Sunken cruise ship arrives in Genoa
published : 28 Jul 2014 at 08:45
writer: Terry Fredrickson
The massive wreck of the capsized cruise liner Concordia, twice the size of the Titanic, has been refloated and towed 280 kilometres to Genoa, Italy for scrapping.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
The refloated wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship is seen being dragged to the harbour of Pra di Voltri near Genoa early on July 27, 2014. The doomed cruise ship Costa Concordia left its wreckage site on July 23, 2014 in one of the largest-ever maritime salvage operations, two and a half years after the disaster left 32 people dead. AFP PHOTO / MARCO BERTORELLO
Wrecked Costa Concordia enters Italian port to be scrapped
GENOA, Italy, July 27, 2014, AFP – Ship horns blared Sunday as the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner limped into the Italian port of Genoa to be scrapped two and a half years after it capsized in a tragedy that claimed 32 lives.
The hulking vessel about twice the size of the Titanic was towed into port after a four-day, 280 kilometre journey from the disaster site off the Tuscan island of Giglio.
Fears that the damaged hull would break up under the strain, spilling toxic waste into Europe's biggest marine sanctuary, proved unfounded, and dolphins joined the convoy of environmental experts in welcoming the ship into Genoa.
The once-luxury liner arrived overnight and weighed anchor around two nautical miles offshore, where engineers attached it to several tugboats that manoeuvred into Genoa's Voltri port at 1000 GMT.
Crowds of curious locals gathered to see the remains of the battered ship, which crashed into rocks off Giglio island in January 2012 with 4,229 people from 70 countries on board.
Members of the US salvage company Titan and Italian firm Micoperi work at the wreck of Italy's Costa Concordia cruise ship near the harbour of Giglio Porto on September 15, 2013. AFP PHOTO / ANDREAS SOLARO
Interior furnishings and fittings will be stripped out to make the vessel light enough to tow into the scrapping area, where it will be divided into three parts for dismantling.
Workers will start by removing what is left of beds, televisions, fridges and sofas in once-resplendent cabins and glitzy restaurants, bars and casinos.
For Genoa – former maritime power and home to explorer Christopher Columbus – the contract to dismantle the ship is a welcome boost in a period of economic crisis, creating hundreds of jobs in the city for a 22-month period.
The salvage operation to recover the Concordia was the biggest ever attempted and is expected to cost in the region of 1.5 billion euros ($2.0 billion).
The remains of the 114,500-tonne liner will not simply be thrown away: more than 80 percent of it is expected to be recycled or reused.
Between 40,000 and 50,000 tonnes of steel will be melted down and reused in the construction industry – or possibly for building a new ship – while undamaged copper wiring, plumbing, plastics, machinery and furniture will be sold on.
Personal belongings recovered on the lower decks will be returned to owners while items such as the ship's piano – which was being played as the liner hit the rocks – may end up in a museum.
This combination shows four photos of the Costa Concordia, after it ran aground on Jan. 14, 2012 (top left), beginning to emerge during the salvage operation on Sept. 16, 2013 (top right and bottom left) and after it was turned upright on Sept. 17 (bottom right).
Images of the vast vessel on its side off Giglio went viral around the world, and its captain Francesco Schettino was dubbed Italy's "most hated man" after he escaped in a lifeboat while terrified passengers threw themselves into the icy sea.
Schettino is currently on trial for manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, and abandoning the vessel before all passengers had evacuated.
Learn from listening
- abandon: to leave a person or group that you are with - ละทิ้ง
- battered: badly damaged - ที่ถูกทำลายยับเยิน
- belongings: the things you own - ข้าวของเครื่องใช้
- blare: to make a loud and unpleasant noise - ส่งเสียงดัง
- boost: something that helps or encourages somebody/something - สิ่งกระตุ้น
- cabin (noun): a small room on a ship in which you live or sleep - ห้องในเรือ
- capsize: (of a boat or other object) to turn over in the water - คว่ำ, พลิกคว่ำ
- claim lives (verb): to kill people - ทำให้ตาย
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- contract: an official written agreement - สัญญา
- convoy: a group of vehicles (or ships) travelling together - ขบวนรถ, ขบวนเรือ
- copper: a soft reddish-brown metal used for making electric wires, pipes and coins - ทองแดง
- crisis: a situation that has reached and extremely difficult or dangerous point - ช่วงวิกฤต
- cruise: a journey on a ship for pleasure, especially one that involves visiting a series of places - การเดินทางท่องเที่ยว
- curious (adj): having a strong desire to know about something - อยากรู้อยากเห็น
- deck (noun): the top outside floor of a ship, boat or building - ดาดฟ้าเรือ
- disaster: an unexpected event, such as a very bad accident, a flood or a fire, that kills a lot of people or causes a lot of damage - ภัยพิบัติ ความหายนะ
- dismantle: to take something apart - รื้อ
- dolphin: a large sea animal, similar to a fish, with a long nose - ปลาโลมา
- doomed: certain to fail, die or be destroyed - ซึ่งถูกกำหนดไว้ว่าจะเกิดเรื่องไม่ดี
- drag: to pull something or someone along with difficulty - ลาก
- dubbed: given a name - ตั้งฉายา, ตั้งชื่อเล่นให้
- emerge: to appear - ปรากฏออกมา
- evacuate: to leave a place because it is not safe - อพยพออกจากพื้นที่
- explorer: a person who travels to unknown places in order to find out more about them - ผู้สำรวจ,นักสำรวจ,ผู้สำรวจตรวจค้น
- firm: a business or company - บริษัท
- fittings (noun): small parts on a piece of equipment or furniture - อุปกรณ์เชื่อมต่อ
- furnishings: the furniture, carpets, curtains, etc. in a room or house - เครื่องเรือน,เครื่องตกแต่งบ้าน
- gather (verb): to come/bring together in a group - รวมกลุ่ม, รวมตัวกัน, จับกลุ่มกัน, ชุมนุม
- glitzy: appearing very attractive, exciting and impressive, in a way that is not always genuine; bright, exciting, and attractive but not always having real value - น่าดึงดูด, ฉูดฉาด, บาดตา
- harbour: an area of water near the land where it is safe for boats to stay - ท่าเรือ
- hulking (adj): very large or heavy, often in a way that causes you to feel nervous or afraid - อุ้ยอ้าย,ใหญ่และหนัก,งุ่มง่าม
- hull (noun): the main, bottom part of a ship, that goes in the water - ตัวเรือ, ลำเรือ
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- in the region of (idiom): approximately - โดยประมาณ, ราวๆ, ประมาณ
- interior: the inside of something - ภายใน
- lifeboat (noun): a small boat carried on a ship in order to save the people on board if the ship sinks - เรือชูชีพ
- limp: walking/moving with difficulty because of an injured leg or foot or serious damage of some type - การเคลื่อนไหวอย่างกระโผลกกระเผล
- liner (noun): a large ship that carries passengers - เรือที่เดินทางประจำเส้นทาง
- locals: people who live in a particular place - ชาวบ้าน
- luxury: the best and most expensive of something - ที่หรูหรา
- manoeuvre: to move or turn skilfully or carefully - ยักย้าย, หลบหลีก
- manslaughter: the crime of killing somebody illegally but not deliberately - การฆ่าคนโดยไม่ไตร่ตรองไว้ก่อน
- marine: relating to the sea and creatures that live in it - เกี่ยวกับทะเล
- maritime: involving ships or the business of moving people and goods in ships - ทางทะเล
- melt: to change from a solid form to liquid (e.g. ice to water) - ละลาย
- museum: a building where objects of historical, scientific or artistic interest are kept - พิพิธภัณฑ์
- nautical mile: a unit of distance used at sea which is equal to 1852 metres -
- offshore: happening or existing in the sea, not far from the land - ซึ่งอยู่ห่างจากฝั่ง, ที่อยู่นอกฝั่ง
- operation: an activity which is planned to achieve something - การดำเนินการ
- plumbing (noun): the system of pipes, etc. that supply water to a building, a ship, etc. - ท่อประปา
- port: an area of water where ships stop, including the buildings around it - ท่าเรือ
- recover (verb): to get something back (usually that has been lost or stolen) - ได้กลับคืนมา
- refloat (verb): to make a boat or ship float again, for example after it has become stuck on the bottom in shallow water - ทำให้ลอยได้อีก
- remains: the parts of something that are left after the other parts have been destroyed, used, eaten, removed, etc - ซาก
- resplendent (adj.): brightly coloured in an impressive way - สุกสว่าง, โชติช่วง, งามอร่าม
- salvage: to save something from being lost completely - กอบกู้
- sanctuary: a safe, protected place - สถานที่ด้รับการปกป้อง, สถานที่ปลอดภัย
- scrap (verb): to take apart things things that are not wanted or cannot be used for their original purpose, but which have some value for the material they are made of - ทำให้แตกแยกออก
- site: a place where something is located - สถานที่
- spill: (of a liquid) to come or fall out of a container - หกล้น
- strain (noun): the pressure that is put on something when a physical force stretches, pushes, or pulls it - การทำให้ตึง, ความตึงเครียด
- strip: to remove, pull or tear the covering or outer layer from something - กวาด, ลอก,ปอก
- terrified: very frightened - ตกใจ, ใจหาย, ขวัญหนี
- tow: to pull a vehicle or boat by fixing it to the back of a another vehicle or boat - ลากจูง
- toxic: poisonous and harmful to people, animals or the environment - เป็นพิษ
- tragedy: a very sad event that causes people to suffer or die - โศกนาฏกรรม
- trial: the process of examining a case in a court of law and deciding whether someone is guilty (having committed a crime) or innocent (not having committed a crime) - การไต่สวนคดี
- tugboat: a small powerful boat used for pulling larger boats, especially in ports - เรือโยง, เรือลาก
- unfounded: not supported with facts or evidence - ที่ไม่ได้ตั้งอยู่บนหลักเหตุผล
- upright (adj.): placed in a vertical position; - ที่ตั้งขึ้น, ที่ตั้งตรง
- vast: extremely large in area, size, amount, etc. - กว้างใหญ่, มหาศาล
- vessel: a boat or ship - เรือ
- viral: (of a video, photo, story, etc.) spread across the internet very quickly (like a virus spreading a disease) as people share it with their friends or the news media reports on it - แพร่กระจายผ่านทางอินเทอร์เน็ตอย่างรวดเร็ว
- weigh anchor (verb): to prepare a ship for travelling by pulling up a heavy attached object known as an anchor from the water -
- wreck (noun): the remaining parts of something that has been badly damaged - ซาก
- wreckage: the parts of a vehicle or building that remain after it has been severely damaged - ซากปรักหักพัง