Prayut considers party switch
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he is considering a move to join the newly-established United Thai Nation Party (UTN) or Ruam Thai Sang Chart.
He spoke about the matter for the first time on Wednesday.
He refused to comment when pressed for an answer on his political future. He only said: "It will become clear next year.''
UTN's leader, a former Democrat MP, on Wednesday denied Prayut applied for party membership on Monday.
The likelihood of Prayut moving to the UTN gained momentum after he reportedly met Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, the PPRP's leader, in Bangkok last Sunday.
Prayut is believed to have informed Prawit of his plan to switch parties ahead of the coming general election.
A PPRP MP said several party MPs were considering whether to stay put or defect to the UTN.
If Prayut is re-elected by parliament as prime minister after the next election expected in the first half of next year, he could only serve as PM for another two years as his premiership will end in 2025.
Learn from listening
- aide: someone whose job is to help another person in their work - ผู้ช่วย
- back: to support - สนับสนุน
- consider: to give careful thought to something before making a decision - พิจารณา
- defect: to leave a political party, organisation, or country and go to another one - ย้ายพรรค
- denied (verb): said that something is not true or did not happen - ปฏิเสธ
- found: to start an organization, company, political party etc - สร้าง, ก่อตั้ง, สถาปนา
- general election (noun): an election in which all or most members of a given political body are chosen. The term is usually used to refer to elections held for a nation's primary legislative body, as distinguished from by-elections and local elections (Source: Wikipedia) - การเลือกตั้งทั่วไป
- likelihood: the chance that something will happen - ความเป็นไปได้
- matter: a situation or subject which is being dealt with or considered - เรื่อง, ภารกิจ, งาน
- party: an organized group of people who have similar ideas about the way in which a country should be governed, and who work together to try to persuade people to vote for them in elections - พรรค การเมือง
- premiership: the position of prime minister - นายกรัฐมนตรี
- switch: to change - เปลี่ยน