Chuwit hands 'triad details' to ministry
Former politician and massage parlour tycoon Chuwit Kamolvisit has urged the Justice Ministry to probe major Chinese triad gangs believed to be laundering money through "grey businesses" in the country.
Mr Chuwit on Monday went to the ministry, where he submitted documents related to the alleged financial activities of major triad gangs.
His move follows claims he made on Thursday that the triad gangs' alleged boss named Mr Tuhao, fled the country with the assistance of certain state officials on a jet just hours after police raided a pub linked to him in Bangkok's Yannawa district last month.
Mr Chuwit had requested the DSI investigate the matter and seize the triads' assets.
He has been offered witness protection as the case has received much attention from the public.
Mr Chuwit has expressed concerns over the fact that Mr Tuhao has not had a police arrest warrant issued for him; therefore, he decided to hand what he said was evidence of the triads' financial transactions over to the authorities.
Learn from listening
- assets: things owned by a person, company etc., particularly money and property - ทรัพย์สิน
- claim (noun): saying that something is true although it has not been proved and other people may not believe it - ข้ออ้าง ข้อกล่าวหา
- flee (past form: fled) (verb): to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger or consequences - หนี
- Justice Ministry (noun): The ministry in charge of the criminal justice system in Thaialnd. As well as running prisons and aiding the Royal Thai Police, the ministry also run the government's drug and narcotic control policies - กระทรวงยุติธรรม
- laundering: money laundering; laundering money; hiding the origin of money obtained from illegal activities by putting it into legal businesses - การฟอกเงิน
- protection: the act of protecting somebody/something; the state of being protected - การอารักขา, การปกป้อง
- raid: to forcefully and suddenly enter a place to catch criminals or to search for something like drugs - ใช้กำลังเข้าค้นสถานที่หรือ จับกุมคนร้าย
- seize (verb): to take control of by force or official power - ยึกครอง
- state: government - รัฐ
- triad: a secret Chinese organisation involved in illegal activities such as selling drugs -
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย
- witness: a person who sees something happen or knows about something - ผู้ที่เห็นเหตุการณ์, พยาน