UPDATED: Thaksin's ex-wife flees Emporium (video)
published : 27 Feb 2014 at 16:17
writer: Jon Fernquest
Thaksin's ex-wife Potjaman harassed by whistle blowers, pursued, flees Emporium mall.
Potjaman whistlers' home attacked: Pipe-bomb fails to explode
Image of a pipe bomb posted by Nattapol Teepsuwan on his Facebook.
Early Friday morning, a home-made pipe bomb was thrown into the house of core anti-government protesters who blew whistles at Khunying Potjaman na Pombejra. It failed to explode. Nattapol Teepsuwan, a co-leader of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), revealed the attack on his home on his Facebook page at 2.20am Friday.
Read full story here
Thaksin's ex-wife pursued, flees Emporium mall
Khunying Potjaman na Pombejra, former wife of Thaksin Shinawatra, was chased by anti-government whistleblowers inside a fashionable shopping mall in Bangkok's Sukhumvit area on Wednesday, and the incident was caught on video and shared online.
In the video, Khunying Potjaman is seen being harassed by a group of protesters led by Nattapol and Thaya Theepsuwan, co-leaders of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), at the Emporium department store.
"My friend phoned me to say that Khunying Potjaman was shopping in a Louis Vuitton store at the Emporium," Mrs Thaya told the crowd at the Pathumwan rally site. "I wondered how can anyone have the desire to shop following days of tragedy, so my husband (Mr Nattapol, a former Democrat Party MP) and I decided to see if it was really her."
Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, as adviser to the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), slammed Mr Nattapol and Mrs Thaya for harassing Thaksin's ex-wife.
"They're violating the rights of others. Khunying Potjaman and Thaksin were divorced a long time ago," Mr Surapong said.
"Actually, Khunying Potjaman does not like politics and is not involved in politics. She and Thaksin separated many years ago and she is living a simple life like other normal people," Mr Noppadon said.
Learn from listening
- accept: to agree to or approve of something - ยอมรับ
- advisor (noun): a person who gives advice, especially somebody who knows a lot about a particular subject - ที่ปรึกษา
- blow whistles: to say that something is improper or not good -
- bodyguard: a person or a group of people who are employed to protect somebody - องครักษ์,คนคุ้มกัน
- came close to: almost did .... -
- caretaker: in charge for a short time, until a new leader or government is chosen - รักษาการ
- chase (verb): to run or drive after somebody/something in order to catch them; (in sports) to be behind in the score and try to catch up - ไล่ตาม
- co-: done together with another -
- co-leader (noun): one of two or more leaders of a group - หนึ่งในแกนนำของกลุ่ม
- coffin: a box in which a dead body is buried or cremated - โลงศพ
- core: of members of a group who do the most important work, or who support it most strongly - แก่น แกนนำ
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- desire: a strong wish to have or do something - ความอยาก, ความประสงค์, ความต้องการ
- disappointed: unhappy because someone or something was not as good as you hoped or expected, or because something did not happen - ผิดหวัง
- division: a disagreement between people, especially between people who belong to the same group - การแตกร้าว, การแบ่งแยก
- divorce: to take legal action to end a marriage - หย่า
- escalator: a set of moving stairs that take people from one level to another in a large building - บันไดเลื่อน
- ex-: former - อดีต, ก่อนหน้า
- exchange blows: fight by hitting with fists, like boxing -
- explode (verb): blast, blow up, burst - ระเบิด
- fashionable: following a style that is popular - ทันสมัย, เป็นที่นิยม, นำสมัย
- flee: to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger - หนี อพยพ
- former: of or in an earlier time; before the present time or in the past - อดีต, แต่ก่อน
- harass: to keep attacking or annoying someone - รบกวน, ทำให้ลำบากใจ
- hatred (noun): a very strong feeling of dislike for somebody/something - ความเกลียดชัง
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- infringe: to break a law or rule; to limit somebody's legal rights - ฝ่าฝืน, ละเมิด
- legal: relating to the law - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- no longer: was true in the past, not true now -
- normal (adj.): typical, usual or ordinary; what you would expect - ปกติ, ภาวะปกติ
- online: controlled by or connected to a computer or to the Internet - ออนไลน์, การเชื่อมต่อผ่านระบบเครือข่ายทางคอมพิวเตอร์
- parking area: a place where motor vehicles, aircraft, etc. are parked - ลานจอด
- party: an organized group of people who have similar ideas about the way in which a country should be governed, and who work together to try to persuade people to vote for them in elections - พรรค การเมือง
- pathetic (adj.): useless and not effective in an annoying and bad way - น่าสมเพช
- PDRC (noun): People's Democratic Reform Committee, an anti-government protest group, headed by Suthep Thuagsuban - กปปส. คณะกรรมการประชาชนเพื่อการเปลี่ยนแปลงประเทศไทยให้เป็นประชาธิปไตยที่สมบูรณ์ อันมีพระมหากษัตริย์ทรงเป็นประมุข.
- pipe (noun): a long tube used for carrying water, oil, gas, etc. from one place to another place - ท่อ
- protect: to make sure that something is not harmed or damaged - ปกป้อง, ป้องกัน
- protest: to make a strong complaint or disagreement - ประท้วง
- protester: someone who shows that they disagree with something by standing somewhere, shouting, carrying signs, etc - ผู้ต่อต้าน, ผู้ประท้วง
- pursuit: the act of following or chasing somebody - การไล่ตาม
- rally: a large public gathering of people to support someone or to protest against something - การชุมนุม
- respect: to accept the importance of someone's rights or customs - เคารพ
- revealed: made known or showed somthing that was surprising or that was previously secret - เปิดเผย
- right: a moral or legal claim to have or get something or to behave in a particular way - สิทธิ
- rush: moving or doing something very quickly - การรีบเร่ง
- sanction: an official order, such as the stopping of trade or business dealings, which is taken against a country, group or person in order to make it obey international law - การคว่ำบาตร
- separate: to keep apart - แยก
- separation: a decision that a husband and wife make to live apart while they are still legally married - การแยกกันอยู่
- share: to have or use something at the same time as someone else - ใช้ร่วมกัน
- simple: easy to understand; not complicated - ง่าย,ไม่ยุ่งยาก, ไม่ซับซ้อน
- site: a place where something is located - สถานที่
- slammed: strongly criticised - วิพากษ์วิจารณ์อย่างรุนแรง
- social (adjective): related to society, to people and the way they are connected to each other and interact with each other - เกี่ยวกับสังคม
- society (noun): people in general, living together in communities - สังคม
- threat: saying that you might do something bad or harmful, especially in order to make someone do something - การขู่เข็ญ การคุกคาม ทำให้กลัว
- tragedy: a very sad event that causes people to suffer or die - โศกนาฏกรรม
- unacceptable: that you cannot accept, allow or approve of - ซึ่งไม่สามารถยอมรับได้
- violate: to do something that is against a law, rule or agreement - ฝ่าฝืน, ละเมิด
- violation: an action that is against a law, agreement, principle, etc. - การฝ่าฝืน
- violent: involving or caused by physical force that is intended to hurt or kill somebody - รุนแรง, ร้ายแรง, สาหัส
- whistle: a small metal or plastic tube that you blow to make a loud high sound, used to attract attention or as a signal - นกหวีด
- whistle (verb): to make a high sound; to move very quickly through the air - ทำให้เกิดเสียงหวีดหวิว
- whistleblower: a person who informs people in authority or the public that someone is doing something wrong or illegal -
- wonder: something that fills you with surprise and admiration - สิ่งน่าพิศวง
- wonder: to think about something because you want to know more facts or details about it - สงสัย