Rice miller corruption
published : 8 Jul 2013 at 12:58
writer: Jon Fernquest
Millers in govt pledging scheme caught with missing & rotting rice. Milling machines broken, say millers.
Rice farmers in Bangkok’s Nong Chok district inspect their crops, which will be ready for harvest soon. Many farmers are selling the crop under the rice pledging scheme which pays 15,000 baht per tonne. The government recently overturned a decision to cut the price to 12,000 baht per tonne. (Photo by Thanarak Khoonton)
Four rice mill operators will be charged with embezzlement after rice stocks in their warehouses were found to not match the amounts reported to the government.
Deputy national police chief Worapong Chiewpreecha said the Public Warehouse Organisation will file theft charges against the operators as recommended by the government task force on rice corruption.
He said there is solid evidence to back theft charges against Wongchai Charoenchaikij mill in Chai Nat, Faipinyo Panich mill in Pathum Thani, Eksuwan Karnkha mill in Songkhla and Rung-arun mill in Phatthalung.
At Wongchai Charoenchaikij mill, the rice stocks were 555 tonnes short of milled rice and the stocks were badly contaminated.
At Faipinyo Panich mill, 12.3 tonnes of milled rice was missing. Eksuwan Karnkha mill had 244.1 tonnes of paddy rice missing and another 180.2 tonnes of milled rice missing.
Rung-arun mill had more paddy rice in its stocks than reported.
Pol Gen Worapong said an in-depth investigation has been ordered into the irregularities at the mills to determine if state authorities were involved. He was speaking after chairing a meeting of police conducting the inspections.
Pol Gen Worapong said the four mills are among 27 warehouses and mills where irregularities were found in recent nationwide rice stock inspections in the wake of graft allegations.
The Department of Internal Trade has ordered eight rice mills and warehouses to suspend rice-pledging activities following the inspections, he said.
These warehouses have more paddy rice than reported but the milled rice is missing, Pol Gen Worapong said. They have been instructed to mill the paddy rice pending another round of inspections.
The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has been asked to inspect 11 rice mills in Nakhon Ratchasima where paddy rice stocks exceed reported amounts.
"Some millers claimed their machines are out of order. Some claimed they are paid rice, not money, for their services [to other customers]," Pol Gen Worapong said.
Learn from listening
- allegation: an accusation; a statement that someone has done something wrong or illegal even though this has not been proved - ข้อกล่าวหา
- authorities: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- back: to support - ให้การสนับสนุน
- chair: to be the person in charge of a meeting, committee, or company - ดำรงตำแหน่งประธาน, ทำหน้าที่ในฐานะประธาน
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- claim (noun): saying that something is true although it has not been proved and other people may not believe it - ข้ออ้าง ข้อกล่าวหา
- conduct: to do something in an organised way; to carry out — - ลงมือทำ, ดำเนิน, ปฏิบัติ
- contaminated: made dirty, polluted or poisonous by the addition of a chemical, waste or infection - ปนเปื้อน
- crop: a plant grown for food, usually on a farm - พืชผล
- determine: to discover something by examining evidence to or calculate something - กำหนด, ระบุ, แสดงผล
- embezzlement: the crime of secretly taking money that is in your care or that belongs to an organisation or business you work for - การยักยอกเงิน, การฉ้อโกงเงิน
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- exceed: to be more than something; to go beyond a limit - เกินกว่าที่กำหนด
- graft: corruption - การฉ้อโกง
- harvest (noun): the activity of collecting a crop - การเก็บเกี่ยวผลผลิต
- in the wake of: happening after an event or as a result of it - สืบเนื่องมาจาก
- in-depth (adjective): thorough and detailed; going deeply into some issue or subject and looking at the details - ลึกซึ้ง
- inspect: to look at something carefully - ตรวจสอบ, ตรวจสอบอย่างละเอียด
- inspection: an official process of checking that things are in the correct condition or that people are doing what they should - การตรวจสอบตรวจตรา
- instruct (verb): to tell somebody to do something, especially in a formal or official way - สั่ง
- investigation: the process of trying to find out all the details or facts about something in order to discover who or what caused it or how it happened - การสอบสวน, การตรวจสอบหาข้อเท็จจริง
- irregularity: a situation in which the rules, laws, or usual ways of doing things have not been followed - การปฏิบัติที่ไม่เป็นไปตามระเบียบปกติ
- mill (noun): a building fitted with machinery for crushing, cutting or grinding something - โรงสี, โรงเลื่อย
- miller (noun): a person who owns or works in a mill - เจ้าของโรงสี
- missing (adj): lost; not able to find someone/something; not in the usual place because it has been removed or lost - ซึ่งหายไป
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- on hand: at a place and available for something; present - ปรากฎอยู่
- operator (noun): a person or company that runs a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- out of order: not working correctly - ซึ่งไม่สามารถใช้งานได้
- overturn: to officially decide that a policy, legal decision, etc. is not correct, and to make it no longer valid - ล้มล้าง พลิกคว่ำ
- paddy: rice as it comes from the field after harvest - ข้าวเปลือก
- pending: waiting to be dealt with, settled or completed - ยังค้างอยู่, ซึ่งยังไม่จบสิ้น, อยู่ในระหว่าง
- recent: happening or starting a short time ago - เร็วๆ นี้
- recommended: suggested; saying that something is very good or useful - เป็นที่แนะนำ
- report (verb): to tell someone officially that something exists or happened - รายงาน
- rice pledging scheme: a government programme in which a fixed price, in this case well above the market price, is offered to rice farmers for their harvested rice - การจำนำข้าว
- rot (verb): when something like food goes bad, decays and cannot be eaten anymore - ทำให้เน่าเปื่อย
- round (noun): one in a series; one time something was done when it was done many times - รอบ
- short of: not having enough of something - ขาดแคลน
- solid: completely good, with no mistakes or bad parts - ซึ่งไว้ใจได้, มีเหตุผล
- spoil (verb): when food is old and cannot be eaten anymore - เน่าเสีย, ทำให้เสียหาย
- stocks (noun): the total amount of something that is available for people to use - ปริมาณ/จำนวนที่สะสมไว้
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- task force: a group of people who are brought together to do a particular job, or a large military group who have a military aim to achieve - คณะทำงานเฉพาะกิจ, กองกำลังเฉพาะกิจ
- theft (noun): (the act of) dishonestly taking something which belongs to someone else and keeping it - การลักขโมย
- trade: the buying and selling of goods and services - การค้าขาย
- warehouse: a large building for storing things - โกดังสินค้า, คลังสินค้า, โรงพัสดุ