Giant king statues in Hua Hin complete (with photos)
published : 10 Aug 2015 at 00:08
writer: Jon Fernquest
The army has finished installing the last of seven giant statues of famed Thai kings in Hua Hin, with a bronze statue of King Chulalongkorn the last to be erected on Sunday.
The army has finished installing the seven giant statues of famed Thai kings at Ratchapakdi Park in Hua Hin district of Prachuap Khiri Khan. (Photos by Pattarapong Chatpattarasill, Tawatchaik & Pawat)
A bronze statue of King Chulalongkorn, which was transported from a casting factory in Bangkok, was the last to be erected in the new park, now under construction, on Sunday. The other statues are of King Ramkhamhaeng the Great, King Naresuan the Great, King Narai the Great, King Taksin the Great, King Buddha Yodfa Chulalok the Great, and King Mongkut.
After the installation, artists from six casting factories in Nakhon Pathom, Lop Buri, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani and Bangkok, where the statues were made, will decorate the 13.9-metre-tall and six-metre-wide images.
A religious ceremony presided over by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will be held on Aug 19.
The park, located on 222 rai in an army compound near the Klai Kangwon Palace, is intended to demonstrate people's loyalty to the royal institution.
The 700-million-baht park will also function as a venue for civic occasions, a tourist attraction and a place for public education on Thai history. A 91-rai area is designated for important ceremonies, a museum and an exhibition centre under the kings' statues to display the profiles and contributions of all former monarchs.
Learn from listening
- bronze: a dark reddish-brown metal made by mixing copper and tin - ทองสัมฤทธ์, ทองแดง
- cast: to shape hot liquid metal, etc. by pouring it into a hollow container (called a mould) - หล่อ
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- civic (adj): relating to the people who live in a town or city or the duties and responsibilities that they have as citizens - เกี่ยวกับพลเมือง
- complete (verb): to finish something; to bring some project to an end after having done everything successfully - ทำเสร็จ, ทำให้สมบูรณ์
- compound: an area enclosed by a fence or wall, usually in which people work or live - บริเวณ
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- contribution: something that you do that helps to achieve something or to make it successful - ผลงาน,การช่วยเหลือ
- decorate: to make something look more attractive by putting nice things on it or in it - ประดับ, ตกแต่ง
- demonstrate (verb): to show something and explain how it works - สาธิต
- designated: formally chosen - แต่งตั้ง
- display: to put something in a particular place so that people can see it easily - โชว์, แสดง
- erect: to put the parts of something together so that it stands upright - ตั้งขึ้น
- exhibition: a public show where art or other interesting things are put so that people can go and look at them - นิทรรศการ งานแสดง
- factory: a building or group of buildings where goods are made - โรงงาน
- famed: famous - ซึ่งมีชื่อเสียง
- former: of or in an earlier time; before the present time or in the past - อดีต, แต่ก่อน
- function: to serve as; to be used as - ใช้เป็น, ทำหน้าที่เป็น
- history (noun): the set of facts that are known about somebody's/something's past; a record of something happening frequently in the past life of a person, family or place; facts about someone's past illnesses - ประวัติเฉพาะราย, ประวัติคนไข้,
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- install: to put a piece of equipment somewhere and make it ready for use - ติดตั้ง
- installation (noun): the act of fixing equipment or furniture in position so that it can be used - การติดตั้ง
- institution: an important tradition or system upon which society is based - สถาบัน
- intended: planned; wanted to happen - ที่ได้วางแผนไว้ ที่ตั้งใจให้เกิดขึ้น
- located: where something is - ตั้งอยู่
- loyalty: support that you always give to someone or something because of your feelings of duty and love towards them - ความจงรักภักดี
- monarchs: kings and queens - กษัตริย์หรือผู้ครองประเทศ
- museum: a building where objects of historical, scientific or artistic interest are kept - พิพิธภัณฑ์
- occasion: a special event, ceremony or celebration - โอกาส, งาน
- preside (verb): to be in charge of a ceremony, official meeting, or other event - (ทรง) เป็นประธานในพิธี
- profile: a description of somebody/something that gives useful information - ประวัติโดยย่อ
- public: open to people in general - สาธารณะ
- religious (adj.): relating to religion, or to the beliefs and practices of a particular religion - เกี่ยวกับศาสนา
- royal: a member of the family of a king and queen - บุคคลในราชวงศ์
- statue: a human or animal image that is made of stone, wood, metal, etc. - รูปปั้น
- tourist attraction: somewhere or something tourists can visit that is interesting or enjoyable - แหล่งท่องเที่ยว
- transport: moving people or things from one place to another - การขนส่ง
- venue: a place where a public event or meeting takes place - สถานที่ชุมนุม