Google Glass sales end Monday
published : 16 Jan 2015 at 11:56
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Google has announced that will stop selling its mobile internet device known as Google Glass next Monday, a move many analysts believe is the end of the experiment, a contention strongly denied by the company.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Would you dare wear one of these on the BTS or in a crowded shopping mall? Apparently not enough people have the courage or interest to spend their money to buy Google Glass in its present form. Sales end Monday. AFP PHOTO / ERIC PIERMONT
Google Glass sales end Monday
Google Glass appears to be dead, at least in its present form. The company is not saying that, but a lot of analysts are.
At the beginning, the idea of having a small computer screen in front of your eye anywhere you went,sounded like an exciting idea. You could not only to stay connected to the internet, but you could photograph and video what you saw and send the result instantly around the world.
It turned out, a lot of people quickly became suspicious of any one seen using a the device. They didn't like the idea that they might be secretly photographed and soon restaurants and bars started banning the devices.
The first users, who paid $1500 to try the devices, found out that they were not only nerdy-looking, they weren't as great as they thought they would be. The result, Google is going to stop selling the device even before it before it became a commercial product.
Here is the story from AFP with a verb different explanation from Google.
Google Glass sales stopping – for now
San Francisco, Jan 15, 2015, AFP – Google said on Thursday it is halting sales of its Internet-linked eyewear Glass but insisted the technology would live on in a future consumer product.
The technology titan is putting brakes on an "explorer" program that let people interested in dabbling with Glass buy eyewear for $1,500 apiece.
"Glass was in its infancy, and you took those very first steps and taught us how to walk," the team said of its "explorer" clients in a post on the Google+ social network.
"This organizational move will help to clarify the go-to-market strategy for both consumer and for enterprise customers."
The last day to buy Glass as part of the Explorer program will be Monday and Google did not indicate when a general consumer version of the eyewear might debut.
Glass – hotly anticipated by some, mocked by others -- became available in the United States in early last year to anyone with $1,500 to spare and a desire to become an "explorer."
The Glass test, or beta, program was later expanded to Britain.
Learn from listening
- analyst: a person whose job involves examining facts or materials in order to give an opinion on them - นักวิเคราะห์
- anticipated: creating a feeling of excitement about something enjoyable that is going to happen soon - รอคอยอย่างคาดหวัง
- apparently: based only on what you have heard or think, not on what you are certain is true; seemingly - ตามที่ได้รู้มา
- available: that you can get, use, find or buy - มีอยู่, หาได้
- ban: to officially say that someone is not allowed to do something - ห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- beta (noun): beta test; a test on a new product, done by somebody who does not work for the company that is developing the product - การทดสอบก่อนที่จะนำออกขายในตลาด
- clarify: to explain something more clearly so that it is easier to understand - แจกแจง ชี้แจง
- client: a customer or someone who receives services - ลูกค้า
- commercial: for business purposes - เกี่ยวกับการค้า
- consumer: someone who buys and uses goods and services - ผู้บริโภค
- courage (noun): the ability to do something that you know is right or good, even though it is dangerous, frightening, or very difficult - ความกล้าหาญ
- crowded: packed; full of people or things - แน่น
- dabble (verb): to use or try something or to take part in a sport, an activity, etc. but usually not very seriously - ทำเล่นๆ ไม่จริงจัง
- dare: to be brave enough to do something - กล้า
- debut: to introduce a product or service to the public for the first time - วางตลาดหรือเปิดตัวสินค้า
- desire: a strong wish to have or do something - ความอยาก, ความประสงค์, ความต้องการ
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- enterprise: an organisation, especially a business - กิจการ, บริษัท,อุตสาหกิจ,วิสาหกิจ
- expand: to make or become larger - ขยาย
- eyewear (noun): things worn on the eyes such as glasses or contact lenses -
- form: the particular way something is, seems, looks or is presented; a type or variety of something - รูปแบบ, รูปทรง
- halt: to stop - หยุด
- indicate: to express or explain something - ชี้ชัด, ระบุชัด, ชี้บอก
- infancy (noun): the early development of something; the time when a child is a baby or very young - วัยทารก,ระยะแรก ๆ
- insist: to keep saying very firmly that something is true, even when other people will not believe you - ยืนกราน
- instantly: immediately - ทันที
- linked: connected - เชื่อมต่อ เชื่อมโยง
- mock (verb): to you laugh at someone or something in an unkind way - หัวเราะเยาะ, เย้ยหยัน
- nerdy (adj): someone who is very interested in technical or scientific subjects, especially computers. This word usually shows that you think people like this are boring; someone who is boring, not physically attractive, and does not have much social ability - ที่ฉลาดแต่เรื่องเรียนหรือทางวิชาการ แต่มักไม่ค่อยเก่งในการเข้าสังค, ทึ่ม
- present (adjective): this time, happening now, happening currently - ปัจจุบันนี้
- strategy: a plan or method for achieving something, especially over a long period of time - ยุทธวิธี, แผนการ
- suspicious: a feeling that someone or something cannot be trusted — - มีความสงสัย, ด้วยความสงสัย, สงสัย, พิรุธ
- titan (noun): a person or organisation that is very important or successful - คนที่มีพลังมหาศาล
- to spare: to have more than enough of something - มีมากเกินพอ
- turn out: to be discovered to be; to prove to be - กลับกลายเป็น
- version: a particular form of something which varies slightly from other forms of the same thing - ชุด, เวอร์ชั่น