Education: HRH Princess Sirindhorn's vision
published : 28 Mar 2015 at 20:44
writer: Jon Fernquest
HRH Princess Sirindhorn urges educators to incorporate basic research into the curriculum as early as kindergarten to help students attain a more open-minded approach in their studies.
HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn presiding over the opening of the 43rd National Book Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center on Thursday (26-03-2015). From left nearest camera: Supakorn Vejjajiva, chief operating officer of Post Publishing, Vithaya Vejjajiva, author of Phan Puea Pandin, winner of Best Non-Fiction Book Award 2015 published by Post Books and H.E. Phan Wannamethee, secretary-general of the Thai Red Cross (Photo: Pawat Laopaisarntaksin)
More fieldwork 'will lead to broader vision'
Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has urged educators to incorporate basic research into the curriculum as early as kindergarten.
Khunying Sumontha Promboon, chairman of the Higher Education Commission, on Wednesday told participants about the initiative at a Chulalongkorn seminar focusing on HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's post-graduate education development, to mark the princess's 60th birthday.
HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn presiding over the opening of the 43rd National Book Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center on Thursday (26-03-2015). (Photo: Pawat Laopaisarntaksin)
Ms Khunying Sumontha said the princess, an activist who uses both theoretical and practical research approaches, suggested that schools use basic research or simple data collection to revamp kindergarten education.
However, research conducted at the graduate school level should be designed using a more methodical approach, she said.
Aside from developing textbooks, the princess also recommended promoting health, sanitation and environmental learning to help learners apply the knowledge in real-life situations, according to Khunying Sumontha.
"On university education, the princess said learning must aim to link several academic fields, not just the surface of each subject, as well as cultivating morals and ethics in professions," Khunying Sumontha added.
As for educational institutions, they should function as a centre for development of both community and society, while teachers should act as developers.
Princess Sirindhorn has worked with children and youth development projects in many schools in rural and remote areas since 1980. Her project covers students at all levels.
Khunying Sumontha said the princess also used information technology (IT) as part of her development project which allows people in remote areas including the disabled, patients, inmates and monks to gain access to distance learning.
"The princess said the capacity of every human being can be enhanced by education. Even though their abilities are not the same, equal opportunities must be provided for everyone," Khunying Sumontha said.
Meanwhile, Somkiat Tangkitwanich, president of the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), said that teachers should be freed up from administrative work to focus on teaching. He was speaking at a seminar organised by Thammasat University.
Teachers spend too much time doing evaluation reports rather than improving their teaching skills and student performance in classes, he said. Authorities should cut down on unnecessary assessment work, and offer training for teachers during school holidays instead.
Learn from listening
- academic: relating to education - เชิงวิชาการ
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- activist: someone who takes part in activities that are intended to achieve political or social change, especially someone who is a member of an organisation - นักกิจกรรม
- administrative (adj): involving the planning, organising and running of a business, an institution, etc - เกี่ยวกับการบริหาร
- aim: to have as your purpose or goal - มีเป้าหมาย มีจุดมุ่งหมาย
- apply: to make use of something - นำมาใช้
- approach: a way of doing or dealing with something; a particular way of doing something or thinking about something - การจัดการกับปัญหา วิธีการทำให้ถึงจุดหมาย
- aside from (prep): apart from; except for - นอกจาก, นอกเหนือจาก
- assessment: the process of making a judgment or forming an opinion, after considering something or someone carefully - การประเมิณสถานการณ์
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- award: a prize or a sum of money that is given to someone following an official decision - รางวัล
- basic: of the simplest kind or at the simplest level - พื้นฐาน, อันดับแรก, สำคัญ
- broad: wide - กว้างขวาง
- capacity: the ability to do a particular thing - ความสามารถ,สมรรถภาพ
- collection (noun): gathering; the bringing together that have been spread around - การเก็บรวบรวม
- conduct: to do something in an organised way; to carry out — - ลงมือทำ, ดำเนิน, ปฏิบัติ
- convention: a large formal meeting of people who do a particular job or have a similar interest, or a large meeting for a political party - การประชุมใหญ่
- cultivate: to develop an attitude, a way of talking or behaving, etc - ทำให้พัฒนาขึ้น
- curriculum: the group of subjects studied in a school, college, etc - หลักสูตร
- cut down on: use something in smaller amounts - ตัดสิ่งที่ไม่จำเป็นออก (เพื่อประหยัดค่าใช้จ่าย)
- data: facts or information, especially when examined and used to find out things or to make decisions - ข้อมูล, ตัวเลข, สถิติ
- develop: to think of or produce a new idea, product, etc. and make it successful; to build new houses, factories, etc. on an area of land, especially land that was not being used effectively before - พัฒนา
- development: the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc - การพัฒนา
- disabled: someone who has a condition, especially a physical one, that limits their activities in some way - คนพิการ
- educational institution (noun): a school -
- educator: teacher -
- enhance: to improve the quality, amount or strength of something - ปรับปรุง, ทำให้ดีขึ้น
- environmental (adj.): related to the natural world including plants and animals, land, water, air, especially as it is affected by human activities - สิ่งแวดล้อม
- equal: having the same rights or being treated the same as other people, without differences such as race, religion or sex being considered - เท่าเทียมกัน
- ethics: a set of principles to decide what is right or wrong - จรรยาบรรณ
- evaluation: the process of thinking carefully about something before making a judgment about its value, importance, or quality - การประเมินผล
- field (noun): an area of specialized knowledge that people work, study, teach and do research in - สาขา, วงการ, แวดวง
- fieldwork: doing research where the subject of research is located (in the field) - การศึกษาและสำรวจในสถานที่จริง
- focus: to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another - เพ่งความสนใจ
- function: to serve as; to be used as - ใช้เป็น, ทำหน้าที่เป็น
- gain access: to get the opportunity or right to have or use something - ได้โอกาสในการใช้
- graduate: to get a degree from a university or college; to complete a course in education, especially at high school - ได้รับปริญญา,สำเร็จการศึกษา
- graduate school: a part of a college or university where you can study for a second or further degree - บัณฑิตวิทยาลัย
- health (noun): the condition of a person's body or mind - สุขภาพ, สภาพร่างกาย
- incorporate: to include something so that it forms a part of something - ซึ่งรวมเข้าเป็นหนึ่งเดียวกัน
- initiative: a new action or movement, often intended to solve a problem - ความคิดริเริ่ม
- inmate: someone who is kept in a prison, mental hospital or other institution - ผู้ถูกกักกัน, ผู้ถูกกักบริเวณในเรือนจำหรือโรงพยาบาล
- kindergarten: a school for children, usually between the ages of two and five - โรงเรียนอนุบาล
- knowledge (noun): all the facts that people know about a subject (example: medical knowledge) - ความรู้
- level: a position or rank in a scale of size or importance - ระดับ
- link: to connect - เชื่อม
- mark: to celebrate something - เพื่อเฉลิมฉลอง
- method: a particular way of doing something - วิธีการ,วิธีดำเนินการ
- methodical: done in a thorough and organised way - ซึ่งเป็นระเบียบ, ซึ่งมีแบบแผน
- moral: relating to right and wrong and the way that people should behave - ทางศีลธรรม, เกี่ยวกับความรู้สึกผิดชอบชั่วดี
- morals: standards for good or bad character and behavior - หลักความประพฤติ, หลักจรรยา, หลักปฏิบัติ, หลักศีลธรรม
- opportunity (noun): a chance to do something, or a situation in which it is easy for you to do something - โอกาส
- participant: someone who takes part in something - ผู้เข้าร่วม
- patient: someone who is receiving medical treatment - คนป่วย, คนไข้
- performance (noun): how well someone does some task or activity; how well they achieve their goals - การปฏิบัติงาน, การทำให้บรรลุผลสำเร็จ
- post-: after something happens .... -
- practical: suitable for the situation in which something is used - ที่ขึ้นอยู่กับความเป็นจริง
- preside (verb): to be in charge of a ceremony, official meeting, or other event - (ทรง) เป็นประธานในพิธี
- profession: a type of job that needs special training or skill, especially one that needs a high level of education - อาชีพ
- project: a planned piece of work that is designed to find information about something, to produce something new, or to improve something - โครงการ
- promote: to encourage or support something - สนับสนุน
- publish: to produce a book, magazine, CD-ROM, etc. and sell it to the public - จัดพิมพ์
- real-life (adj): things that "really" happen in people's everyday life - ซึ่งเกิดขึ้นในชีวิตจริง
- recommended: suggested; saying that something is very good or useful - เป็นที่แนะนำ
- reform: a change that is intended to correct a situation that is wrong or unfair - การแก้ไข การปฏิรูป
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- research: a careful study of a subject, especially in order to discover new facts or information about it - การวิจัย
- results (noun): what you get in the end when activity is completed (test results, research results, etc) - ผล
- revamp: to make a major change or revision to something - ปรับปรุงใหม่
- rural: connected with the countryside outside big towns and cities - ในชนบท, บ้านนอก
- sanitation: the systems for taking dirty water and other waste products away from buildings in order to protect people's health - สุขอนามัย
- secretary-general (noun): the person who is in charge of the department that deals with the running of a large international or political organisation - เลขาธิการ, เลขาธิการใหญ่
- seminar: a meeting for discussion or training - การสัมมนา
- simple: easy to understand; not complicated - ง่าย,ไม่ยุ่งยาก, ไม่ซับซ้อน
- situation: all the circumstances and things that are happening at a particular time and in a particular place - สถานการณ์
- skill: the ability to do something well, usually as a result of experience and training - ฝีมือ, ทักษะ
- suggest: to mention an idea or a plan for somebody else to think about - เสนอ, เสนอแนะ
- surface: the outside or top layer of something - ผิวหน้า, ผิวภายนอก, ด้านนอก
- textbook: a book that teaches a particular subject and that is used especially in schools and colleges - หนังสือเรียน, ตำรับตำรา
- theoretical: according to theory, ideas that explain how or why something happens สมมติฐาน -
- training (noun): teaching people how to do a certain job or activity - การฝึกอบรม, การฝึก, การอบรม
- university (noun): a school where students study for BA, MA, MS and PhD degrees and where research is done - มหาวิทยาลัย
- unnecessary (adj): not needed; not necessary - ที่ไม่จำเป็น, ที่เกินจำเป็น
- urge (verb): to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - วิงวอน ย้ำเตือน
- vision: the ability to imagine how a country, society, industry, etc. could develop in the future and to plan in a suitable way - วิสัยทัศน์
- youth: young people considered as a group - เยาวชน, คนวัยหนุ่มสาว