Hermit crab video sparks controversy
Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said he will launch an investigation against a popular YouTuber who published a video clip of himself catching a number of hermit crabs and taking them home to keep.
The minister joined a call by some netizens for Korn "Oaujun" Khunatipapisiri to return the crabs to their natural habitat, which prompted Mr Korn to come out to apologise and promise to return the sea animals to where he had collected them.
In a message posted on his Facebook page, Mr Varawut even urged sponsors and fans to boycott Mr Korn over what the minister described as an action that may influence young people. He said the YouTuber who has about 700,000 subscribers should have been more conscientious as he was setting a bad example.
The minister said he was alerted to the video by two Facebook pages, Happy Nancy and Monsoon Garbage Thailand.
A number of followers of Monsoon Garbage Thailand have also posted their comments against Mr Korn over his video and called on him to return the hermit crabs to nature.
Although hermit crabs aren't listed as a protected species, if Mr Korn is found to have collected the crabs from a national park he will face legal action, said Mr Varawut.
An investigation would next be carried out to find out from where Mr Korn had collected the crabs, he said.
- boycott (verb): to refuse to take part in an activity or to buy a product as a way of expressing strong disapproval - คว่ำบาตร
- controversy: a disagreement that a lot of people have strong feelings about - ความขัดแย้ง
- habitat: the type of place that a particular animal usually lives in or a particular plant usually grows in - ถิ่นที่อยู่ของพืชหรือสัตว์
- influence: to affect or change how someone or something develops, behaves or thinks - มีอิทธิพลต่อ, ชักจูง อำนาจบังคับ
- legal: relating to the law - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- nature: the physical world including all living things as well as the land and the seas - ธรรมชาติ
- netizens (noun): people who use the Internet a lot - พลเมืองเครือข่ายคอมพิวเตอร์
- protected species: an animal or plant protected by law, making it illegal to to kill or harm it -
- spark: to make something happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- sponsor (noun): a person or company that pays for a radio or television programme, or for a concert, campaign or sporting event, usually in return for advertising - ผู้อุปถัมภ์, ผู้ทำการโฆษณาทางวิทยุหรือโทรทัศน์