Tour bubble plan in works
The government will open discussions to set up travel bubbles with China and Malaysia this month to attract more foreign visitors.
The number of visitors allowed to visit Thailand under the travel bubble arrangement will be capped, and their movements will also be limited to certain areas in an effort to prevent fresh Covid-19 outbreaks, he said.
Under the new travel bubble arrangements, tourists won't have to quarantine upon arrival, but their entry will be subject to special protocols on the kind of visa they can use to come in, where they can stay and which flights to take.
The Association of Thai Travel Agents (Atta) had previously said that the Test & Go scheme alone won't be enough to attract tourists who still have to quarantine upon returning.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said that the Public Health Ministry won't end all virus restrictions yet, as daily infection figures remain high.
However, the ministry will change the way it reports infection numbers, so people can go about their daily lives without too much worry, Mr Anutin said, before adding that daily reports will still be based on facts.
Mr Anutin also said that about 85% of those who tested positive for Covid are asymptomatic, and most are self-isolating at home.
"Therefore, we don't need to bring back lockdowns. Only nightlife venues, such as pubs, bars and karaoke parlours won't be allowed to reopen just yet," Mr Anutin said.
Learn from listening
- asymptomatic (adj): (of a person or illness) having no symptoms, i.e., not signs of a disease or medical condition - ไร้อาการ
- attract: to cause someone to be interested in something - ดึงดูดความสนใจ
- cap: to have an upper limit; to have an upper limit on an amount of money that can be spent or borrowed - มีขีดสูงสุด
- fact: something that is true - ความเป็นจริง
- in the works: being prepared or worked on -
- isolate: to separate from other people - แยกจากกัน
- protocol: a formal international agreement - สนธิสัญญาชั้นต้น
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- scheme: a plan that is developed by a government or large organisation in order to provide a particular service for people - แผนการ โครงการ
- travel bubble: an agreement between two or more countries to open up their borders for travel without strict quarantine -
- worrying (adj): that makes you worry - น่าหนักใจ