Fakebooking: Dutch girl fakes trip to Thailand for school project (videos)
published : 12 Sep 2014 at 21:43
writer: Jon Fernquest
For 5 weeks, she created a dream vacation with Photoshop that made her Facebook friends green with envy. In reality, she never left her home in Amsterdam. Only her boyfriend knew the truth.
TRAVEL & FACEBOOK
Using her photoshop skills & her imagination, a graphic design student in the Netherlands, Zilla van den Born, faked a trip to Thailand and Southeast Asia, as part of a school project.
The class assignment that the teacher gave the students was to explore how simple it was to put up a facade and fake a persona on social media using fake photos and video.
Funny prank? Malicious bag of lies? Showcase for Photoshop and graphic design skills? Thought-provoking conceptual art piece?
Reactions to this Dutch student's so-called "fakebooking" range from anger to laughter to emulation and a desire to imitate it.
Have you ever been envious of the photos you see in Facebook?
Maybe your friend's girlfriend or boyfriend is just too good-looking?
Maybe you are home alone and your Facebook friends are out partying with all their high-so acquaintances, actresses and movie stars?
Maybe all your friends seem to be taking a vacation on some relaxing beach or remote scenic mountain top and you? You are stuck at your computer screen at work.
With Photoshop, envy-inducing photos are only keystrokes away.
For five weeks, the Dutch student Zilla created photoshop illusions and made her Facebook friends red with envy, dreaming up situations you'd expect as a tourist travelling around South East Asia. In reality, she had never left her home in Amsterdam. Only her boyfriend knew the truth.
Her statement to the media after she made her elaborate prank public revealed her statement of purpose: "I did this to show people that we filter and manipulate what we show on social media, and that we create an online world which reality can no longer meet. My goal was to prove how common and easy it is to distort reality. Everybody knows that pictures of models are manipulated. But we often overlook the fact that we manipulate reality also in our own lives."
She also highlighted her Photoshop skills.
After snorkelling in clear blue water in the swimming pool at her apartment, she added convincing tropical fish with photoshop.
She also photoshopped herself into a photo wading in the water on a Thai beach.
A more sophisticated photo has her taking a photo of her reflection in a Thai Tuk Tuk rear view mirror.
Other convincing photos didn't require her photoshop skills at all.
She ate exotic food in Asian restaurants but the restaurants were in Amsterdam where she is attending school.
She visited a monk at a Buddhist temple but the temple was also in Amsterdam.
In the end, her class assignment itself became an internet sensation and even though her trip was fake, the success of the whole project itself certainly is not fake and she's made many netizens green with envy with her successful foray into content creation.
Learn from listening
- acquaintances: people you know but who are not close friends - คนคุ้นเคย
- assignment: a task or piece of work that somebody is given to do, usually as part of their job or studies - งานที่ได้รับมอบหมาย
- attend: to go to an event, such as a meeting, a show, a sports competition, etc. - เข้าร่วม (ในการประชุม, งานต่าง)
- common: ordinary; not unusual or special - ที่เกิดขึ้นทุกวัน, ธรรมดา
- conceptual art: art that is based on or works with and develops ideas - ศิลปะเชิงแนวคิด, มโนทัศนศิลป์
- content: the subject, ideas, or story that a piece of writing or a radio or television programme deals with - เนื้อหา,สาระ
- conversation (noun): when two or more people are talking about something - การสนทนา, การพูดคุย
- convincing (adj): in a way in which someone is able to make you believe that something is true or right - อย่างโน้มน้าว, แน่ชัด,
- distort: to change something such as information so that it is not longer true or accurate - บิดเบือน
- elaborate: containing a lot of careful detail or many detailed parts - ที่ประณีต,อย่างรอบคอบ,ซับซ้อน,ละเอียด,ที่บรรจง
- emulation: liking something, so you try to do it yourself -
- envious (adj): having the feeling that you wish you had something that someone else has - อิจฉา, อยากได้ของของคนอื่น, อยากเป็นเหมือนคนอื่น
- envy: the feeling that you wish you had something that someone else has - ความอิจฉา
- explore: to examine something completely or carefully in order to find out more about it - สำรวจ,ตรวจ
- façade: a false appearance of way of behaving that hides what someone or something is really like - ลักษณะภายนอก
- fact: something that is true - ความเป็นจริง
- fake: made to look like something real in order to trick people - ที่ทำปลอม
- fake (verb): to make something false appear to be genuine, especially in order to cheat/treat somebody สร้างเรื่องขึ้น, แสร้งทำ, แกล้งทำ - สร้างเรื่องขึ้น, แสร้งทำ, แกล้งทำ
- filter (verb): to check and remove something that is not wanted; to use a special program to check the content of emails or websites before they are sent to your computer - กรองเอา (บางสิ่ง) ออกจาก
- foray (noun): an attempt to do something - ความพยายามเข้าไปเกี่ยวข้องกับงานหรืออาชีพที่แตกต่างออกไป
- funny: strange - แปลก
- goal: aim; purpose - เป้าหมาย จุดมุ่งหมาย
- graphic design (noun): the art of designing pictures and text for magazines, books, advertisements, etc; visual communication through skillful combination of text and pictures - การออกแบบเลขนศิลป์
- highlighted: stressed; made something more noticeable - ที่เน้นย้ำ
- illusions: the believe things that are not true; delusions, false impression - ความเข้าใจผิด, ความเชื่อผิดๆ, ความคิดผิดๆ
- imagination: the ability to form pictures in the mind - จินตนาการ
- imitate: to copy something - เลียนแบบ
- induce: to cause something, especially a mental or physical change - ทำให้เกิด
- keystroke: hitting the keyboard with your finger to enter a number or letter into a computer -
- laughter (noun): the act or sound of laughing - การหัวเราะ
- malicious: having or showing hatred and a desire to harm somebody or hurt their feelings - มุ่งร้าย, ปองร้าย, ประสงค์ร้าย
- manipulate (verb): to control or use something in a skilful way - จัดการ, ,ยักย้าย, เปลี่ยนแปลงให้เหมาะสม
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- mirror: a piece of glass that you can see yourself in - กระจก
- model (noun): a person who wears clothes to show them to customers - นางแบบ
- netizen: a person who uses the Internet a lot - พลเมืองเครือข่ายคอมพิวเตอร์
- online: controlled by or connected to a computer or to the Internet - ออนไลน์, การเชื่อมต่อผ่านระบบเครือข่ายทางคอมพิวเตอร์
- overlook (verb): to fail to notice or consider something - มองพลาด, มองไม่เห็น, เพิกเฉย
- persona (noun): the aspects of a person's character that they show to other people, especially when their real character is different - บารมี
- piece: one work of art or music that an artist or musical composer has made -
- prank: a trick that is played on somebody as a joke - การล้อเล่น, การเล่นตลก
- project: a planned piece of work that is designed to find information about something, to produce something new, or to improve something - โครงการ
- public: open to people in general; intended to be seen or heard by people in general - อย่างเปิดเผยให้รู้
- range: a number of different things that are of the same general type - ขอบข่าย, ประเภท
- reaction: the way something responds as a result of something that happens - ปฏิกิริยา การตอบสนอง, ปฏิกิริยาตอบโต้
- reality: what is actually happening - ความเป็นจริง
- rear: back - ด้านหลัง
- rear view mirror: the mirror on a car or other vehicle that shows the driver what is behind the car -
- reflection: an image in a mirror, on a shiny surface, on water, etc - ภาพสะท้อน
- relaxing: helping you to rest and become less anxious - ซึ่งช่วยให้ผ่อนคลาย
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- reveal: to show or let something become known - เปิดเผย
- scenic: providing beautiful views of nature - สวยงามอย่างธรรมชาติ
- screen (noun): a display on a phone, computer, etc. that shows information -
- sensation: something very exciting or interesting, or something which causes great excitement or interest - ความตื่นเต้น
- showcase (verb): to show the most important or best qualities or parts of something - แสดงจุดเด่นของสิ่งของหรือคน
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- skill: the ability to do something well, usually as a result of experience and training - ฝีมือ, ทักษะ
- so-called: used for saying that a particular word is usually used for referring to someone or something - ที่เป็นที่รู้กัน
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- sophisticated: complicated and advanced in design - ที่มีการออกแบบให้ซับซ้อน
- statement: something that you say or write that gives information or an opinion - แถลงการณ์, คำแถลง
- statement of purpose: when someone explains their goal or what they hope to achieve by doing something -
- stuck: unable to move, or fixed in a particular position or place - ติด
- swank: very fancy and luxurious -
- thought-provoking: something that makes you think hard about something -
- vacation: holiday; a period of time spent travelling or resting away from home - ลาพักผ่อน, ลาพักร้อน
- wade: to walk with an effort through something, especially water or mud - ลุย เดินท่องน้ำ หรือ โคลน