Singaporean suspect denied bail
published : 19 Jan 2023 at 11:32
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Post Reporters
The Criminal Court on Wednesday denied bail to a Singaporean held over alleged connections with the Forex-3D Ponzi scheme.
Daryl Cai Younghui, 32, a close associate of Apirak Kothi, the founder of the Ponzi scheme, was arrested on Monday at Phuket airport while waiting to catch a flight to his home country.
The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on Wednesday sought to detain him for 12 days for further questioning and opposed a bail request.
Mr Younghui's lawyer submitted a request worth 500,000 baht as he told the court his client agreed to wear a tracking device while on bail.
The court rejected the proposal and deemed him a flight risk.
Responding to the news, Italian-Thai model Sarah Casinghini, the suspect's wife, said her husband would prove his innocence.
According to the DSI, Mr Younghui colluded with Mr Apirak in operating the Forex-3D Ponzi scheme in which more than 9,800 people fell prey with damages estimated at 2.5 billion baht.
Mr Younghui's arrest followed the couple's appearance on a talk show on the ONE31 digital TV channel on Jan 11.
Ms Casinghini claimed on the programme that she was not involved in the Forex-3D scheme, adding that her husband had returned to Thailand to try and prove he was innocent of any crimes linked to the scheme.
Mr Younghui was reported to have fled to Singapore from Thailand on Oct 25 last year, after the DSI pressed charges against him, including colluding to obtain loans to defraud and public fraud.
- associate: someone you work with, especially in a business - ที่ร่วมมือกัน
- bail: money that is given to a court when someone is allowed to stay out of prison until their trial. If they do not return for the trial, the court keeps the money - เงินประกัน; การประกันตัว
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- detain: to keep someone in a police station or prison and not allow them to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- flight risk: someone who is likely to try to escape to avoid being punished -
- fraud: something (or someone) that deceives people by not being what it seems to be; bogus - ไม่แท้ การโกง การหลอกลวง
- innocence: the condition of not having done anything wrong or illegal - ความบริสุทธิ์
- oppose: to disagree with or not approve of a plan or policy - คัดค้าน
- ponzi scheme: an investment scam that promises big profits with little risk, older investors profit from money from new investors, but when new investors can no longer be attracted the whole thing collapses and all the later investors lose their money. (Source: Investopedia) - แชร์ลูกโซ่
- prove: to use facts, evidence, etc. to show that something is true - พิสูจน์
- scheme: a plan for achieving something, especially something illegal or dishonest - แผนการ (ที่มีท่าว่าจะผิดกฎหมาย)
- tracking (noun): following the course of a moving object such as a ship, aircraft or animal using special equipment - การติดตาม, การตามรอย