400 street racers arrested; bail denied (UPDATED)
published : 1 Jun 2015 at 08:55
updated: 2 Jun 2015 at 09:16
writer: Terry Fredrickson
A combined force of police and soldiers arrested more than 400 street racers, many of the minors, early Sunday, confiscating 272 motorcycles in the biggest "dek waen" arrest ever. Thai PBS reports that they are likely to spend at least a week in detention before seeing their families.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Thai PBS reports tonight that a juvenile court has denied bail to those arrested at the request of the police who want to keep them in detention for at least a week in an effort to adjust their attitudes. Their behaviour was reckless and a danger to society police said. Apparently, the earliest their parents will see their children will be one week and meanwhile they will be questioned as to why they allowed their children, some of whom were less than 15 years old, to be outside at 2am.
Busted: 400 street racers
More than 400 motorcycle racers were arrested on Ratchaphruek Road in Thon Buri district early Sunday, in what is believed to be the country's biggest bust ever for the street racers.
The operation was led by deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 8 Pol Col Wisan Panmanee. A 150-strong combined force from Talat Phlu, Bang Yi Rua and Samre police stations and soldiers from Surasi army camp in Kanchanaburi took part in the operation, supported by paramedic volunteers from the Por Tek Tung Foundation. They started moving in to make their arrests at 2am.
Police had been preparing for the operation, code-named "Ratchaphruek model to weed out dek waen (street motorcycle racers) and sao sakoy (girls on pillion riders) troubling the city", for roughly three weeks before the bust early Sunday. Officers took up positions in small sois off Ratchaphruek Road until the bikers converged. They then chased them in their vehicles with sirens going. Many racers drove to a flyover at the Ratchadaphisek-Talat Phlu intersection, but were met with a blockade of officers on the other side.
A total of 437 people, including 66 women and 237 minors, were arrested, said police, who also also seized 272 motorcycles and one car. Two of the suspects tested positive for drugs, said national police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri.
The bikers face charges for racing in a public space – with a maximum punishment of up to six months in jail or a fine of 10,000 baht – and reckless driving, which carries a penalty of six months in prison or a 10,000-baht fine. The pillion riders and others involved face charges of complicity, but their punishment would be less severe, he said.
The parents of the teen racers, many of whom turned up to collect their children at Talat Phlu station, could be charged with breaching the Child Protection Act, which involves supporting or allowing children to break the law.
Learn from listening
- Act: a law passed by a country’s government - พ.ร.บ. พระราชบัญญัติ
- adjust: to change something slightly, especially to make it more correct, effective, or suitable - ปรับ
- apparently: based only on what you have heard or think, not on what you are certain is true; seemingly - ตามที่ได้รู้มา
- arrest (verb): (of the police) to take someone to a police station because they are believed to have committed a crime - จับกุม
- attitude: someone’s opinions or feelings about something, especially as shown by their behaviour - ทัศนคติ, ลักษณะท่าทาง
- behaviour: the way that someone acts or behaves - พฤติกรรม, การกระทำตัว
- blockade: an action that is intended to prevent people or goods from moving from one place to another - การกีดขวาง; การกีดขวางการจราจร
- breach (verb): to fail to follow a law, rule or agreement - ละเมิดกฎข้อบังคับ, ละเมิดสัญญา
- bust (noun): an arrest; an unexpected visit made by the police in order to arrest people for doing something illegal - การจับกุม
- busted: arrested, especially for offences relating to drugs, gambling, etc. - ถูกจับ, โดนจับกุม
- charge: to accuse someone officially of committing a crime - ตั้งข้อกล่าวหา
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- code name (noun): a name used for a person or thing, usually in order to keep the real name secret -
- combined: joint; done together; belonging to or shared between two or more people - ที่ร่วมกัน, ร่วมมือกัน
- commander: a police offer of high rank - ผู้บังคับบัญชา
- complicity: involvement in something bad - มีส่วนเกี่ยวข้อง
- converge: to come from different directions to reach the same point - ไปยังจุดหมายเดียวกัน
- deny bail: (of a court) to not to allow someone to go free on bail - ไม่ให้ประกันตัว
- deputy: a person whose rank is immediately below that of the leader of an organisation - รอง
- detention (noun): the condition of being forced officially to stay in a place - การกักตัว
- division (noun): one part of a large company or organisation - แผนก
- face: to (likely) have to deal with a problem - เผชิญ, พบ, เจอ
- fine: an amount of money that you have to pay because you have broken the law - ค่าปรับ
- flyover: a bridge that carries one road over another one - สะพานลอยที่ให้รถวิ่ง
- force (noun): a group of people who have been trained to protect other people, usually by using weapons - กองกำลัง
- foundation: an organisation that provides money for things such as medical research or for a charity - มูลนิธิ
- juvenile (noun): a young person/animal who is not yet an adult - เยาวชน
- maximum: the most possible - ที่สูงสุด ที่มากที่สุด
- meanwhile: at the same time - ในเวลาเดียวกัน
- metropolitan police: the police in responsible for a city - ตำรวจนครบาล
- minor: someone who has not reached the age where they are legally an adult - เยาวชน
- operation: a planned activity involving a lot of people, especially soldiers or police officers - การปฏิบัติการ
- paramedic: someone who is trained to give medical treatment to people at the place where an accident has happened - ทีมแพทย์ช่วยชีวิต
- penalty: a punishment, or the usual punishment, for doing something wrong - โทษ
- pillion (adj): riding behind the driver of a motorcycle - นั่งซ้อนท้าย (รถจักรยานยนต์, จักรยาน)
- position (noun): the place where somebody/something is located - ตำแหน่ง, สถานที่
- positive (adj): showing clear evidence that a particular substance or medical condition is present มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ) - มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ)
- protection: the act of protecting somebody/something; the state of being protected - การอารักขา, การปกป้อง
- public: open to people in general - สาธารณะ
- punishment: an act or a way of punishing somebody - การลงโทษ
- reckless (adj): doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results - ชะล่าใจ, เสี่ยง, ไม่ยั้งคิด
- roughly: approximately but not exactly - โดยประมาณ, อย่างคร่าวๆ
- seize (verb): to take control of by force or official power - ยึกครอง
- severe: very serious and unpleasant - รุนแรง
- siren: a piece of equipment that makes a loud sound, used for warning people - เสียงหวอ, ไซเรน, สัญญาณเตือนภัย
- space: an area or a place that is empty or that can be moved about freely - ที่ว่าง
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- trouble (verb): to make somebody worried or upset - รบกวน, ก่อกวน
- volunteer (noun): someone who is not paid for the work that they do; someone who does something willingly without being required to - อาสาสมัคร
- weed out: to get rid of unwanted things or people - กำจัดให้หมดไป