PM's lottery "magic" raises suspicions
published : 18 Mar 2014 at 10:18
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Anti-government protesters have a new complaint against the Yingluck administration, accusing government officials of fixing the lottery winning tickets to correspond with licence plate numbers of the vehicles the PM uses.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
On Sunday, you didn't need to check out the lottery results to find out the 3-digit and 2-digit winning numbers. Post Today photo.
Anti-government groups yesterday raised questions about Sunday's lottery draws that matched the last few digits of the licence plates of vehicles used by the caretaker prime minister.
They say it may have been fixed by the Government Lottery Office (GLO).
Nititorn Lumlua, an advisor with the Student and People's Network for the Reform of Thailand (NSPRT), said it was too much of a coincidence and raised questions about the transparency process of the GLO's draws.
The last three-digits of Sunday's first prize lottery number 531404, match the 5404 licence plate number of the Volkswagen mini-van Yingluck Shinawatra used in Chiang Mai last weekend.
And the winning two-digit number on Sunday was 79 which also matched the last two digits of her Toyota Alphard’s licence plate with the number 7879.
Both mini-vans were used by the prime minister during her trip to the North last weekend.
GLO director-general Attagrit Tharechat insisted everything was above board. No one had tampered with the equipment.
''The matching of the winning numbers with the premier’s licence plates was a coincidence,'' he said.
A video clip widely circulated on social media showed the prime minister slipping to the ground while she was stepping out of the Volkswagen mini-van in Chiang Mai on Saturday.
Pictures of the licence plates of the two mini-vans were also widely posted on social media urging people to buy both government and underground lottery tickets with those two numbers — 404 and 79.
In Thailand, lottery buyers can win with the last three and two digits of their tickets whether they buy government lottery tickets or place bets with underground bookkeepers.
Anti-government groups were suspicious of the lottery results, claiming the GLO might have fixed the draw to make it appear the prime minister was bringing good luck to low-income lottery buyers who often like to place bets on the three and two digit results.
Mr Nititorn said it was too much of a coincidence as winning numbers matching the plates on Ms Yingluck's vehicles had been drawn numerous times before Sunday's draw.
Learn from listening
- above board (idiom): completely honest and legal - ซื่อสัตย์และถูกต้องตามกฎหมาย
- advisor (noun): a person who gives advice, especially somebody who knows a lot about a particular subject - ที่ปรึกษา
- bet: to risk money on a race or an event by trying to predict the result - พนัน
- bookkeeper (noun): a person whose job is to keep an accurate record of the accounts of a business; (bookmaker; bookie) a person whose job is to take bets on the result of an event, etc. and pay out money to people who win - คนทำบัญชี, คนรับแทง (การพนัน)
- caretaker: in charge for a short time, until a new leader or government is chosen - รักษาการ
- circulate: to send to many different people - หมุนเวียน
- claim (noun): saying that something is true although it has not been proved and other people may not believe it - ข้ออ้าง ข้อกล่าวหา
- coincidence: a situation in which separate things happen by chance at the same time or in the same way - เหตุบังเอิญ
- digit: any one of the ten numbers 0 to 9 - ตัวเลข (0 ถึง 9)
- draw: a way of choosing something such as a name or number by chance - การจับฉลาก
- fix: to dishonestly arrange something so that it has the result you want - ใช้วิธีการอันมิชอบ, เล่ห์เหลี่ยมเข้าคุม
- insist: to keep saying very firmly that something is true - ยืนกราน ยืนยัน
- licence plate: a flat piece of metal or plastic on the front and back of a vehicle that shows its license number - แผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถยนต์
- match: to be the same as or very similar to something else - เท่าเทียมกันกับ, เท่ากันกับ
- network: a large system of connected parts, organisations, people, etc. - เครือข่าย
- numerous: many - มากมาย
- process: a series of actions that you take in order to achieve a result - แนวทางปฏิบัติ, กระบวน, วิธีการ
- raise: to bring up a subject for discussion - ยกขึ้นมาเป็นประเด็น
- reform: a change that is intended to correct a situation that is wrong or unfair - การแก้ไข การปฏิรูป
- slip: to slide a short distance by accident so that you fall or nearly fall; to slide out of position or out of your hand - ลื่นไถล
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- suspicious: a feeling that someone or something cannot be trusted — - มีความสงสัย, ด้วยความสงสัย, สงสัย, พิรุธ
- tamper with: to try to change something that should not be changed - โน้มน้่าว ให้สินบน
- transparency: an honest way of doing things that allows other people to know exactly what you are doing - ความโปร่งใส
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น