Pongpat, Kowit get 6 years in first scandal ruling
published : 31 Jan 2015 at 09:34
writer: Terry Fredrickson
The cases involved in the biggest police scandal in many years have reached the Criminal Court and we are finally finding out exactly what they involve. The first verdict was handed down yesterday.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Ex-Central Investigation Bureau chief Pongpat Chayapan is escorted to the Criminal Court where he received a 12-year sentence for lese majeste and involvement in casino operations. The jail term was reduced by half due to his confession. Photos by Apichart Jinakul.
The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced former Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) chief Pongpat Chayapan and his ex-deputy to six years in prison.
The jail terms were handed down a day after prosecutors filed with the court a lese majeste charge and charges related to gambling activities against them.
Charges related to two other cases were also filed with the court on Thursday.
Pol Lt Gen Pongpat and Pol Maj Gen Kowit Wongrungroj were taken to the court yesterday for a plea hearing. Both pleaded guilty to the charges.
They were indicted for their involvement in gambling businesses, abuse of authority and lese majeste.
According to the indictment, Pol Lt Gen Pongpat, 58, and Pol Maj Gen Kowit, 59, helped organise and stage gambling activities at an illegal casino in Bangkok's Wang Thong Lang district between Jan 11 and July 30, 2011.
During this time, both men wore a Royal Crest pin and a badge with a picture of HRH Prince Dhipankara Rasmijoti on their police uniforms with the intention of misleading people that they were trusted by His Majesty the King and that the casino had links to the palace.
The Criminal Court originally sentenced them to 12 years in prison, but reduced the jail term by half due to their confessions.
The casino case was one of three cases prosecutors filed with the Criminal Court on Thursday.
The two other cases involve demanding and accepting bribes from oil smugglers totalling 147 million baht and soliciting bribes from police officers in exchange for promotions and transfers.
Four other policemen were also indicted in these cases.
Learn from listening
- abuse of authority: the use of power in a bad, dishonest or unlawful way - การใช้อำนาจในทางที่ผิด
- badge (noun): a small piece of metal or plastic or a symbol, with a design or words on it, that a person wears to show that they belong to an organisation, support something, have achieved something, have a particular rank, etc - ครื่องหมาย, เข็ม
- bribe: money or a present given to someone so that they will help you doing something dishonest or illegal - สินบน
- case: a matter that is being officially investigated or heard by a court - คดี
- Central Investigation Bureau: a national police agency coordinating and assisting the work of provincial and city police components. - กองบัญชาการตำรวจสอบสวนกลาง
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- confession: admitting that you have done something wrong or illegal - การสารภาพผิด
- crest (noun): a design used as the symbol of a particular family, organization, etc., especially one that has a long history - ตราประจำตระกูล
- Criminal Court: a court which hears criminal cases, i.e., cases where people are accused of breaking a law and where punishment involves going to jail. - ศาลอาญา
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- escort: to go with someone - คุ้ม
- file charges: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา, ฟ้อง
- gambling: the activity of betting money, for example in a game or on a horse race - การพนัน
- guilty: having done something wrong, having the feeling that you have done something wrong - มีความผิด
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- in exchange for: giving something to someone and receiving something else from them of a similar type or value - แลกเปลี่ยน
- indicted (verb): officially accused someone of a serious crime - ถูกฟ้องร้อง
- intention: a plan in your mind to do something - ความตั้งใจ เจตนา แผนการ
- involvement: the act or process of taking part in something - การเกี่ยวข้อง
- jail term: the length of time a person is required to spend in jail -
- lese majeste: the crime of offending, threatening or showing disrespect for a member of the royal family - หมิ่นพระบรมเดชานุภาพ
- links: connections - ความเชื่อมโยงกัน
- mislead: to make someone believe something that is incorrect or not true - ชักนำไปในทางที่ผิด
- operation: a business activity - การดำเนินการทางธุรกิจ
- originally: the situation that existed at the beginning of a particular period or activity, especially before something was changed - อย่างเป็นอันแรก, โดยแรกเริ่ม
- plea: a statement made by somebody or for somebody who is accused of a crime - คำให้การแก้ฟ้อง
- plead guilty: to formally tell a court of law that you did commit the crime you are accused of - รับสารภาพ ให้การว่าได้กระทำผิดตามที่ถูกกล่าวหา
- promotion (noun): moving to a higher level; moving to a job at a higher level - การเลื่อนตำแหน่ง
- prosecutor: a lawyer whose job is to prove in court that someone accused of a crime is guilty - อัยการ
- reduce: to make something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - ลดลง
- sentence: (of a court of law) to officially state what someone's punishment will be - พิพากษา, ตัดสินลงโทษ
- sentence : a punishment given by a court of law - การตัดสินลงโทษ
- smuggler: a person who takes things or people to or from a place secretly and often illegally - ผู้ลักลอบขนสินค้าหรือคนหรือสัตว์เข้าและออกจากประเทศอย่างผิด
- solicit: to ask someone for something like money, information or help - เรียกร้อง
- stage: to organise an event or activity - จัด
- the palace: the people who live or work in a palace, especially the royal family and the officials who serve them - พระราชวัง,วัง
- transfer: to change someone’s job or responsibilities - โยกย้ายตำแหน่ง
- trust: to believe someone is honest, fair, and reliable - เชื่อใจ, ไว้วางใจ
- uniform: the special set of clothes worn by all members of an organisation or a group at work, or by children at school - เครื่องแบบ