Loy Krathong lanterns chase away flights (Updated)
published : 30 Oct 2014 at 08:23
writer: Terry Fredrickson
More than 100 flights at the Chiang Mai International Airport have been cancelled and 50 flights have been rescheduled during next week's Loy Krathong festival. Khon Kaen, however, wants flights to continue.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
People in Chiang Mai's San Sai district release over 300 floating lanterns or 'Yee Peng' to celebrate the annual Loy Krathong festival in Lanna (northern Thailand traditional) style. FILE PHOTO/CHANAT KATANYU
NE airport wants lanterns grounded
The Khon Kaen airport is asking local bodies not to release talai or burning pinwheels and balloon-like lantern from 6pm to 10 pm during the Loy Krathong festival on Nov 5-7.
Khon Kaen airport chief Atthaya Larpmark said Thursday he has sought cooperation from local bodies surrounding the airport to not hold activities to launch lanterns and burning pinwheels from 6-10 pm Nov 5-7.
Four airlines — Thai Smile, Thai Airways International, Nok Air and Thai AirAsia — operate domestic flights during that time. The flights normally carry at least 1,500 passengers total, said Sub Lt Atthaya.
So far, no airlines have cancelled their flights during the period, said the airport chief.
Lanterns cause flight havoc
Revellers release Yipeng lanterns by the Ping River in Chiang Mai to mark the Loy Krathong festival. FILE PHOTO/ SUBIN KHUENKAEW
More than 100 flights at the Chiang Mai International Airport have been cancelled and 50 flights have been rescheduled during next week's Loy Krathong festival.
The move was taken as a safety measure to ensure planes avoid the lanterns released to celebrate the event, according to the airport.
Almost 20,000 passengers are affected by the flight cancellations and the airport will lose about 2 million baht in revenue, said airport director Group Captain Wisuth Chantana
Gp Capt Wisuth said a total of 112 flights — 96 domestic and 16 international flights — in and out of Chiang Mai airport have been cancelled from Nov 5-7.
Also, 30 domestic and 20 international flights have changed their departure and arrival times to after sunset during the three-day period to avoid the lanterns, which pose a risk to flights.
The airlines facing disruption include Thai Airways which has cancelled 12 flights and delayed three, AirAsia which has cancelled 42 flights, and Bangkok Air with 12 cancelled and nine delayed flights, among other airlines.
Gp Capt Wisuth said the airport has informed the airlines about the release of the lanterns and the dangers they pose to aircraft and asked them to change their flight timetables accordingly.
The airport director said he had asked communities close to the airport to inform the authorities when they plan to release their lanterns.
The information will then be passed to the airlines.
He said the airport will also step up its clean-up operation to remove the lanterns which fall from the sky as quickly as possible.
Clean-ups will be conducted 10 times a day during the festival.
During the festival last year, a total of 1,419 lanterns fell into the Chiang Mai International Airport area, according to Gp Capt Wisuth.
The lantern issue was also discussed at the cabinet meeting on Tuesday.
Deputy government spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the cabinet agreed to the safety measures which stipulate that lanterns can only be released after 9pm between Nov 5-7.
Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has banned people from releasing lanterns on Nov 6, Loy Krathong day, over key historical areas as well as government offices, airports, tall buildings and residential areas of the city.
Chief adviser to the Bangkok governor Wanlop Suwandee issued details of the ban yesterday following a meeting with city officials.
Learn from listening
- accordingly (adv): for that reason - ตามนั้น, ดังนั้น, เช่นนั้น
- administrative (adj): involving the planning, organising and running of a business, an institution, etc - เกี่ยวกับการบริหาร
- adviser (noun): a person who gives advice, especially somebody who knows a lot about a particular subject - ที่ปรึกษา
- annual: happening once a year - ประจำปี
- approach: a way of doing or dealing with something; a particular way of doing something or thinking about something - การจัดการกับปัญหา วิธีการทำให้ถึงจุดหมาย
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- aviation: the flying of aircraft - การบิน
- avoid: to stay away from a place; to try to prevent something from happening - หลีกเลี่ยง
- ban: an official statement ordering people not to do, sell or use something - การห้าม
- ban: to officially say that someone is not allowed to do something - ห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA): the local government of Bangkok - กรุงเทพมหานคร
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- cancel (verb): to decide to stop something that has been arranged from taking place - ยกเลิก
- cancellation: a decision to stop something that has been arranged from taking place - การยกเลิก
- chief: main; most important - หลัก,สำคัญ
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- cooperation: a situation in which people or organisations work together to achieve a result that will benefit all of them - การร่วมมือกัน
- delay (verb): to do something later than is planned or expected; to cause something to happen at a later time - เลื่อน, เลื่อนเวลา
- departure: leaving - การออกจาก
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- detail (noun): the small facts or features of something - รายละเอียด, ส่วนเล็กๆ น้อยๆ, ส่วนย่อย
- disruption: a situation in which something cannot continue because of a problem - การขัดขวาง, การหยุดชะงัก
- domestic: inside the country being talked about - ภายในประเทศ
- ensure: to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- float: to cause to move slowly in the air or on water - ลอย
- havoc: a situation in which there is a lot of damage or destruction, or in which something cannot continue in its normal way because of problems - ความเสียหายอย่างรุนแรง, ความหายนะ
- historical: about history; about events that really happened in the past - เกี่ยวข้องกับการศึกษาประวัติศาสตร์
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- issue: to officially announce or give out - ออก, ออกประกาศ, ออกคำสั่ง
- key: very important - ที่สำคัญ
- launch (verb): to start something - เริ่มต้น, เปิดโครงการ, เริ่มทำ
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- measure: an action taken to solve a particular problem - มาตรการ
- moratorium (noun): a temporary stopping of an activity, especially by official agreement - ช่วงหยุดการกระทำไว้ชั่วคราว
- operation: an activity which is planned to achieve something - การดำเนินการ
- pinwheel (noun): a toy with curved plastic parts that form the shape of a flower which turns round on the end of a stick when you blow on it; a spinning airborne firework - ประทัดชนิดหนึ่ง
- pose a risk: to be a possible danger - กระทำการซึ่งอาจก่อให้เกิดอันตรายต่อ
- release (verb): to let something move freely; to allow a substance to flow out from somewhere - ปล่อย
- remove (verb): to take something away - เอาออก
- reschedule: to change the time at which something has been arranged to happen, especially so that it takes place later - จัดตารางเวลาใหม่, เปลี่ยนตารางใหม่
- residential area: a place where people live - เขตที่อยู่อาศัย
- reveller: someone who enjoys themselves at a party or celebration - คนที่ชอบงานฉลอง ความสนุกสนานและงานรื่นเริง
- revenue: income from taxes or business activities - รายได้
- step up: to increase; to cause to happen at a faster rate - เร่ง
- stipulate: to state exactly how something must be or must be done - ระบุ, ระบุเงื่อนไข
- sunset: the time of the evening when the sun is no longer seen - พระอาทิตย์ตกดิน
- surrounding: all around a place - บริเวณรอบๆ
- timetable: a plan of when you expect or hope particular events to happen - ตารางเวลา
- traditional (adj): of a custom, a way of life or a way of doing things that has not changed for a long time - เป็นประเพณี, ตามธรรมเนียม, ตามที่ปฏิบัติกันมา
- upcoming: happening soon; available soon - ซึ่งกำลังจะเกิดขึ้น, ซึ่งกำลังจะมา