Deadly fire on Krabi tourist ferry (UPDATED)
published : 9 Apr 2015 at 08:32
writer: Terry Fredrickson
(Latest: Body reported found.) A 12-year-old Israeli girl trapped inside a bathroom died as 100 other frightened passengers and crew were rescued from the blazing Ao Nang Princess 5 tourist ferry off Krabi.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Here's a sad update from Achadtaya Chuenniran
Searchers on Thursday found the body of the 12-year-old Israeli girl who was trapped in a bathroom on a burning tourist ferry that sank on Wednesday off Krabi, a senior official said.
Supatcharapong Vorapradit, the Krabi defence chief, said the search team reported finding the body of Shani Maril, 12, amid the ferry wreckage at 10.59am on Thursday. It was about 100 metres from the spot where the tourist ferry sank. Divers were taking the girl's body to the shore.
The search was continuing on Thursday for a 12-year-old Israeli girl believed trapped inside a bathroom when 100 other panicked passengers and crew were rescued from a burning tourist ferry that sank off Krabi on Wednesday.
Marine police rescue crews and divers were scouring the sea for the wreckage of the vessel, which burned down to the waterline before sinking, Pol Maj Anurak Prinyasathirakul, a police inspector of the Marine Police Division 9 said on Thursday.
Tourists jump into sea to escape ferry fire off Krabi
A 12-year-old Israeli girl trapped inside a bathroom died as 100 other frightened passengers and crew were rescued from the blazing Ao Nang Princess 5 tourist ferry off Krabi.
The Israeli child was given a family vacation in Thailand as a bat mitzvah celebration present.
"She must have suffocated to death as the fire neared," said Nati Hadad, a rescue worker.
Pol Capt Sutthiwat Aunsiam, a duty officer at Muang Krabi station, told Jor Sor 100 radio late in the evening that rescue units searched for the girl in the toilet near the engine room but the heat of the fire prevented a close search.
Krabi Governor Songpol Sawasditham said more rescue staff and divers including personnel from the Third Naval Area Command will join the search of the stricken ship on Thursday.
Pol Capt Sutthiwat quoted Wirat Jittaraporn, the captain of the ferry with 104 passengers and crew onboard, as saying the vessel was about seven to eight kilometres from Railay beach near Ao Nang when he heard the explosion from the engine room.
He immediately ordered everyone to don life jackets and prepare to abandon ship. The fire quickly engulfed the ferry and burned it to the waterline before it sank off Krabi's Noppharat Thara beach.
A swift rescue effort from nearby fishing trawlers and pleasure craft saw all of those onboard except the Israeli child plucked safely from the sea. No injuries were initially reported.
The fire began in the engine room at the back of the 35-metre long and 4.5-metre wide ferry at 3.30pm when it was about eight kilometres off Noppharat Thara beach, Boonchao Tangsiripaisarn, director of Krabi’s Marine Office 5 told Jor Sor 100 traffic radio station.
About a dozen fishing trawlers, speed boats and rescue craft from police and marine authorities raced in at the first sign of trouble.
Passenger Panupon Rattanakornpanya, 44, told Thai Rath Online, that crew members told him and his wife and child that a fire had broken out and ordered everyone to gather at the bow.
“The fire then grew stronger. Everyone was in a panic. Some were crying. Many grabbed jackets and passed them on to others before we jumped into the water,” he said.
Mr Songpol said the ferry was equipped with fire extinguishers, "but in this case it appeared [the crew] were not able to control the blaze and this must be investigated again".
The sunken ferry was operated by Ao Nang Travel and Tour Co.
Learn from listening
- abandon: to leave a place, especially because it is difficult or dangerous to stay there - ละทิ้ง
- bat mitzvah (noun): a ceremony and celebration that is held for a Jewish girl between the ages of 12 and 14 at which she accepts the religious responsibilities of an adult -
- blaze: a large fire that causes a lot of damage - เพลิง
- blazing: burning -
- bow: the front part of a ship - หัวเรือ
- celebration: a party or special event at which you celebrate something such as a birthday, a festival or a religious holiday - การฉลอง
- craft: a boat, ship or space vehicle - เรือ,ยาน
- crew: the people who work on a ship, aircraft, etc. - ลูกเรือ
- diver: a person who works underwater, usually with special equipment - นักดำน้ำ
- don: to put on and wear something - ใส่
- dramatic: sudden, very great and often surprising - ตื่นเต้นเร้าใจ
- endure: to suffer something difficult, unpleasant or painful - อดทน
- engulfed: covered or surrounded by something harmful, in this case, fire - ปกคลุม
- explosion (noun): the sudden violent bursting and loud noise of something such as a bomb exploding; the act of deliberately causing something to explode - การระเบิด
- ferry: a boat for taking passengers across an area of water, especially as a regular service - เรือรับส่งข้ามฟาก
- fire extinguisher: a device which contains water or a special gas, powder or foam (= a mass of small bubbles) that is put onto a fire to stop it burning - เครื่องดับเพลิง
- frightened (adj): afraid; feeling fear - กลัว, ตกใจ, สะดุ้งตกใจกลัว
- grab: to take or hold somebody/something with your hand suddenly, firmly or roughly - จับ,ฉวย,คว้า,แย่ง
- immediately (adv): happening right after something else with no delay; right away - ทันที
- initially: at first - ในเบื้องต้น
- injury (noun): physical damage done to a person or a part of their body - อาการบาดเจ็บ
- inspector: an officer of middle rank in the police force - สารวัตร
- investigate: to try to find out the facts about something in order to learn the truth about it - ตรวจสอบหาความจริง
- jacket (noun): a piece of clothing worn on the top half of the body over a shirt, etc. that has sleeves and fastens down the front; a short, light coat - เสื้อแจ๊คเก็ต,เสื้อชั้นนอก
- life jacket: a jacket without sleeves, that can be filled with air, designed to help you float if you fall in water - เสื้อชูชีพ
- marine: relating to the sea and creatures that live in it - เกี่ยวกับทะเล
- naval (adj): connected with the navy of a country - เกี่ยวกับกองทัพเรือ
- onboard (adv): on a ship, aircraft or vehicle - บนยานพาหนะ
- operate: to carry out an activity like running a business - ดำเนินการ
- panic: a sudden strong feeling of fear or worry that causes you to be unable to think clearly or calmly - ความตื่นตกใจ
- panicked: anxious about something; feeling or showing panic - ตกใจ
- personnel: the people who are employed in a company, organization or one of the armed forces - บุคลากร, เจ้าหน้าที่, พนักงาน
- pleasure craft (noun): a boat used for enjoyment rather than business purposes -
- plucked: taken quickly from a particular situation or place - ถูกนำต้วออกมาจาก
- present: something you give someone as a gift - ของขวัญ
- prevent (verb): to stop somebody from doing something; to stop something from happening - ขัดขวาง, ป้องกัน, กัน, กีดขวาง
- quote: to repeat the words that someone else has said or written - ยกคำพูดมา
- rescue: saving a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - การช่วยชีวิต
- scores: large numbers of - จำนวนมาก
- scour: to search a place or document thoroughly for something - ค้นหา, ตรวจหา
- search (noun): looking somewhere or through something carefully in order to find something - การค้นหา
- search (verb): to look somewhere carefully in order to find someone/something - ค้นหา
- sink (past form: sank): to (cause something or someone to) go down below the surface or to the bottom of a liquid or soft substance - จม
- staff: workers employed by a person or organisation considered as a group - คณะผู้ทำงาน, คนงาน
- stricken: affected by serious problems such as injury or illness - ได้รับผลกระทบจากปัญหาหนักหน่วง
- suffocate (verb): to die because there is no air to breathe; to kill somebody by not letting them breathe air - หายใจไม่ออก, ทำให้หายใจไม่ออก
- sunken: having fallen to the bottom of the sea - จมอยู่ใต้น้ำ
- swift: quick - อย่างรวดเร็ว
- trapped: to be in a dangerous or unpleasant situation from which it is difficult or impossible to escape - ถูกกับดัก
- trawler (noun): a boat used for fishing by pulling a large net through the water - เรืออวนลาก
- unit: a group of people who work or live together, especially for a particular purpose - หน่วย,กอง,กลุ่ม
- vessel: a boat or ship - เรือ
- waterline (noun): the level that the water reaches along the side of a ship - เส้นน้ำลึกของเรือ
- wreckage: the parts of a vehicle or building that remain after it has been severely damaged - ซากตึกบ้านเรือนที่ถูกทำลาย