Beach party ban
published : 27 Oct 2014 at 09:26
writer: Terry Fredrickson
The popular Full Moon party stays, but other parties on Surat Thani's islands have been cancelled indefinitely "for security reasons".
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
The Full Moon party on Koh Tao is too big to cancel, but smaller events on Surat Thani's islands like the Black Moon, Jungle Moon, and Experience Moon parties have been axed. EPA file photo.
Surat Thani orders beach parties ban
Partygoers on Surat Thani's islands will now have fewer choices. SUPAPONG CHAOLAN.
Surat Thani's governor has imposed a ban on beach parties in the province for security reasons, five weeks after the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao.
However, the famous Full Moon Party held on Rin beach of Koh Phangan each month will stay in place.
Governor Chatpong Chatphuti wrote to Thaweesak Inthaphrom, chief of the Koh Phangan district office, ordering him to prohibit any beach parties on islands throughout the province.
Koh Phangan's Full Moon Party is the only exception to the rule due to its enduring popularity among tourists, many of whom visit the country specifically to visit the event.
The ban is part of efforts to put a stop to vice and illegal activities which have been putting the country's good reputation at risk, Mr Chatpong said.
Other beach events, such as the Black Moon and Half Moon parties, were partly responsible for problems affecting the province's tourism.
Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha last week said it was time to restore order on the province's islands.
The parties are often held in private spaces in secluded areas, so there is little protection police can offer party-goers.
Koh Phangan district office has relayed the order banning beach parties to various agencies, while police have removed posters put up around island districts informing tourists of upcoming events, including the Black Moon, Jungle Moon, and Experience Moon parties.
Meanwhile, Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman of the National Police Office, said police chief Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang had instructed officers nationwide to step up measures ensuring safety for tourists as the country enters its high season.
Learn from listening
- agency (noun): a government department that provides a particular service - หน่วยงานราชการ
- at risk: in danger - ตกอยู่ในความเสี่ยง
- axe (verb): to stop something or get rid of something or someone - ยกเลิก
- ban: officially not allowed to do something - การห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- enduring: lasting for a long time - ที่เป็นเวลานาน
- ensure: to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- exception (noun): something that is different in some way from other things and so cannot be included in a general statement ("without exception", means complete agreement with no one disagreeing) - ข้อยกเว้น
- illegal: against the law - อย่างผิดกฎหมาย
- impose: to introduce something and force people to accept it - กำหนด,บังคับใช้
- instruct (verb): to tell somebody to do something, especially in a formal or official way - สั่ง
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- measure: a firm action taken to solve a problem or stop a dangerous unpleasant situation - มาตราการ
- murder (noun): the crime of intentionally killing a person - ฆาตกรรม, การฆาตกรรม
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- order: a situation in which everything is well organized or arranged - ความเป็นระเบียบเรียบร้อย
- popularity: a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - ความเป็นที่นิยม, ความเป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- private: involving groups, businesses or industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - เอกชน
- prohibit: to not allow; to ban - ห้าม
- relay: to pass something on (information, money, etc.) from one person to another - ส่งผ่าน
- remove (verb): to take something away - เอาออกจาก
- reputation: the opinion people have about how good or bad someone or something is - ชื่อเสียง
- responsible for: to cause something to happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- restore: to bring somebody/something back to a former condition, place or position - กลับคืน, กลับมารับตำแหน่ง
- secluded (adjective): without contact with the outside world, private, hidden, withdrawn, isolated - ไม่ติดต่อโลกภายนอก, สันโดษ, อยู่ลำพังคนเดียวหรือห่างไกลจากชุมนุมชน
- security: protection; systems providing for safety from attack, harm, or damage - ระบบรักษาความปลอดภัย
- specifically (adv.): in a detailed and exact way; especially for one purpose - เฉพาะ, เฉพาะเจาะจง
- step up: to increase - เพิ่ม
- vice: criminal activities that involve sex or drugs - ความชั่วร้าย, เรื่องชั่วทางเพศ