Bike for Mom 2015 (UPDATED)
published : 16 Aug 2015 at 15:23
updated: 17 Aug 2015 at 09:46
writer: Jon Fernquest
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn & Her Royal Highness Princess Bajra Kitiyabha led thousands of cyclists in the "Bike for Mom" cycling event on Sunday to mark Her Majesty the Queen's 83rd birthday.
Bike for Mom bicyclists arrive at Victory Monument.
Start-Finish Line: Cyclists in Bangkok get ready to take part in the Bike for Mum cycling event on Sunday morning. His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn will lead a convoy of cyclists on a 43-kilometre ride in Bangkok in honour of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s 83rd birthday. (Photos by Pattarapong Chatpattarasill and Weerawong Wongpreedee)
Crown Prince leads "Bike for Mom" cycling event
Hundreds of thousands of people across the country on Sunday took part in the "Bike for Mom" cycling event to mark Her Majesty the Queen's 83rd birthday.
A ceremony was held in front of the statue of King Rama V to launch the event.
Following the ceremony, the Crown Prince led cyclists in Group A as they took off from the starting point. Cyclists in this group included Gen Prayut, Deputy Defence Minister and army chief Udomdej Sitabutr, Supreme Court president Direk Ingkaninant, Constitutional Court president Nurak Mapraneet, National Legislative Assembly (NLA) chairman Pornpetch Wichitcholachai and Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda.
Thailand is preparing for waves of blue to fill the streets as hundreds of thousands of people across the country turn out for His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn’s much-awaited bicycle ride in honour of Her Majesty the Queen, who turned 83 last Wednesday.
More than 294,000 cyclists have registered for “Bike for Mom”, the first event of its kind.
The highlight will be an appearance by His Royal Highness in Bangkok.
Also in the procession will be Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, his cabinet members and many other VIPs. The event is scheduled to start at 3pm and is expected to end at 7pm.
The blue Royal Flag of Her Majesty the Queen. Blue is the Queen's birthday colour. (Source: Wikipedia)
The actual turn out is expected to be much higher as unregistered cyclists are being urged to take part, either for a short distance or the full ride to the 11th Infantry Regiment in Bang Khen. Huge crowds are also expected to show up along the route...
...In Bangkok, more than 8,000 security officers consisting of military, police and city inspectors will be deployed along the event’s 43km cycling route, said police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri.
Bomb squad teams will be dispatched for security checks along the route from 9am and will do further checks at noon, he said.
Authorities will start clearing vehicles from the roads to be used as cycling routes from 2pm. The roads will be blocked from 3pm and are expected to be reopened for vehicles from 8pm.
The government will also hand out 10,000 copies of the Government Newsletter for the People to the participants. The front page contains an image of the Crown Prince in a riding outfit and safety gear...
In the provinces, provincial governors will lead cyclist processions along designated routes with distances varying in each province.
Two young women on a bicycle built for three.
Big screen TV used to bring widespread parts of the event together where people can see them.
For some, Bike for Mom is an opportunity to express their creativity in many different ways.
For others, Bike for Mom is selfy time ! ! ! :)
Cute girls and guys attract others to the historic ride.
Bike for Mom is also a great father-son activity.
Learn from listening
- actual: real; existing in fact - จริง
- adj (noun): connected with soldiers or the armed forces - ในทางทหาร,เกี่ยวกับทหาร
- appearance (noun): an act of appearing; an act of appearing in public - การปรากฎตัว
- assembly: a group of people who have been elected or chosen in order to discuss issues and make decisions - สภา, สมัชชา
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- block: to stop someone/ something from moving through or along something else - ปิดกั้น, กีดขวาง
- bomb squad: a group of trained military or police who can take care of and dispose bombs when they are found, getting rid of bombs or making bombs harmless การเก็บกู้ระเบิด -
- cabinet member: a member of the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - รัฐมนตรี
- ceremony (noun): a formal public event - งานพิธี
- chairman: the person in charge of a committee, a company, etc - ประธาน
- clear (verb): to move things away from a place or area - ทำให้ว่าง๒, ลบล้าง
- Constitutional Court (noun): the court that decides whether or not laws follow the constitution - ศาลรัฐธรรมนูญ
- crowd: many people gathered at one place - ฝูงชน, กลุ่มคน, มวลชน
- cyclist: a person who rides a bicycle - นักขี่จักรยาน
- deploy: (of soldiers, police, etc.) to put in place ready for action - ส่งทหารตำรวจเข้าประจำการ
- designated: formally chosen - แต่งตั้ง
- dispatch (verb): to send someone or something somewhere - ส่งออกไป, ส่งคนออกไป
- distance (noun): the amount of space between two places or things; being far away - ความห่างไกล
- event: a planned public or social occasion - งานสังคม
- expect (verb): to think or believe that something will happen or that somebody will do something - คาด, คาดว่า, คาดการณ์
- gear: the special clothes or equipment that you use for a particular activity - อุปกรณ์ ในการทำกิจกรรมต่างๆ
- general public: people in general - ประชาชน, สาธารณชน, มหาชน
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- hand out: give something to many people in a group -
- highlight (noun): the most exciting, impressive, or interesting part of an event - จุดเด่น, จุดสำคัญ, เหตุการณ์สำคัญ,
- huge: very large - ใหญ่โต
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- in honour of: to show respect and admiration for somebody - เป็นเกียรติให้กับ
- infantry: soldiers who fight on foot, not on horses or in tanks or other vehicles - ทหารราบ
- inspector : an official whose job is to check that things are in the correct condition or that people are doing what they should - ผู้ตรวจสอบ
- insurgency: an attempt by a group of people to take control of their country or the area where they live by force - การจลาจล
- interior minister: the minister with responsibility over the Royal Thai Police, local administrations, internal security, citizenship, disaster management, land management, issuing national identity cards and public works - รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงมหาดไทย
- launch: starting something - การเริ่มต้น
- legislative: involving the part of government responsible for creating new laws - เกี่ยวข้องกับสภานิติบัญญัติ
- mark: to celebrate something - เพื่อเฉลิมฉลอง
- much-awaited: many people have been waiting for this special event -
- national (adjective): for the whole country - แห่งชาติ, ของชาติ
- outfit (noun): a set of clothes that are worn together - เครื่องแต่งกาย
- participant: someone who takes part in something - ผู้เข้าร่วม
- prepare (verb): put in order, get ready - เตรียม, เตรียมตัว, เตรียมพร้อม, จัดเตรียม, ตระเตรียม
- private sector: businesses and industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - ภาคเอกชน
- procession: a line of people or vehicles moving in a slow and formal way as part of an event - ขบวน(ราช) รถในพิธี
- prone (verb): to likely to experience a particular problem more often than is usual - ที่มีแนวโน้ม
- province: one of many divisions of the government of a country into smaller parts - จังหวัด
- provincial (adj): related to "provinces" , the different parts of a country - ประจำจังหวัด, ส่วนท้องถิ่น
- regiment: a large group of soldiers - กรมทหาร, กองทหาร
- registered (adj): to be on an official list; to be on an official list of names of people who are allowed to do something, e.g., vote, study, sell something, stay in a hotel etc - ซึ่งลงทะเบียนไว้
- rehearsal: a practice for a concert, play, etc. before giving a performance - การซักซ้อม
- representative: someone who has been chosen or elected by a person or group to vote, give opinions, or make decisions for them - ผู้แทน
- route: the roads, paths, waterways, etc., used to go from one place to another - เส้นทาง
- scheduled: planned to happen at a particular time or day - ตามตารางเวลา
- sea (noun): a big body of water - ทะเล
- security: protection; systems providing for safety from attack, harm, or damage - ระบบรักษาความปลอดภัย
- security check: when people are stopped and searched to make sure they do not have guns or weapons -
- security officers (noun): people whose job is to keep the peace and prevent the breaking of laws; soldiers; military; security forces; police - กองกำลังรักษาความปลอดภัย, ตำรวจ, ทหาร
- show up: to arrive at a place - แสดงตัว, ปรากฏตัว
- spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organization - โฆษก
- statue: a human or animal image that is made of stone, wood, metal, etc. - รูปปั้น
- supreme court: the highest court in a country - ศาลฎีกา, ศาลสูงสุด
- take part (verb): to join and be part of some activity; participate as a participant - เข้าร่วม, มีส่วนร่วม
- take to the streets: when large number of people go out and do something on the streets (such as protest) -
- turn out: to be present at an event - เข้าร่วม
- unregistered: not having a license or the correct papers to do something - ไม่ได้ตีทะเบียน
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น
- vary: to be different in different situations - ปรวนแปร, เปลี่ยนแปลง, แตกต่าง
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- VIPs: very important people - บุคคลสำคัญ
- wave: a large number of people moving or arriving somewhere at the same time - คนกลุ่มใหญ่ที่กำลังมุ่งหน้าไปยัง