Death for train rapist
published : 30 Sep 2014 at 16:23
writer: Jon Fernquest
Wanchai, 22, railway sleeper car employee, found guilty of raping 13-year old asleep in train & throwing her out of window to her death, has been sentenced to death with appeal for mercy rejected.
Train rapist sentenced to death
PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN - The Hua Hin provincial court has sentenced a railway employee to death for murder and aggravated rape of a young girl in July on a train heading to Bangkok whose body was later found beside the railway track.
The court on Tuesday found Wanchai Sangkhao, the first defendant in the case, guilty of several counts.
He was sentenced to death for murder, nine years in jail for raping a girl under 15, five years in prison for stealing while on public transport vehicles at night, one year for hiding a body and six months for drug abuse.
The gravest penalty of death prevails.
The court rejected Wanchai's claim for mercy because he had confessed in an act of repentance. The court said Wanchai confessed because he had no choice as the evidence against him was so strong. There were no grounds for commutation of sentence.
Nattakorn Chamnarn, 19, the second defendant who was charged with helping another person rape a girl under 15, confessed during the investigation, but denied the charge in court.
Nattakorn was sentenced to six years in prison as an accessory. Since he confessed during the investigation stage, the penalty was commuted by a third to four years.
Wanchai, 22, a sleeper-car employee of the Railway of Thailand, confessed to raping on July 5 a 13-year-old girl, a Mathayom 2 student at Satrinonthaburi School, while she was asleep in a bunk bed of a carriage on the No.174 Nakhon Si Thammarat-Bangkok express train.
Wanchai subsequently threw her out the window, even though she was still breathing. She was killed by the fall. Searchers later found her body beside the rail track.
Panadda "Boom" Wongpudee (right), an actress and model, talks to the relatives of the victim at the Hua Hin court on Sept 30, 2014. Panadda has led the effort to push for the uncommuted death penalty for rapists after the train rape incident. (Photo by Chaiwat Satyaem)
Learn from listening
- accessory: a person who helps another person break the law and carry out a crime -
- actress (noun): a woman who performs on the stage, on television or in films/movies, especially as a profession - นักแสดงหญิง
- aggravated: of a crime that involves further unnecessary violence or unpleasant behaviour - การทำร้ายร่างกายจนได้รับอันตรายสาหัส
- beside (adverb): at the side of someone or something and close to them - อยู่ข้าง
- breathe: to bring air in and out of the lungs - หายใจ
- bunk bed (noun): one of two beds that are fixed together, one above the other -
- carriage: one of the vehicles that are joined together to make a train - ตู้โดยสาร
- case: a matter that is being officially investigated, especially by the police - คดี
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- claim: to demand or ask for something because you believe it is your legal right to own or to have it - อ้างสิทธิ, ยืนยัน
- commutation: changing a punishment or sentence to be less or less severe -
- commute (a punishment): to change a punishment to one that is less severe - ลดโทษ (รุนแรงให้น้อยลง)
- confess (verb): to admit that you have committed a crime - สารภาพผิด
- count: each crime someone is accused of - คดี
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- death penalty (noun): the punishment of putting someone to death for a crime; capital punishment - โทษประหารชีวิต
- defendant: someone who has been accused of a crime and is on trial - จำเลย
- deny: to say that something is not true or does not exist - ปฏิเสธ
- drug abuse: using drugs in a bad way; not to cure the disease the drugs were made to cure - การใช้ยาในทางที่ผิด
- effort: an attempt to do something - ความพยายาม
- employee: someone who is paid regularly to work for a person or an organisation - ลูกจ้าง
- evidence: facts statements or objects that help to prove whether or not someone has committed a crime - หลักฐาน
- grave: very serious; very dangerous - วิกฤติ, ร้ายแรง
- grounds: reasons for saying or doing something - เหตุผล
- guilty: having done something wrong, having the feeling that you have done something wrong - มีความผิด
- had no choice: must do something; forced to do something -
- head to (verb): to go in a particular direction - มุ่งหน้าไปทาง
- heading to: going in a particular direction - มุ่งหน้าไปทาง
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- investigation: the process of trying to find out all the details or facts about something in order to discover who or what caused it or how it happened - การสอบสวน, การตรวจสอบหาข้อเท็จจริง
- mercy: a kind or forgiving attitude towards somebody that you have the power to harm or right to punish - ความเมตตา, ความกรุณา
- model (noun): a person who wears clothes to show them to customers - นางแบบ
- murder (noun): the crime of intentionally killing a person - ฆาตกรรม
- penalty: a punishment, or the usual punishment, for doing something wrong - โทษ
- prevail: to be the strongest influence or element in a situation - เป็นจริง, มีอำนาจเหนือกว่า
- prison: a place where criminals are put to stay for a period of time as punishment for a crime - คุก, ,เรือนจำ
- provincial (adj): related to "provinces" , the different parts of a country - ประจำจังหวัด, ส่วนท้องถิ่น
- public transport: the system of buses, trains, etc. provided by the government or by companies, which people use to travel from one place to another - ขนส่งมวลชน
- railway: the whole transportation system of trains connecting stations along rail tracks - รางรถไฟ, ระบบทางรถไฟ
- rape: the crime of forcefully having sex with someone against their wish - การข่มขืน
- reject: to not accept something - ปฏิเสธ ไม่ยอมรับ
- relative: a member of your family - ญาติพี่น้อง
- repentance: feeling or showing that you are sorry for something wrong that you have done - สำนึกผิด,เสียใจในความผิดที่กระทำไป
- sentence: (of a court of law) to officially state what someone's punishment will be - พิพากษา, ตัดสินลงโทษ
- sentence : a punishment given by a court of law - การตัดสินลงโทษ
- stage: a part of an activity or process or a period of development - ช่วง, ระยะ, ตอน
- steal: to take something from a person, shop/store, etc. without permission and without intending to return it or pay for it - ขโมย
- subsequently: happening or coming after something else - ซึ่งตามมา
- tracks (noun): the two long metal strips that a train travels along - รางรถไฟ
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ