40,000 people hit by bank fraud
Police are investigating after about 40,000 people lost at least 10 million baht as a result of unauthorised online transactions.
The commissioner of the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB), Pol Lt Gen Kornchai Klaiklung, said the police are in talks with the Bank of Thailand and the Thai Bankers' Association to find a solution.
"Initial checks found around 40,000 people have lost money," Kornchai said, before adding the majority of victims didn't realise their money was being withdrawn as the perpetrators generally charged small amounts -- albeit repeatedly.
Kornchai said such withdrawals are possible if the perpetrators get their hands on customers' bank card details, which are often stored by online retailers and websites.
He said the police suspect multiple gangs are responsible for the crimes.
Some gangs "phish" for their victims' details by sending out text messages which asked them to fill in their personal details in exchange for discounts and other perks, he said.
Meanwhile, some charges and withdrawals were made by store employees who stole their customers' card details when their victims were buying something, he said.
Many victims are sharing their experiences on a Facebook page called "Sharing Experience on Unaware Cash Withdrawals".
They questioned the security and reliability of Thai banks' because they received no alerts when the unauthorised withdrawals were made. Most victims only found out when they went to a bank to update their passbook.
One victim posted her passbook, which showed 13 withdrawals on Oct 11, each for 34.15 baht.
The Facebook account had more than 57,000 followers as of Monday.
Learn from listening
- albeit: although - ถึงแม้ว่า
- alert: a warning to people to be prepared to deal with something dangerous - การเตือนให้ระวัง
- commissioner: the head of a particular police force in some countries - ผู้ตรวจการณ์
- fraud: the crime of intentionally deceiving someone or cheating in order to gain an advantage or benefit - การฉ้อโกง การหลอกลวง เล่ห์เพทุบาย
- gang (noun): a group of criminals who work together; a group of young people who spend time together causing trouble - แก๊ง, กลุ่มโจร
- perk: a benefit or advantage that you get from a situation - ผลประโยชน์เพิ่มเติม, ผลตอบแทนเพิ่ม
- perpetrator: someone who has committed a crime, or a violent or harmful act - ผู้ก่อการ
- phishing: when criminals try to trick people into giving them their secret bank information such as account numbers and passwords - การหลอกลวงทางอินเตอร์เน็ต, การส่งข้อความที่ดูน่าเชื่อถือ เพื่อหลอกลวงให้กรอกข้อมูลส่วนตัว ข้อมูลบัตรเครดิต ฯลฯ ลงไป
- transaction: the action or process of buying or selling something - การค้า
- unaware: not understanding or realising something - ซึ่งไม่รู้ตัวมาก่อน
- withdrawal: taking money out of the bank - การถอนเงิน