Estonian drug suspect arrested in Pattaya
Immigration police arrested an Estonian man wanted by Interpol in Pattaya on Tuesday.
Police said Janno Ojaste, 39, was arrested at a house in Bang Lamung district.
The Interpol office in Estonia sent a letter dated Feb 1 asking Thai immigration police to arrest Mr Ojaste, who is wanted in Estonia for drug possession and named in an Interpol Red Notice issued on Jan 28.
Mr Ojaste entered the country on Nov 10, 2017 and his visa expired on Dec 8 the same year. He was a long time overstayer.
He was handed over to Pattaya police for legal action on charge of overstaying his visa. The Pattaya Court sentenced him to three months in jail, suspended for two years, and a fine of 4,000 baht.
Mr Ojaste would be extradited to Estonia, police said.
- arrest: (of the police) taking someone under control (usually taking them to a police station) because they are believed to have committed a crime - การจับกุม
- extradite: to officially send back someone who has been accused or found guilty of a crime to the country where the crime was committed for a trial - ส่งตัวกลับ
- immigration police: the police agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country - สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- Interpol: an international organization that enables the police forces of different countries to help each other to solve crimes - องค์การตำรวจสากล
- overstayer (noun): a person who stays in a country for longer than they are allowed to stay, not leaving when their visa to stay in the country ends -
- possession: having or owning something - การครอบครอง
- suspend a sentence: a situation when the court decides that the person who has been proven guilty of a crime does not have to undergo the punishment given, usually under certain conditions - รอลงอาญา
- visa: an official document or mark in your passport that allows you to enter or leave a country for a specific purpose or period of time - วีซ่า, เอกสารอนุมัติที่ประทับตราบนหนังสือเดินทาง