Begging paid school bills for her 4 children
published : 30 Jan 2015 at 16:36
writer: Jon Fernquest
After business failure, debt & disabled arm drove her into begging, for 10 years their children back home in Surin never knew mom & dad supported them by begging.
Begging funded school for her 4 children
Begging on the streets put four children of a Surin couple through school and none of the kids ever knew their parents were panhandlers.
That was one of the many stories revealed by a nationwide crackdown on beggars from Jan 26-30.
The unnamed couple was among five vagabonds rounded up from the centre of Buri Ram province on Wednesday. They had their profiles recorded and were warned not to beg again.
The wife has an impaired arm, but said had borrowed to start her food shop, but it lost money. She quit, leaving her some 50,000 baht in debt.
Later she decided to make use of her disability by becoming a beggar. She travelled with her husband on trains to beg in congested areas nationwide for a decade and her destinations included the Khlong Thom market in Bangkok.
The unidentified woman who is a native of Surin province said that, thanks to begging, she and her husband raised four children and sent them to school. Two of their children graduated and have their own families while the other two are studying. She said they did not know they had begged to make a living.
Learn from listening
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- beg: to get money by asking people for money , on the side of the street, for example - ขอทาน
- beggar: a person who lives by asking people for money or food - คนขอทาน
- begging (noun): getting money by asking people for money , on the side of the street, for example - การขอทาน
- borrow: to take money from a bank, financial organisation, person, etc. and pay it back over a period of time - ยืม
- career: a job or series of related jobs that you do, especially a profession that you spend a lot of your working life in - อาชีพ
- congested: too blocked or crowded and causing difficulties - แน่นขนัด
- couple: two people who are married or are involved in a romantic relationship - คู่แต่งงานกัน, คุ่รัก
- crackdown: strong action that someone in authority takes to stop a particular activity - การใช้กำลังเข้าปราบปรามของเจ้าหน้าที่
- debt (noun): an amount of money that you owe - หนี้, นี้สิน
- decade: a period of ten years - ทศวรรษ, ระยะเวลา 10 ปี
- decent: of a good enough standard or quality - เหมาะสม
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- disability: an illness, injury or condition that makes it difficult for someone to do the things that other people do - ความพิการ
- fund: to provide money for something - ให้เงินทุน
- graduate: to get a degree from a university or college; to complete a course in education, especially at high school - ได้รับปริญญา,สำเร็จการศึกษา
- impaired: not fully able to do something - ซึ่งไมสมบูรณ์
- kid (noun): a child - เด็ก
- living: money to buy the things that you need in life - การทำมาหากิน
- make a living: to earn the money needed to pay for food, a place to live, clothing, etc - ดำรงชีวิต, ครองชีพ
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- native: someone who was born in a particular place - ชาวพื้นเมือง
- panhandler: beggar; a person who lives by asking people for money or food - คนขอทาน
- poverty: the condition of being extremely poor - ความจน
- profile: a description of somebody/something that gives useful information - ประวัติโดยย่อ
- province: one of many divisions of the government of a country into smaller parts - จังหวัด
- quit (verb): to stop doing something - หยุด, เลิก
- record: a written account of something that is kept so that it can be looked at and used in the future - บันทึก, รายงาน
- reveal: to show or let something become known - เปิดเผย
- round up: to find and bring together a group of people or animals ; sweep up - ไล่จับ (ฆาตรกร, อาชญากร)
- secure (verb): to get or achieve something - ได้มา
- thanks to: because of - ด้วยเหตุ, เพราะ
- unidentified: not known (who someone is) - ซึ่งไม่สามารถระบุชื่อได้
- vagabond: someone with no job or home who travels from place to place -
- warn: to make someone aware of a possible problem or danger - เตือน