Thai sea police fought Vietnamese fishermen: What happened?
published : 17 Sep 2015 at 14:39
writer: Jon Fernquest
Thai police say self-defense after hostile Vietnamese fishing boats rammed them, police tied up crew & shot captain, say Vietnamese.
FISHING & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
Thai sea police claim "self defence" after deadly Vietnam fishermen clash
Reuters News agency
Thai marine police said they opened fire on a Vietnamese fishing boat while trying to intercept another vessel in waters near Malaysia last week, a clash Vietnamese state media said killed a fisherman and wounded two others.
Officials from the two countries were quoted on Wednesday giving starkly different accounts of the incident and Vietnamese Communist Party media said it could eventually be addressed at a diplomatic level.
Vietnamese fishing boats, which number an estimated 128,000, have repeatedly clashed with Chinese vessels in the disputed South China Sea, but incidents involving Thai boats are infrequent.
THAI VERSION OF EVENTS
Thai maritime police chief, Major General Grittapol Yeesakhorn, said he was unaware of casualties and police were protecting themselves when their boat was surrounded by hostile Vietnamese vessels trying to ram their boat on Friday.
Police said a Thai officer was aboard a Vietnamese trawler that was stranded with engine trouble before the other Vietnamese boats arrived in support in the incident, 40 km off the southernmost Thai province of Narathiwat, near Malaysia.
MALAYSIAN VIETNAMESE OR THAI WATERS?
"The Vietnamese fishing boat came into Thai waters illegally, police had to arrest them," he said.
Meanwhile, Vietnam's Communist Party-run Nhan Dan online newspaper said hostile incidents took place in overlapping maritime territory between Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand.
Vietnamese state-run VTV showed footage of injured Vietnamese fishermen being treated in a hospital.
VIETNAMESE VERSION OF EVENTS
Citing the border guard force of Vietnam's coastal Kien Giang province, Nhan Dan said Vietnamese vessels fled as a Thai police boat approached, blaring through a radio: "Vietnam vessel stop, if not we will shoot you to death."
Nhan Dan said Thai police gave chase on three separate occasions and those shot were on different boats. One boat was boarded by police, who tied up the crew and stole a gun and equipment.
One captain was shot dead, at which point Thai police released all crew and left the area, it said.
The Vietnamese probe concluded Thai police "were in violation of Vietnamese and international laws", and proposed the issue be addressed at a diplomatic level, Nhan Dan said.
Learn from listening
- aboard (adj.): on a boat or airplane; on board -
- account: a spoken or written report about something that has happened - รายงานข่าว
- address: to deal with a problem - จัดการปัญหา
- approach: moving or coming closer - การเข้าใกล้
- arrest: (of the police or, in this case, soldiers) to take someone under control because they are believed to have committed a crime - จับกุม
- at which point: at this time ... -
- blare: to make a loud and unpleasant noise - ส่งเสียงดัง
- board: to get onto a ship, aircraft, train, or bus - ขึ้น(เรือ รถเมล์ รถไฟ เครื่องบิน)
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- chase: an act of running or driving after somebody/something in order to catch them - การไล่ตาม
- chief: a person with a high rank or the highest rank in a company or an organisation - หัวหน้า, ผู้นำ
- cite: to mention something as an example - กล่าวถึง
- clash: a brief fight between two or more people - การปะทะกันสองฝ่าย
- clash: to fight - ปะทะ
- coastal: of an area of land beside the sea - แนวชายฝั่งทะเล
- conclude: to decide that something is true after looking at all the evidence you have - สรุป
- crew: the people who work on a ship, aircraft, etc. - ลูกเรือ
- diplomatic: relating to relations between countries - เกี่ยวกับการทูต
- disputed: involved in a disagreement - มีความขัดแย้ง
- equipment: the things that are needed for a particular purpose or activity - อุปกรณ์, เครื่องมือ
- estimated: thought to be a particular amount, size, etc. based on a guess or the best information available - ประมาณการ
- eventually: at the end of a period of time or at the end of a process - ในที่สุด
- fled (past of flee): escaped; left an area very quickly because of a danger there - หนีไป
- footage: film of a particular subject or event - ฟิลม์หรือคลิปภาพยนตร์
- guard: a person who protect somebody/something - ผู้คุ้มกัน, คนเฝ้า
- hostile: behaving in a very unfriendly or threatening way towards someone - ไม่เป็นมิตร, เป็นปรปักษ์, ต่อต้าน,มีเจตนาร้าย
- illegally: in a way that is against the law - อย่างผิดกฎหมาย
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- infrequent: not frequent - ไม่บ่อย
- intention: a plan in your mind to do something - ความตั้งใจ เจตนา แผนการ
- intercept: to stop and catch something or someone before they are able to reach a particular place - สกัด
- issue: a problem that needs to be considered - ประเด็น
- level: a position or rank in a scale of size or importance - ระดับ
- marine: relating to the sea and creatures that live in it - เกี่ยวกับทะเล
- maritime: connected with human activity at sea; near the sea or coast - ทางทะเล, เกี่ยวกับทะเล
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- occasion: a time at which something happens - ครั้ง, โอกาส
- officials: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- opened fire: started shooting at something with guns -
- overlapping: (of areas of land) covering parts of each other - ที่คาบเกี่ยวกัน
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- proposed: suggested as an idea for a group to consider - ถูกเสนอ
- protect: to make sure that somebody/something is not harmed, injured, damaged, etc - ป้องกัน,อารักขา,คุ้มกัน
- province: one of many divisions of the government of a country into smaller parts - จังหวัด
- quote: to repeat the words that someone else has said or written - ยกคำพูดมา
- ram: to hit or push something with force - กระแทก
- release: allowing someone to go free - การปล่อยตัว
- repeatedly: happening, said or done many times - อย่างซ้ำๆ
- separate: different; not connected - ซึ่งไม่ต่อเนื่อง, ซึ่งไม่เชื่อมกัน
- shot (noun): shooting a gun one time - การยิง
- southernmost: the most southern, the farthest south that you can go -
- starkly: clear ทนโท่ ชัดเจน -
- state-run: government operated - ที่รัฐเป็นเจ้าของ
- stranded: left somewhere with no way of going anywhere else - ปล่อยเกาะ ถูกทิ้งไว้
- support: to give help, encouragement or sympathy to somebody - สนับสนุน, เป็นกำลังใจ
- surrounded: having something,people, etc. completely around all sides - ถูกล้อมรอบ
- territory: land which is considered as belonging to or connected with a particular country or person - ดินแดน
- tied up: when somebody's arms and legs are tied tightly with a rope or something similar so that they cannot move or escape - มัดด้วยเชือก
- trawler (noun): a boat used for fishing by pulling a large net through the water - เรืออวนลาก
- treat: to provide medical care - รักษา
- troubled (adjective): experiencing many problems - ยุ่งยาก,เป็นทุกข์,เป็นภาระ,วุ่นวาย,น่ารำคาญ,หนักใจ
- unaware: not understanding or realising something - ซึ่งไม่รู้ตัวมาก่อน
- version: a particular form of something which varies slightly from other forms of the same thing - ชุด, เวอร์ชั่น
- vessel: a boat or ship - เรือ
- violation: an action that is against a law, agreement, principle, etc. - การฝ่าฝืน
- warning: an action or statement telling someone of a possible problem or danger - การเตือน
- waters: the area of water in the sea near to a country and belonging to a country -
- wounded: injured, especially where your skin or flesh is damaged, usually seriously - บาดเจ็บ