Lao language mistakes by channel 7
published : 24 Jan 2014 at 16:16
writer: Jon Fernquest
After channel 7 airs ridiculously incorrect Lao translations of Thai words, social media erupts in anger & channel 7 makes formal apology to Laos ambassador.
Channel 7 is ridiculed for mistranslating Lao words in a news programme, including the word for train, which it said meant 'moving row of houses'.
Channel 7 under fire over incorrect Thai-Lao translations
Bangkok Broadcasting and Television's (BBTV) Channel 7 has been ridiculed after mistranslating Lao words in one of its news programmes.
The programme mistranslated delivery room as "monsoon room", red light as meaning "light of power", green light as "light of freedom", train as "moving row of houses", tissue paper as "sanitary pad" and sanitary pad as "fabric amulet for keeping out blood".
The Thai and Lao languages are closely related and derive from the same root.
A Lao reporter told the Bangkok Post: "The translation from Lao to Thai shown in Thailand's Channel 7 shows their lack of professionalism and ignorance. They can do better than this. There are many Lao language experts in Thailand. This is totally unacceptable."
In a post directed at Channel 7, Facebook user Putipon Ai Kupongsy wrote: "You are insulting and disrespecting us Lao people and this was on national TV. No wonder Thailand is in turmoil, thanks to your stupid media."
Another commentator Phonesawanh Thongmanivong wrote on his Facebook page: "Thailand is the most racist country in the world. The people who put this on TV should be fired because there was no checking at all."
Facebook user Noi Soulivanh Sisopon added: "You Thais are biting at each other and you still have the courage to compare our language with yours. Keep laughing people."
A Thai Facebook user by the name Love You Thailand wrote that the mistranslations were the responsibility of Channel 7, arguing that Lao people should not blame the whole country for the channel's mistake.
Channel 7 issues a statement, apologising for mistranslating Lao words.
Learn from listening
- ambassador: a senior official who lives in a foreign country and represents his or her own country there - ทูต
- amulet: a small object that some people wear around their neck as a protection against evil, bad luck, disease etc - เครื่องราง
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- apology: an act of saying sorry - คำขอโทษ
- argue: to give reasons why you think that something is right/wrong, true/not true, etc, especially to persuade people that you are right - ห้เหตุผล, อ้างเหตุผล
- blame: to be responsible for something bad - เหตุขัดข้อง
- broadcast: a programme that can be seen or heard on television or radio - แพร่ภาพกระจายเสียง
- broadcasting (noun): the sending out of a programme on television or radio - กระจายเสียง,กระจายข่าว
- channel (noun): TV channel - ช่อง, ช่องโทรทัศน์
- check: to look at something written or work that has been done and make sure it is correct - ตรวจ, ตรวจสอบ,
- commentator: someone whose job is to write about a particular subject or discuss it on television or radio - ผู้วิจารณ์,ผู้ออกความเห็น, ผู้บรรยายข่าว
- courage (noun): the ability to do something that you know is right or good, even though it is dangerous, frightening, or very difficult - ความกล้าหาญ
- criticise: to say that you disapprove of somebody/something; to say what you do not like or think is wrong about somebody/something - วิจารณ์, ติเตียน,จับผิด
- delivery room: the special room in a hospital where women give birth to babies, where babies are "delivered" by doctors, nurses and midwifes - ห้องคลอด
- disrespect: to treat someone or something without respect - ไม่นับถือ,ไม่มีสัมมาคารวะ
- executive: a senior manager in a business or other organisation - ผู้บริหาร
- expert: someone who has a particular skill or who knows a lot about a particular subject - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- fabric: cloth, especially when it is used for making things such as clothes or curtains - ผ้าหรือสิ่งทอ
- fire: to make someone leave their job, sometimes as a punishment - ไล่ออก
- freedom: the state of not being a prisoner - อิสรภาพ, เสรีภาพ
- ignorance: a lack of knowledge or information about something - ความไม่รู้
- inaccurate: not completely correct or exact - ซึ่งคลาดเคลื่อน,ซึ่งไม่ถูกต้อง
- insult: to say or do something to someone that is rude or offensive - พูดแดกดัน, พูดจาบจ้วง
- issue: matter; a subject that people discuss or argue about - ประเด็น
- issue: to announce something officially - ออกประกาศ
- lack of: when there is not enough of something - ขาด
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- message: a piece of written or spoken information that you send to someone, especially when you cannot speak to them directly - ข่าวสาร, ข้อความ
- mistake (noun): something that you do that is not correct, an error - ความผิดพลาด, ข้อผิดพลาด,ความเข้าใจผิด
- mistranslate: to give the wrong meaning - ตีความผิด
- monsoon: the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot Asian countries - มรสุม
- national (adjective): for the whole country - แห่งชาติ, ของชาติ
- partially: in part, but not completely - บางส่วน
- post: to put a notice, etc. in a public place so that people can see it - ปิดประกาศ
- post: to send information, in this case, to a website -
- power (noun): energy from electricity - พลังงาน, พลังงานกล,พลัง, กำลัง, แรง
- producer: a person who makes the practical and financial arrangements needed to make a film, play, television or radio programme - ผู้อำนวยการสร้างภาพยนต์, ผู้ผลิต
- racist: someone who does not like or respect people who belong to races that are different from their own and who believes their race is better than others - คนที่กีดกันหรือเหยียดเชื้อชาติ
- responsibility: deserving to be blamed for something that has happened - ความรับผิดชอบ
- ridicule: to make somebody/something look silly by laughing at them or it in an unkind way - เยาะเย้ย, ล้อเลียน
- sanitary pad: sanitary napkin, sanitary towel, used my women to absorb the blood of their monthly menstruation - ผ้าอนามัย, ผ้าเตี่ยว, ผ้าขัดหนอกผู้หญิงสำหรับซับระดูหรืออยู่กระดานไฟ
- sensitivity: needed to be dealt with very carefully to not cause anger or offence - ความละเอียดอ่อน
- social network: websites or other services on the internet for communication with people who share your interests - เครือข่ายสังคม
- translation (noun): words that have been changed from one language to another; the process of changing something that is written or spoken into another language - การแปล, การแปลเอกสาร การแปลโดยทั่วไป
- turmoil: a state of uncontrolled activity - การจราจล ความไม่สงบ
- unacceptable: that you cannot accept, allow or approve of - ซึ่งไม่สามารถยอมรับได้