Coup film 'No escape' to show in Thailand: Plans to get more films shot in Thailand (with video)
published : 11 Aug 2015 at 14:16
writer: Jon Fernquest
The film No Escape, shot in Thailand, about American family caught in coup in unnamed country, gets permission to show in Thailand. Govt plans to attract more film shoots to Thailand.
Coup film 'No escape' to show in Thailand: Govt plans to get more films shot in Thailand
Despite rumours that the film was banned by Thailand's military government because it depicts a coup in a Southeast Asian country, the Culture Ministry on Monday confirmed the film was approved by censors on July 28 and will open as planned on Sept 10.
During the filming of the film, that was called "The Coup" at the time, a fire broke out on the film set in Lampang and actors Pierce Brosnan and Owen Wilson reportedly "barely escaped" the flames (See here).
DRAWING MORE FILM SHOOTS TO THAILAND
Thailand is hoping to become the setting for more movies by paying larger rebates to international filmmakers.
The Ministry of Tourism and the Sports Ministry plan to seek cabinet approval to give back up to 20% of the money spent in Thailand by overseas movie producers. Known as "incentives," the rebates are a key tool used by countries around the world to land movie shoots.
Under the proposal, foreign filmmakers who spend at least 100-200 million baht in Thailand would get 15-20% of the money spent returned...
The idea was floated after Thailand lost out to Great Britain for a chance to be a shooting location for the latest episode in the Star Wars movie franchise. The United Kingdom offered more in incentives...
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha regretted losing out on the opportunity..
Incentives are not only a way for countries to generate income, but are also positive exposure for the country as well.
Mexico returned US$10 million to makers of the latest James Bond movie, but required producers to cast Mexican stars and depict the country in a positive light.
A request will be made to the cabinet to provide 300 million baht a year for the Department of Tourism to disburse in filmmaking incentives.
The Thailand Film Office earlier reported that Indian filmmakers shot the most movies in Thailand in 2013, with Bangkok being the most-frequent set location.
Out of 717 foreign films shot here, 150 were from India, 140 from Japan 38 from Hong Kong, 34 from the US and 29 each from China and South Korea.
Learn from listening
- actor (noun): a person in a drama on TV, a movie or on stage - นักแสดงชาย
- adj (noun): connected with soldiers or the armed forces - ในทางทหาร,เกี่ยวกับทหาร
- approval: official permission - การอนุมัต
- approved: given official agreement or permission - ได้รับการรับรองแล้ว
- as well: also, too - อีกด้วย
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- cast: the actors in a film, play or show - คนแสดง
- censor: a person whose job is to examine books, films/movies, etc. and remove parts which are considered to be offensive, immoral or a political threat - เจ้าหน้าที่ตรวจสอบ, เซ็นเซอร์
- chance (noun): a possibility; a likelihood; an opportunity - โอกาส
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- coup: the seizure of power in a country by a group of people, usually members of the armed forces - รัฐประหาร
- culture (noun): the customs and beliefs, art, way of life and social organization of a particular country or group - วัฒนธรรม
- depict: to represent or show something in a picture or story - พรรณนา, บรรยายให้เห็นภาพ
- despite (prep): used to show that something happened or is true although something else might have happened to prevent it; used to show that somebody did not intend to do the thing mentioned - ถึงอย่างไรก็ตาม, ทั้ง ๆ ที่
- disburse: to pay money to someone from a large amount that has been collected for a purpose - เบิกจ่าย
- dodge: to avoid something unpleasant - หลบหลีก
- draw: to attract or interest somebody, often to cause them to go somewhere - ดึงดูดความสนใจ
- episode: an event or set of events that forms part of a longer series but is considered separately - กรณี, ตอน,ฉาก
- exposure: the fact of being discussed or mentioned on television, in newspapers, etc. - การเผย, การเปิดเผย
- float: to suggest a plan or an idea for consideration - เสนอ
- frequent: happening often - เกิดขึ้นบ่อย
- generate: to produce - ผลิต, ก่อให้เกิด
- identified (verb): named, searched for a discovered - ระบุ
- in a positive light: in a good way - ในทางบวก
- incentive: something that makes you want to do something or work harder, because you know that you will benefit by doing this - สิ่งกระตุ้น
- income: money that someone gets from working or from investing money - รายได้
- international: connected with or involving two or more countries - นานาชาติ, สากล, ระหว่างประเทศ
- key: very important - ที่สำคัญ
- land: to get or achieve something good, especially in a way which seems easy or unexpected - ได้รับ
- latest (adj): newest; most recent - ] ล่าสุด, See also: ทันสมัยที่สุด, เกิดหลังสุด
- location: where someone or something is - ที่ตั้ง,ทำเล
- lost out: to not get something, you were competing with others to get -
- make sure: to ensure; to make certain that something happens or is done - ให้การยืนยัน, รับรอง, ให้ความมั่นใจ
- ministry: a government department that has a particular area of responsibility - กระทรวง
- obviously: clearly - เห็นได้ชัด, อย่างชัดแจ้ง
- offer (verb): to make something available or to provide the opportunity for something - ให้, เสนอ
- opportunity (noun): a chance to do something, or a situation in which it is easy for you to do something - โอกาส
- overseas: in another country - ต่างประเทศ
- partially: in part, but not completely - บางส่วน
- positive: good - ที่ดี
- producer: a person who makes the practical and financial arrangements needed to make a film, play, television or radio programme - ผู้อำนวยการสร้างภาพยนต์, ผู้ผลิต
- projectile (noun): an object, such as a bullet, that is fired from a gun or other weapon; any object that is thrown as a weapon - วัตถุใด ๆ ที่ถูกขว้างหรือถูกยิงออกไป
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- provide: to give someone/ something that they want or need - จัดหาให้, จัดเตรียมไว้ให้
- rebate: an amount of money that is taken away from the cost of something, before you pay for it - ส่วนลด, เงินภาษีที่ต้องคืนให้
- recent: happening or starting a short time ago - เร็วๆ นี้
- regret: a feeling of sadness about something sad or wrong or about a mistake that you have made, and a wish that it could have been different and better - ความโทมนัส,ความเสียใจ,ความเศร้าโศก
- request: an act of asking for something in a formal or polite way - การขอร้อง
- require: to make somebody do or have something, especially because it is necessary according to a particular law or set of rules - บังคับใช้ (กฎหมาย) กำหนด
- riot police: police who are trained to deal with violent groups of people - ตำรวจปราบจราจล
- rumour: a piece of information, or a story, that people talk about, but that may not be true - ข่าวลือ
- scene: a part of a film/movie, play or book in which the action happens in one place or is of one particular type - ฉาก, ตอน
- set: a place where a play is performed or part of a film/movie is filmed - ฉาก
- setting: the place where someone or something is, and all the things, people, or emotions that are part of that place - สภาพแวดล้อม,
- shield: an object that police officers carry in order to protect themselves - เกราะ
- shoot: an occasion when somebody takes professional photographs for a particular purpose or makes a film/movie - การถ่ายภาพ
- shooting: an occasion when somebody takes professional photographs for a particular purpose or makes a film/movie - การถ่ายภาพ
- shot: when somebody makes a film/movie - ถ่ายภาพ
- step: one of a series of actions that you do in order to achieve a particular aim - ขั้นตอน
- tool (noun): a thing that helps you to do your job or to achieve something - เครื่องมือ
- upside down: in or into a position in which the top of something is where the bottom is normally found and the bottom is where the top is normally found - พลิกเอาด้านบนลงล่าง, กลับหัวกลับหาง