Tablets: Teachers still waiting
published : 15 Jul 2013 at 17:57
writer: Jon Fernquest
60,000 teachers still missing tablet one year after students received tablets.
Teachers and students have both been generally pleased by the decision to put tablets in the classroom, but after a year many of these children would like something better, like an iPad.
Teachers say device wait doesn't compute
Prathom 1 students who received their tablets a year ago were unable to receive guidance from teachers.
An agreement has now been reached.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Minister Anudith Nakornthap said the tablets for the teachers are expected to arrive in the next few months.
Surapol Navamavadhana, an adviser to the ICT minister, said the contract was signed on July 2 to procure 59,384 tablets at a cost of $87.35 (2,700 baht) for each unit. All of the tablets are expected to be delivered within 60 days.
He said teachers' tablet specifications were similar to first graders' except for the HDMI port which could transfer data from the source device to a compatible computer monitor, projector or digital television.
Nannapath Sriprateth, a Prathom 1 teacher at Rajavinit School, said all of her students who received tablets had already passed on to Prathom 2 and took the devices with them.
However, the policy clearly stated that teachers would be provided with the tablets and it should be carried out, she said.
An Education Ministry source said the delay meant the tablets would be obsolete by the time the teachers received them.
He said the price also appears to be too high, given the delay.
Of the schools which had received the tablets, 98.8% of them used the devices in teaching, while only 0.8% did not use them despite having received them.
Most schools allowed students to use tablets for one hour a day.
Learn from listening
- absent (adjective): when a student does not come to a class meeting -
- advisor (noun): a person who gives advice, especially somebody who knows a lot about a particular subject - ที่ปรึกษา
- authorities: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- charge (verb): putting electricity in the battery of a mobile phone, computer or other electronic device so that you can use it without being plugged in -
- compatible: able to exist or be used together without causing problems - ซึ่งสอดคล้องกัน,ซึ่งเข้ากันได้,ซึ่งอยู่ด้วยกันได้
- contract: an official written agreement - สัญญา
- data: facts or information used for making calculations or decisions - ข้อมูล
- delay (noun): causing to happen at a later time; happening at a later time than expected - การเลื่อน, ช้ากว่าปกติ
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- digital: using a system of receiving and sending information as a series of the numbers one and zero, showing that an electronic signal is there or is not there - ซึ่งรับส่งข้อมูลด้วยการใช้ตัวเลข
- distribute: to give something to a group of people - แจกจ่าย
- flaw: a fault; something wrong with something - ข้อบกพร่อง
- guidance: help and advice about how to do something or about how to deal with problems - การแนะแนว, การแนะนำ
- launch: an event held to start selling a new product or service to the public - การเริ่มวางขาย
- launch (verb): to start something - เริ่มต้น, เปิดโครงการ, เริ่มทำ
- monitor: a television screen used to show particular kinds of information; a screen that shows information from a computer - เครื่องโทรทัศน์วงจรปิด, จอคอมพิวเตอร์
- port (noun): a place on a computer that cables or wires can be attached to send data to or communicate with the computer -
- procure: to buy supplies or equipment for a government department or company - จัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- programming (noun): computer programming, the highly-skilled work of writing computer programs and apps -
- projector: a piece of equipment for projecting photographs, films/movies or computer slides onto a screen - เครื่องฉายภาพ
- screen (noun): a display on a phone, computer, etc. that shows information -
- specifications: a detailed description of how something is, or should be, designed or made - ข้อมูลจำเพาะ (มักปรากฏท้ายคู่มือผลิตภัณฑ์ต่างๆ เช่น เครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้า)
- supplier: a person or company that supplies goods - ผู้จัดหาสิ่งของให้, ผู้ผลิตสินค้าและวัตถุดิบ
- survey: to ask a large number of people questions to find out their opinions - สำรวจ
- tablet computer: a small light-weight computer device shaped like a book; e.g, iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc. -
- transfer: to move someone or something from one place, vehicle, person or group to another - ย้าย