Cabinet approves Civil Partnership Bill
The cabinet has approved the Civil Partnership Bill, which allows same-sex couples to register their partnership.
The Council of State had already vetted the bill and the legal amendments, which were forwarded to the cabinet on Tuesday. Following the cabinet approval, they will be put to a vote in the House of Representatives.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday that the Civil Partnership Bill was a new law in response to global changes, particularly gender equality and sexual diversity.
Same-sex engagement and marriages affected some existing laws that must be amended.
The bill defines civil partners as couples born with the same gender. Civil unions will be available to same-sex couples who are at least 17 years old as long as at least one is a Thai national.
Civil partners will have the same legal rights as married people regarding personal and jointly held property, as well as the right to adopt children.
When one partner dies, the other will have the same inheritance rights as conventional married couples.
A man or a woman can face a divorce lawsuit if he or she treats someone else as a civil partner.
- amend: to make changes to a document, law, agreement, etc. especially in order to improve it - แก้ไข
- amendment: a small change that is made to a law -
- bill: a proposal for a law - ร่างกฎหมาย
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- Council of State: an official organisation that advises the government on proposed laws and other legal matters - คณะกรรมการกฤษฎีกาและสำนักงานคณะกรรมการกฤษฎีกา
- diversity: including many different types of things or people - ความหลากหลาย
- divorce: to take legal action to end a marriage - หย่า
- existing (adj): present now; in use now; used now - ที่มีอยู่
- gender: the fact of being either male or female. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female. - เพศ
- House of Representatives: the main lawmaking body in Thailand - สภาผู้แทนราษฎร
- inheritance: money or objects that someone gives you when they die - มรดก
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- property: land owned by someone - ที่ดิน, อสังหาริมทรัพย์
- union: marriage -
- vetting: examining something or someone carefully to make certain that they are acceptable or suitable - ตรวจสอบ