Zayn Malik: "I just can’t do that anymore"
published : 28 Mar 2015 at 10:54
writer: Terry Fredrickson
News for our younger readers: Former One Direction member Zayn Malik has finally spoken about why he suddenly left the hugely-popular boy band.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Zayn Malik as he appears in the music video "You and I".
Zayn Malik: "I just can’t do that anymore"
Former One Direction member Zayn Malik has finally spoken about why he suddenly left the hugely-popular boy band.
His explanation came in an exclusive interview with Britain's The Sun tabloid, but what he said has now been leaked to just about every celebrity news outlet throughout the world.
Boy band, One Direction (L-R) Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, Zayn Malik and Harry Styles pose for a photograph as they attend the Royal Variety Performance at the London Palladium Theatre on November 13, 2014. AFP PHOTO / POOL / YUI MOK
Here are the key quotes:
“I feel like I’m doing what’s right, and right by myself and right by the boys, so I feel good.”
“I did try to do something that I wasn’t happy doing for a while, for the sake of maybe other people’s happiness – and that was mainly the fans. And I only ever tried to do it for the fans, and it was only ever for them. And, basically, I’m only upset I feel like I may have let them down in some sort of way. That’s the main thing that I don’t want to happen.”
“It’s not that I’ve turned my back on them or anything, it’s just that I just can’t do that anymore because it’s not real to me.”
“My band has been really supportive. They’ve been really cool about it. And they understand that, you know, it’s not real to me anymore. They still want to do it for a while, so they’re going to carry on doing what they want to do. And I think they’re doing to do OK for a while. I think they’re going to be cool.”
The Sun also reported that Malik is seriously looking into a career as a solo singer.
This music video gives very good close-up views of each of the One Direction band members:
For those of you who don't follow the pop music scene, here is a little background from AFP.
Malik, who is engaged to Little Mix pop star Perrie Edwards, quit the tour earlier this month due to stress after pictures appeared online showing him close to another woman in Thailand.
He also faced controversy when a video apparently showing him and fellow band member Louis Tomlinson smoking marijuana in a car while on tour in Peru last year went viral.
The band was formed during British talent show The X Factor in 2010 before achieving global success.
They are signed to Syco Music, founded by British music mogul and talent show supremo Simon Cowell, and are due to release a fifth album later this year.
Learn from listening
- apparently: based only on what you have heard or think, not on what you are certain is true; seemingly - ตามที่ได้รู้มา
- background: information about some person or subject that helps you better understand them and understand current events - ประวัติ
- career: a job or series of related jobs that you do, especially a profession that you spend a lot of your working life in - อาชีพ
- celebrity: someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business - คนมีชื่อเสียง
- controversy: a disagreement that a lot of people have strong feelings about - ความขัดแย้ง
- cool: clever; impressive - ดีเลิศ (คำสแลง)
- due to: because of - เนื่องจาก
- due to: scheduled to - มีกำหนด
- engaged: having agreed to marry somebody - หมั้น
- exclusive (adj): limited to a particular person, group or thing and not shared with others - แต่ผู้เดียว
- fellow: of a person that you work with or that is like you - ซึ่งอยู่เป็นกลุ่มเดียวกัน
- for the sake of: for the benefit or good of someone or something - เพื่อ
- found: to start an organization, company, political party etc - สร้าง, ก่อตั้ง, สถาปนา
- global: throughout the world - ทั่วโลก
- interview: a meeting (often a public one) at which a person is asked questions in order to find out their opinions, experiences, etc. - การสัมภาษณ์
- key: most important - ที่สำคัญ
- leak (verb): to tell private or secret information to journalists or to the public; to release secret or private information, photos, etc. without permission - ทำให้รู้ความลับ, เปิดเผย
- let down: to fail to do what someone who trusts you wanted you to do - ทำให้ผิดหวัง
- marijuana (noun): a drug (illegal in many countries) made from the dried leaves and flowers of the hemp plant, which gives the person smoking it a feeling of being relaxed - กัญชา, ต้นกัญชา
- mogul (noun): a very rich business person - ผู้มั่งคั่ง, นักธุรกิจที่ร่ำรวย
- outlet (noun): a business broadcasting the content of a particular producer - ช่อง
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- pose: to stay in a particular position in order to be photographed - วางท่าถ่ายรูป
- quote: the words that someone has spoken or written - คำอ้างอิง
- release (verb): to make something available to the public - นำออกแสดง, ออกวางจำหน่าย
- solo: done alone - กระทำเพียงคนเดียว, กระทำเพียงฝ่ายเดียว
- stress: mental pressure or worry - ความตึงเครียด
- success (noun): achieving the goals you wanted to achieve or made a lot of money - มีผลสำเร็จ, ประสบผลสำเร็จ, ประสบชัยชนะ
- supportive: giving help, encouragement or sympathy to somebody - เป็นกำลังใจ, สนับสนุน
- supremo (noun): a person who has the most power or authority in a particular business or activity -
- tabloid: a type of popular newspaper with small pages which has many pictures and short simple reports - หนังสือพิมพ์ขนาดเล็กที่รวมเรื่องสั้นต่างๆ ไว้
- talent: a natural ability to be good at something, especially without being taught - ความสามารถพิเศษ
- upset: very sad, worried or angry about something - วิตก กังวล
- viral: (of a video, photo, story, etc.) spread across the internet very quickly (like a virus spreading a disease) as people share it with their friends or the news media reports on it - แพร่กระจายผ่านทางอินเทอร์เน็ตอย่างรวดเร็ว