New Tourism-boosting visas: 6-months with multiple-entries
published : 6 Aug 2015 at 13:06
writer: Jon Fernquest
New visas a likely trade boon, promoting Thailand as destination for weekend vacations, making it easier for business people to visit often, benefiting frequent visitors to Thailand as well as attracting more longer stay tourists to the country.
Tourists waiting at check-in counter before flight. Inset: Royal Thai Consul General, Chanchai Charanvatnakit greets people during the inauguration ceremony of the Visa Application Centre in Hyderabad, India on June 2, 2011. Thailand set up seven new Visa Application Centres in India for the benefit of travellers and to handle a higher volume of travellers (Source: AFP)
The Tourism and Sports Ministry and tourism operators have hailed the approval of multiple-entry visas effective for six months as a measure that will help to attract more tourists to the country.
The ministerial regulation under the Immigration Act of 1979, approved by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday, will allow tourists to get a visa enabling them to make multiple entries into Thailand during a six-month period.
The multiple-entry visa will cost 5,000 baht, while a visa for a single entry will be 1,000 baht.
Multiple entry visas will become available 60 days after the regulation is published in the Royal Gazette.
Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said the multiple visa was a new measure to boost tourism, as more tourists will visit the country.
Charoen Wangananont, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, agreed with Ms Kobkarn, saying it would benefit those who often visit Thailand.
"It's a good start, although even the six-month period may still be short for some visitors," he said.
The Tourism and Sports Ministry earlier proposed the cabinet approve the multiple visa for a 12-month period.
"We hope this multiple visa measure will promote Thailand as a destination for weekend vacations and that business people will visit Thailand more often," Ms Kobkarn said.
During the first seven months of this year, the number of international tourist arrivals increased by 30.7% to 17.5 million, with tourism revenue growing by 30% to 818 billion baht.
The 2015 tourist arrivals target is 29 million visitors for tourism revenue of 1.4 trillion baht, up from 24.8 million visitors and 1.13 trillion baht last year.
Areepong Bhoocha-oom, newly appointed tourism permanent secretary, said his ministry would propose a strategic tourism development plan to the National Tourism Policy Committee next Monday.
Under the plan, the country will focus on generating tourism revenue, particularly for local communities, and try to attract more quality tourists. The plan comprises three strategies — tourism product and service development, tourism management, and marketing.
"We want to upgrade the quality of life of people in tourism destinations nationwide and make them stronger for sustainable tourism development. Self-sufficiency is key to our goal," Mr Areepong said.
Learn from listening
- Act: a law passed by a country’s government - กฎหมาย
- application: a formal request for permission to do or have something - การขอ
- appointed: officially chosen for a job - ถูกแต่งตั้ง
- approval: agreement to do or accept something - ความเห็นชอบด้วย
- approve: to give official permission - อนุมัต
- approved: given official agreement or permission - ได้รับการรับรองแล้ว
- arrival: when someone reaches where they are going (arrives) - ขาเข้า การเข้ามา
- association: an official group of people who have joined together for a particular purpose - สมาคม
- attract: to cause someone to be interested in something - ดึงดูดความสนใจ
- benefit: an advantage you get from a situation; a helpful or good effect, or something intended to help - ผลประโยชน์, ข้อได้เปรียบ, ผลดี
- benefit: to give an advantage to someone - มีประโยชน์ต่อ
- boon (noun): something good and useful that you get; a benefit - สิ่งที่เป็นประโยชน์, สิ่งที่ช่วยอำนวยความสะดวก
- boost: to increase - เพิ่ม
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- check-in: the place where you go first when you arrive at an airport, to show your ticket, etc - เช็คอิน
- committee: a group of people who are chosen, usually by a larger group, to make decisions or to deal with a particular subject - คณะกรรมการ
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- comprise: to consist or be made up of two or more things - ประกอบด้วย
- consul: an official chosen by a government to live in a foreign city, in order to take care of people from the official's own country who travel or live there, and to protect the trade interests of that government - กงสุล
- counter: a long flat surface over which goods are sold or business is done in a shop/store, bank, etc - เคาน์เตอร์, โต๊ะขนาดยาว
- destination: the place where someone or something is going - จุดหมายปลายทาง
- development: the gradual growth of something so that it becomes more advanced, stronger, etc - การพัฒนา
- effective: officially begun to be used ; to take effect - มีผล
- enable: to make someone able to do something, or to make something possible - ทำให้เป็นไปได้
- entry (noun): the act of going into a place - การเข้า
- entry: the place where you come into a place; an act of going into or getting into a place - ทางเข้า, การเข้า
- focus: to give attention, effort, etc. to one particular subject, situation or person rather than another - เพ่งความสนใจ
- generate: to produce - ผลิต, ก่อให้เกิด
- hailed: praised a person or an achievement by saying that they are similar to someone or something very good - ยกย่อง
- handle: to be able deal with a situation - ควบคุมได้, จัดการได้
- immigration: the process in which people enter a country in order to live there permanently - การย้ายถิ่นฐาน
- inauguration: to officially open a building, start an organisation, or begin a project with a special ceremony - พิธีเปิด
- international: connected with or involving two or more countries - นานาชาติ, สากล, ระหว่างประเทศ
- local: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ท้องถิ่น
- measure: a firm action taken to solve a problem or stop a dangerous unpleasant situation - มาตราการ
- minister: a member of the cabinet, the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - รัฐมนตรี
- ministerial: involving government ministers - ระดับรัฐมนตรี
- multiple: many - มากมาย
- national (adjective): for the whole country - แห่งชาติ, ของชาติ
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- operator (noun): a person or company that runs a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- particularly: especially, or more than usual - โดยเฉพาะ
- period: a particular length of time - ระยะเวลา
- permanent secretary: a government official, not a political appointee, in charge of a ministry - ปลัดกระทรวง
- policy (noun): a set of plans or action agreed on by a government, political party, business, or other group - นโยบาย
- promote: to encourage or support something - สนับสนุน
- propose: to suggest an idea for a group to consider - เสนอ
- regulation: an official rule that controls the way that things are done - ระเบียบข้อบังคับ
- revenue: income from taxes or business activities - รายได้
- royal gazette: a royal publication begun in 1858 by King Mongkut (Rama IV) as the official way of announcing news laws, decrees, ministerial proclamations, etc. - ราชกิจจานุเบกษา
- strategic: carefully planned in order to achieve a particular goal, especially in war, business, or politics - ทางยุทธศาสตร์
- strategy: a plan or method for achieving something, especially over a long period of time - ยุทธวิธี, แผนการ
- upgrade (noun): something that improves the quality or usefulness of a computer, a machine or a system - การยกระดับ, การพัฒนาให้ดีขึ้น
- visa: an official document or mark in your passport that allows you to enter or leave a country for a specific purpose or period of time - วีซ่า, เอกสารอนุมัติที่ประทับตราบนหนังสือเดินทาง
- volume (noun): an amount of something - ปริมาณ