House speaker rift widens
A rift is widening between the Move Forward Party (MFP) and Pheu Thai over who gets the role of House speaker.
MFP deputy leader Sirikanya Tansakun on Thursday said that the MFP needed to take the post.
She shrugged off speculation that the rift might cause Pheu Thai to pull out of the new coalition.
She also assured her party would not stab any of its partners in the back and welcomed talks.
Writing on Facebook on Tuesday, MFP's Piyabutr Saengkanokkul said that the post of House speaker is one that the MFP "can't afford to lose".
Pheu Thai leader, Cholnan Srikaew, criticised Mr Piyabutr's remarks, saying they were an attempt to pressure coalition partners.
The House speaker is one of the most important roles in politics, overseeing House meetings and the agenda. If the MFP wants to fulfil its campaign promises, it needs to take control of the post, according to sources.
Another important task of the House speaker is to give the name of a prime minister selected by parliament for royal endorsement.
Deputy Pheu Thai leader, Sutin Klungsang, said on Thursday that Pheu Thai is negotiating over the House speaker's post.
"Honour and dignity should be shared. When the MFP wants the post of prime minister, the House speaker's role should be filled by Pheu Thai," Mr Sutin said.
Learn from listening
- coalition: a temporary union of different political parties that agree to form a government together - พรรคร่วมรัฐบาล
- criticise: to say that you disapprove of somebody/something; to say what you do not like or think is wrong about somebody/something - วิจารณ์, ติเตียน,จับผิด
- dignity: respect that other people have for you or that you have for yourself - ศักดิ์ศรี
- endorsement: official approval - การรับรอง การลงนามในเอกสาร
- fulfil: to do or have what is required or necessary - บำเพ็ญ
- honour: having high moral standards - เกียรติยศ, เกียรติ
- House Speaker: the person who is in charge of most of the activities of the House of Representatives - ประธานสภาผู้แทนราษฎร
- oversee: to watch something to see that it happens as it should - ตรวจดู
- party (noun): one of the people or groups of people involved in a situation, an official argument or arrangement - คู่กรณี
- pressure: to try to make someone do something by forcing, threatening, or persuading them in a determined way - กดดัน
- rift: a serious disagreement between two people or groups - ความแตกร้าว
- shrug off: to show that something does not worry or upset you - ไม่เอาใจใส่, ไม่สนใจ
- stab in the back: to do or say something that harms somebody who trusts you - หักหลัง, ทรยศ
- widen: to become wider; to make something wider - ทำให้กว้าง, ทำให้ขยายออก, ทำให้ขยายกว้าง