Polar bear sighted in London
published : 30 Jan 2015 at 11:50
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Londoners were taken by surprise Tuesday when a polar bear was sighted walking calmly through several parts of the city.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Londoners were taken by surprise Tuesday when a polar bear was sighted walking calmly in several parts of the city.
Why was it there? Was it dangerous? Was anyone hurt? Watch the video and find out for yourself.
Sofie Grabol: The fact that there are more polar bears than people in Fortitude makes them a factor that you have to deal with.
Mark Jones: To make a bear like this it takes a minimum of four weeks. Then, there's like four senior fabricators, you know, there's the moulding department, the sculpting department; there's so many people involved, we can build the most realistic and believable creatures or animals and it's up to the puppeteers or performers to actually put the life into it.
Tom Wilton: First of all we took the time to watch a lot of polar bear footage. That was the first thing, understanding it's characteristics, it's behaviours, footfall, gait, all that kind of stuff, but it's beautifully made and it makes our life a lot easier to puppeteer it as well.
Sofie Grabol: The stunt with the polar bear. I can't wait to see the reaction. I think it's brilliant.
Passersby 1: It looks very realistic to me. I have to say I feel a little bit nervous standing there with my back to it.
Passersby 2: When I first came out there was no-one around it, so I actually did think it was real.
Passersby 3: And I still can't figure out how it looks so real. Is it real?
Richard Dormer: Yeah, if I saw a polar bear walking down the street, I would start to run.
- ambitious: difficult and needing a lot of effort to succeed - ความทะเยอทยาน
- behaviour: the way that someone acts or behaves - พฤติกรรม, การกระทำตัว
- brilliant: very skilful, impressive, or successful - ยอดเยี่ยม
- calmly: in a relaxed way without anxiety - อย่างใจเย็น, อย่างไม่ตื่นเต้น, อย่างสงบ
- characteristic: a feature or quality that something/somebody has - ลักษณะเฉพาะ
- creature: anything that lives except plants - สิ่งมีชีวิต (คน, สัตว์)
- deal with: to take appropriate action in a particular situation or according to who you are talking to, managing, etc. - รับมือ
- drama (noun): an event or situation, especially an unexpected one, in which there is worry or excitement and usually a lot of action; a play in a theatre or on television or radio or a movie, or plays and acting generally - บทละคร, เรื่องเร้าใจ
- fabricator (noun): a person who fabricates, who to makes or produces goods, equipment, etc. from various different materials - ผู้สร้างหรือผลิตจากวัสดุหลายชนิดรวมกัน
- factor: a fact or situation which influences the result of something - ปัจจัย
- figure out: to be able to understand something or to solve a problem - คิดออก
- footage: film of a particular subject or event - ฟิลม์หรือคลิปภาพยนตร์
- footfall (noun): the sound of the steps made by somebody walking - การก้าวเท้า
- gait (verb): a way of walking - ท่าเดิน
- involved (verb): taking part or having a role in something - เกี่ยวข้อง, มีบทบาท
- launch: an event held to announce or start selling a new product or service to the public - การเริ่มปฏิบัติการ, การออกตัวของสินค้า, การเริ่มวางขาย
- minimum: the lowest possible; the lowest allowed - ต่ำที่สุด, น้อยที่สุด
- mould: to give something a particular shape or form - ปั้น
- nervous: anxious about something or afraid of something - กระวนกระวาย
- performer: a person who performs for an audience in a show, concert, etc - นักแสดง, ผู้แสดง
- puppeteer (noun): a person who performs with puppets, an actor who works inside a puppet or object and makes it seem real. - คนเชิดหุ่นกระบอก
- reaction: the way something responds as a result of something that happens - ปฏิกิริยา การตอบสนอง, ปฏิกิริยาตอบโต้
- realistic (adj): representing things as they are in real life; looking/acting real - เหมือนจริง
- realistic: based on facts and situations as they really are - ซึ่งปฏิบัติได้จริง, เป็นจริง, เป็นไปได้
- sculpt: to make figures or objects by carving or shaping wood, stone, clay, metal, etc - แกะสลัก
- senior: with a high rank or position - อาวุโส
- stunt: something silly or unusual to which is done to get public attention -
- unleash: to release suddenly a strong, uncontrollable and usually destructive force - ปล่อย, ก่อให้เกิดผลรุนแรง