No parole for killer
The Department of Corrections on Thursday confirmed that it has not granted parole to a former army sergeant who is serving a 33-year sentence for murder.
The department said Polkrit Wiset has not shown any remorse for his actions.
"Polkrit has shown no remorse for his actions, and he has yet to compensate the victim's relatives," the department said.
Polkrit was not granted parole because authorities are concerned that he may pose a risk to the safety of the victim's relatives, so he will have to serve his sentence as ordered by the court.
The 2014 murder case attracted public attention once again after the victim's mother, Patcharee Punthong, urged the Justice Ministry to review the terms of Polkrit's parole.
She appealed to the ministry after finding out that Polkrit was eligible to apply for parole, despite having only served four years and six months of his 33-year and 11-month sentence for the murder.
In 2017, Polkrit was arrested in Nakhon Ratchasima for the abduction and murder of Ploynarin Palipol, three years after she went missing.
The head of the Crime Victims Assistance Club said he suspected irregularities as Polkrit received a number of sentence reductions even before the case was finalised.
Polkrit's sentence was reduced to nine years in jail last year, he said.
- abduction: taking somebody away illegally, especially using force - การลักพาตัว
- appeal: to make a request that a court change a decision of a lower court - ยื่นอุทธรณ์
- compensate: to pay money to someone because something bad has happened to them - ชดเชย
- irregularity: a situation in which the rules, laws, or usual ways of doing things have not been followed - การปฏิบัติที่ไม่เป็นไปตามระเบียบปกติ
- parole (noun): permission that is given to a prisoner to leave prison before the end of their sentence on condition that they behave well - การพ้นโทษอย่างมีเงื่อนไขหรือทำทัณฑ์บนไว้
- reduction: the process or result of making something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - การลดลง
- remorse: the feeling of being extremely sorry for something wrong or bad that you have done - การสำนึกผิด, ความเสียใจ
- sentence : a punishment given by a court of law - การตัดสินลงโทษ
- victim: someone who has been affected by a bad situation, such as a disaster, illness or an accident - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย