Late nightlife plan postponed again
published : 7 Dec 2022 at 09:03
writer: Gary Boyle
The Tourism and Sports Ministry reportedly postponed its plan to seek cabinet approval for its proposal to allow some night entertainment venues to open beyond the 2am closing time.
The proposal, initially planned for submission to the cabinet for consideration on Tuesday after being postponed from last month, will now be forwarded to the cabinet on Dec 20.
The Tourism and Sports Minister said on Tuesday the proposal was unlikely to be implemented in January as initially planned while adding it could be implemented after March.
The ministry had selected locations in nine provinces for the scheme, with nightspots on Bangla Road in Patong of Phuket to be the first to be allowed to operate until 4am if the cabinet approves the proposal.
The proposal, aimed at boosting the tourism industry and local economies, has drawn criticism from anti-drink driving groups who fear extended hours would lead to more alcohol consumption and more accidents.
Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the ministry disagrees with extending the night venue operating hours. He said the current 2am closing time is appropriate due to the Covid-19 situation.
- appropriate: (opposite: inappropriate) suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose - ที่เหมาะสม
- approve: to give official permission - อนุมัต
- boost: to increase - เพิ่ม
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- consideration: giving careful thought to something before making a decision - การคิดพิจารณา
- criticism: comments that show that you think something is wrong or bad - การวิจารณ์
- implement: to make something such as an idea, plan, system or law start to work and be used - นำแผนหรือนโยบายมาปฏิบัติ, นำมาใช้
- postponed: delayed; decided that something will be done at a later time - เลื่อนออกไป
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- submission: formally giving something to someone so that can make a decision about it - การยื่น (เอกสาร) เพื่อการพิจารณา