(Video) Songkran fun, the Thai way
published : 10 Apr 2015 at 12:42
writer: Terry Fredrickson
This is a Bangkok Post video aimed at foreign viewers and future tourists. It takes a positive, light-hearted view of the popular festival, but some of the comments from foreign viewers are not so positive. What do you think?
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Buy your Songran weaponry today before it gets more expensive. THANARAK KHUNTON
This is a Bangkok Post video aimed at foreign viewers and future tourists. It takes a positive, light-hearted view of the popular festival, but some of the comments from foreign viewers are not so positive.
"Songkran is a derailed tradition that used to be respectful and nice, now its just drunkenness and accidents."
"Does nobody actually realise how deranged this festival has become, and that this should not be the hailed as a great event."
"Dirty water thrown into moving traffic causing hundreds of unnecessary deaths."
Watch the video. Has Songran really become this bad or is only grumpy foreigners who are commenting?
English learners: You will hear several accents in this video, not of them American like mine.
World's biggest water fight
The traditional New Year in Thailand is known as Songkran and the festival takes place every April over several days of fun.
The festival coincides with many other south- and southeast-Asian country's calendars and is famous for for its water-pouring and soaking street parties throughout the country.
The water is meant as a symbol of washing all of the bad away and making a fresh start. It also heralds the commencement of Thailand's rainy season.
The traditional water-pouring is a gentle affair, but in some city streets, particularly the famous Khao San road in Bangkok, you can join in what must be one of the largest friendly water fights in the world.
As April is the hottest month of the year in Thailand, this is often the best way to cool down.
People from all over the globe well and truly get in the spirit of thiings
"Guys, what are you names?"
"So you're obviously well and truly into Songkran. You've got the biggest water pistols I've ever seen..."
"Well, you you know you need as much water as you can get. You don't have to keep going back for more water."
"She's a girl who like big guns."
"What do you make of the whole Songkran thing."
"It's awesome. You get to go around with this huge gun and shoot people ....in the face... and other body parts. And its really good when its water
"Do you feel like you've sort of regressed to your childhood?"
"Yes, very much so. You don't get have so much fun with adults without having a fight."
Songkran is one of the major holiday opportunities in Thailand and many people return to their hometowns or provinces where celebrations are very much a family affair.
If you are holidaying in Thailand during Songkran be sure to bring a playful spirit along and be prepared to get well and truly drenched.
As the Thais figure, anyone out in public is fair game.
Youngsters from all walks revel in the spirit of Songkran and foam parties such as this one are all perfectly appropriate at this time of the year.
So safeguard all of your electronic devices, passports, cash and watches and don't worry about fixing your hair over this period as the perfectly just-left-the-salon look will quickly be past tense.
Oh, and definitely leave you new suede jacket or shoes in the closet.
Songkran is not for everyone but it is certainly one of Thailand's unmistakeably unique celebrations where one can relive their youthful exuberance and have a blast.
- accent: a way of saying words that shows what country, region, or social class someone comes from - สำเนียง
- adult: a fully grown person who is legally responsible for their actions - ผู้ใหญ่
- affair: an event - เรื่องราว
- aim: to have as your purpose or goal - มีเป้าหมาย มีจุดมุ่งหมาย
- all walks of life: all parts of society , e.g., rich, poor, educated , uneducated, rural, city -
- appropriate: (opposite: inappropriate) suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose - ที่เหมาะสม
- awesome: extremely good - ดีเยี่ยม
- calendar: a printed table showing all the days, weeks and months of the year - ปฏิทิน
- cash: money - เงินสด
- childhood (noun): the period of somebody's life when they are a child - วัยเด็ก
- closet: a small room or a space in a wall with a door that reaches the floor, used for storing things - ชั้น, ตู้
- coincide with: to happen at the same time as something else - เกิดขึ้นพร้อมกับ
- commencement (noun): beginning - การเริ่มต้น
- derail: to prevent something from continuing in the way that it was planned - ทำให้ล้มเหลว
- deranged: unable to behave and think normally, especially because of mental illness - ควบคุมตัวเองไม่ได้เพราะป่วยทางจิต
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- drenched: extremely wet all over - เปียกโชก
- drunkenness (noun): the state of being drunk - ความมึนเมา
- exuberance: to be very happy and excited about something -
- fair game: someone whom it is ok to attack -
- famous: very well known - มีชื่อเสียง
- festival (noun): an event that is held to celebrate a particular thing or activity - เทศกาล
- figure: to think that something is probably true; to think or decide that something will happen or is true - ประเมิน, คิดคำนวน, คาดคะเน
- foam: a soft light material, full of small holes, that is used for containers, seats, etc. - ฟอง
- fresh: clearly new and different; clean, bright, and attractive in appearance - ใหม่, กระชุ่มกระชวย, มีชีวิตชีวา
- gentle: not strong or extreme - เบาๆ, ค่อยๆ
- grumpy: unhappy and dissatisfied, often for no obvious reason - อารมณ์เสีย, อารมณ์ไม่ดี
- hailed: praised a person or an achievement by saying that they are similar to someone or something very good - ยกย่อง
- have a blast (idiom): to enjoy yourself a lot - มีช่วงเวลาที่น่าสนุกสนาน
- herald (verb): to be a sign that something important, and often (but not always) good, is starting to happen - ส่งสัญญาณ
- light-hearted: light-hearted intended to be amusing or easily enjoyable rather than too serious - สนุกสนาน, เบิกบานใจ, เบาสมอง
- obviously: clearly - เห็นได้ชัด, อย่างชัดแจ้ง
- opportunity (noun): a chance to do something, or a situation in which it is easy for you to do something - โอกาส
- particularly: especially, or more than usual - โดยเฉพาะ
- pistol: a small gun that you hold in one hand - ปืนพก,ปืนสั้น
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- positive: something good - ในแง่ดี
- pour (verb): to make a liquid or other substance flow from a container in a continuous stream, especially by holding the container at an angle - เท
- realise (verb): to know about - ตระหนัก รู้
- regress (verb): return to an earlier or less advanced form or way of behaving - กลับไปสู่ภาวะเดิม, ถอยหลัง
- relive: to experience something again, especially in your imagination - หวนคิดถึงประสบการณ์ในอดีต, หวนนึกถึง
- respectful (adj.): feeling or showing respect - ซึ่งมีความเคารพ
- revel (verb): to spend time enjoying yourself in a noisy, enthusiastic way - สนุกสนาน, เพลิดเพลิน
- safeguard: to protect something/somebody from loss, harm or damage; to keep something/somebody safe - ป้องกัน, ปกป้อง, คุ้มครอง, อารักขา
- salon: beauty salon - ร้านเสริมสวย
- season (noun): a period of time during the year - ฤดูกาล, ช่วงเวลา, ระยะเวลา
- soaking (adj): very wet - เปียกโชก
- spirit (noun): a mood, a feeling - อารมณ์
- suede (noun): soft leather with a surface like velvet on one side, used especially for making clothes and shoes - v
- symbol: someone or something that represents a particular idea or quality - สัญลักษณ์
- the globe: the world - โลก
- tradition: a very old custom, belief, or story - ประเพณี, ขนบธรรมเนียม
- traditional (adj): of a custom, a way of life or a way of doing things that has not changed for a long time - เป็นประเพณี, ตามธรรมเนียม, ตามที่ปฏิบัติกันมา
- unique: being the only one of its kind - ซึ่งเป็นหนึ่งเดียว
- unmistakeably (adj): in a way that cannot be mistaken for somebody/something else -
- weaponry (noun): all the weapons of a particular type or belonging to a particular country or group - อาวุธ, อาวุธยุทโธปกรณ์, สรรพวุธ
- well and truly: completely, truly, for sure - อย่างแท้จริง
- What do you make of (ques): What do you think of -
- youngster: a young person or a child - คนหนุ่มคนสาว, เด็ก
- youthful (adjective): looking, appearing and behaving like a young person - ดรุณ, หนุ่ม, อ่อน, รุ่น, วัยกำดัด, วัยแรกรุ่น