Court orders daughter, bank to pay B200m for theft
published : 20 Jan 2023 at 14:36
writer: Gary Boyle
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Online Reporters
The Phra Khanong Civil Court has ordered a woman, two bank employees and a bank to pay more than 200 million baht in compensation to an elderly woman over the theft of over 250 million baht from her accounts.
The court announced its ruling on Thursday in the suit filed by Huay Sriwirat against her daughter Mawadee Sriwirat, four bank employees and Kasikornbank (KBank). Ms Huay demanded 350.35 million baht in compensation from them.
On Dec 29 last year, the Phra Khranong Criminal Court sentenced Ms Mawadee, 53, to 20 years in jail for forgery, using forged documents and theft. The court also sentenced Ms Thipaporn Daengsawat, who was a bank employee, to 2 years in jail for forgery and using forged documents.
The lawyer of Ms Huay said on Thursday that the Phra Khanong Civil Court ordered KBank to pay 44.64 million baht and Ms Mawadee to pay 117.09 million baht.
The lawyer said the court also ordered two other defendants, who were bank employees, to pay 100,000 baht.
In November 2019, Mrs Huay, then 76, had sued her daughter, the bank and four bank employees for stealing money from her two bank accounts while she was bedridden in 2014.
While Ms Huay was in hospital, the accused allegedly changed the condition for withdrawing money from her accounts from her signature to a fingerprint.
About 253 million baht had been taken from the accounts through many hundreds of withdrawals, according to the lawyer.
- bedridden: having to stay in bed all the time; cannot leave your bed -
- compensation (noun): money that someone receives because something bad has happened to them - การจ่ายเงินชดเชย
- defendants (nloun): people who have been accused of a crime and are on trial - จำเลย
- forge: to make illegal copies of something valuable, especially in order to earn money - ปลอมแปลง
- forgery: the crime of making illegal copies of something valuable, especially in order to earn money - การปลอมแปลงเอกสาร
- lawyer: an attorney - ทนาย
- ruling (noun): a judgement; a decision by a court of law - คำตัดสิน คำชี้ขาด
- sue: to take legal action against a person or organisation, especially by making a legal claim for money because of some harm that they have caused you - ฟ้องร้อง
- suit (noun): lawsuit; a case that a court is asked to decide involving a disagreement between two people or groups - คดีที่ยื่นฟ้องต่อศาล คดีที่อยู่ในระหว่างการฟ้องร้อง