'Post-pandemic day' this Friday
The Public Health Ministry will declare the country to be in a post-pandemic Covid-19 stage on Friday, as the disease will likely cause only small and medium clusters from now.
Health permanent secretary Kiattiphum Wongrajit said, “We will keep to our schedule to announce a post-pandemic era on July 1. And what we expect to see is only small or medium clusters that will not do any harm to our public health service. The disease will be under control.”
He admitted that two new Covid-19 subvariants, BA.4 and BA.5, had already arrived, but said the extent of their severity and transmissibility had not been confirmed. There had not been any significant change in the number of severe cases admitted to hospitals, he said.
The health ministry planned to announce a post-pandemic stage, instead of declaring Covid-19 an endemic disease, on July 1, Dr Kiattiphum said.
It had decided to wait for the World Health Organization to declare endemic status first.
After the post-pandemic announcement, the ministry would reconsider the state’s responsibility for Covid-19 treatment payments, Dr Kiattiphum said. At present the government pays for the treatment.
Learn from listening
- cluster (verb): to come together in a small group or groups - ทำให้อยู่รวมเป็นกลุ่ม
- declare: to announce officially - ประกาศ
- endemic: regularly found in a particular place or among a particular group of people and difficult to get rid of - ประจำท้องถิ่น
- harm: damage - ความเสียหาย
- pandemic: a disease that affects almost everyone in a very large area - โรคที่มีการแพร่กระจายหรือระบาดไปทั่ว
- post-: after something happens .... -
- reconsider: to think again about a decision in order to decide whether you should change it - พิจารณาอีกครั้ง
- responsibility: a duty; a duty to deal with or take care of somebody/something, so that you may be blamed if something goes wrong - ความรับผิดชอบ
- schedule: a list of things intended to be done - ตารางเวลา
- severe: very serious and unpleasant - รุนแรง
- severity: seriousness - ความรุนแรง
- transmissible: (of a disease) able to be passed on from one person to another -