Public told to follow lockdown rules
The Ministry of Public Health is urging the public to follow lockdown rules to bring down the number of Covid-19 cases.
Just a 5% increase in following government's rules, along with the vaccination of vulnerable groups could see case numbers begin to fall dramatically in the coming weeks.
Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, public health permanent secretary, said that stronger cooperation from the public is needed to reduce transmission as people have been more mobile during this year's lockdowns.
The call came as the ministry gave an update following two weeks of toughened Covid-19 restrictions including a curfew in 13 of the worst-hit provinces.
"Please be patient and help us reduce mobility. If we can do it, we will see the situation improve over the coming month in the capital and weeks following in other provinces," he said.
Dr Kiattiphum also said both state- and private-run hospitals were almost at full capacity. In Bangkok more than 90% of its 41,659-bed capacity are currently taken, he added.
According to the ministry, people managed to reduce the frequency and duration of their trips out by 80% last April. This year, estimates put that figure at closer to 70%, he said.
Learn from listening
- capacity: the amount of something that can be produced or done - ความสามารถในการ (ระบาย, ผลิต etc.)
- cooperation: working together to achieve a result that will benefit all sides - ความร่วมมือ, การทำงานร่วมกัน
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - เคอร์ฟิว, ห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- dramatically: in a big way - อย่างใหญ่หลวง
- duration: the period of time during which something continues to happen or exist - ช่วงระยะเวลา, ความทนทาน
- frequency: the number of times something happens within a particular period - ความบ่อย
- mobile: able to move or be moved around - ซึ่งเคลื่อนที่ได้ง่าย
- mobility: the ability to move or travel around easily - การเคลื่อนที่ได้ง่าย, การเคลื่อนไหว
- patient: able to wait for a long time without becoming angry or upset - อดทน
- transmission: the spread of a disease from one person or animal to another - การแพร่เชื้อ
- vulnerable: easily damaged or harmed - ซึ่งถูกทำลายได้ง่าย