Thailand bars anti-junta Myanmar model
A Myanmar model who took refuge in Thailand after speaking out against the military coup in her homeland has been denied entry after a trip abroad and detained at Suvarnabhumi airport.
Han Lay, Miss Grand International Myanmar 2020, was returning to Thailand from Vietnam and arrived at the airport on Wednesday afternoon.
An immigration officer spotted an irregularity on Han Lay’s passport, so she was denied entry.
Her manager had said that Han Lay, also known Thaw Nandar Aung, was the subject of an Interpol notice but this could not be confirmed.
A source said Han Lay’s passport might have been revoked by Myanmar's military junta, hence the irregularity and her inability to enter Thailand.
She will be sent back to Vietnam or she can fly to an alternative destination subject to approval by the airline she flew with.
Han Lay, 23, captured international attention last year with a moving speech at the Miss Grand International pageant in Bangkok, where she called for urgent help for Myanmar’s people.
An arrest warrant was reportedly issued against her by the Myanmar military afterward. At the time she said she was in contact with her family and that they were safe. She had been living in Thailand ever since.
Myanmar has been in crisis since a coup in February last year triggered protests that the military suppressed with lethal force and thousands of arrests.
Learn from listening
- alternative: another choice - ทางเลือก, ตัวเลือก
- arrest warrant: a document signed by a judge allowing police to arrest someone - หมายจับ
- bar: to officially not allow someone to do something or go somewhere - ห้าม
- coup: the seizure of power in a country by a group of people, usually members of the armed forces - รัฐประหาร
- crisis: a situation that has reached and extremely difficult or dangerous point - ช่วงวิกฤต
- denied: a refusal to allow somebody to have something - ปฎิเสธ, ไม่ยอมรับ
- immigration officer: an official who works for the government agency dealing with people entering and leaving the country and those who want to live there - เจ้าหน้าที่สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง
- Interpol: an international organization that enables the police forces of different countries to help each other to solve crimes - องค์การตำรวจสากล
- irregularity: something that is not according to what is expected - ความผิดปกติ
- junta: a group of military officers that governs a country, usually without having been elected - รัฐบาลทหาร
- lethal: very dangerous and able to kill you - เป็นอันตรายถึงชีวิต
- pageant: a competition to choose the most beautiful from a group of women - ประกวดนางงาม
- refuge: a place where you go to protect yourself from something dangerous or threatening - ที่ลี้ภัย ที่หลบภัย
- revoke: to officially say that something is no longer legal - เพิกถอน
- suppress: to prevent something from growing, developing or continuing - อดกลั้น, ยับยั้ง, ระงับ
- urgent: needing to be dealt with immediately - ที่เร่งด่วน