Movie 'Abat' banned by Culture Ministry
published : 13 Oct 2015 at 10:06
writer: Terry Fredrickson
The film censorship board of the Culture Ministry has banned the screening of Abat, a horror film about a Buddhist novice. Producers say they will edit the film and resubmit it for approval.
Smartphone and tablet users: To use our audio files and see our vocabulary aids, photos and videos, you can change the view to our "desktop site". You will find the link at the bottom of the mobile version page.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
As expected, the movie ban is getting a lot of discussion on both the Bangkok Post and Post Today Facebook pages and, for once, both Thais and non-Thais seem to agree that the movie is worth viewing and reflects genuine problems within the monkhood. Some are urging the producers to appeal the ruling and, if necessary, to fight it in court. Others agree with the decision to re-edit the film.
Buddhist novice film ban
Film to be edited and resubmitted
The film censorship board of the Culture Ministry has banned the screening of Abat, a horror film about a Buddhist novice, less than a day before its premiere and media screening on Tuesday.
The public screening was originally scheduled for Thursday.
Sahamongkolfilm International Co Ltd, the producer of the film, announced the news on its Facebook page on Monday evening.
The film is about a novice who reluctantly entered the monkhood and had a forbidden relationship with a girl. They both discovered a mystery in the temple.
Thai media said the scenes deemed inappropriate include those on romance, drug use, disrespect toward a Buddha image, all by the young novice.
Abat in Thai means punishments for offences against Buddhist rules for monks and novices.
Thai media reported the censorship board, which had invited a monk to join the session, resolved to ban the screening following complaints the film was a disrespect to Buddhism and would not create any value for Thai society.
At this stage, the producer chose not to appeal but will recut and resubmit the film for consideration in a week, Thai media said.
Stars in the film include award-winners Charlie Trairat, who played the novice, and Sorapong Chatree.
Learn from listening
- appeal: to request that a decision by changed - ขออุทธรณ์
- award: a prize or a sum of money that is given to someone following an official decision - รางวัล
- ban: an official statement ordering people not to do, sell or use something - การห้าม
- ban: to officially say that someone is not allowed to do something - ห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- board: a group of people who have the responsibility of managing important business or government activities - คณะกรรมการ
- censorship: removing the parts of a book, film/movie, internet content, etc. that are considered to be offensive, immoral or a political threat - การเซ็นเซอร์, การตรวจสอบสื่อต่างๆ เพื่อตัดส่วนที่ไม่เหมาะสมออก
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- consideration: giving careful thought to something before making a decision - การคิดพิจารณา
- court: the place where legal trials take place and where crimes, etc. are judged - ศาล
- create: to make something new - สร้าง, แต่งขึ้น
- culture (noun): the customs and beliefs, art, way of life and social organization of a particular country or group - วัฒนธรรม
- deemed: considered - เห็นว่า ถือว่า
- discover: to find somebody/something, or learning about something that was not known about before - ค้นพบ
- disrespect: to treat someone or something without respect - ไม่นับถือ,ไม่มีสัมมาคารวะ
- edit: to prepare a text, tape or film for use by correcting mistakes and deciding what will be removed and what will be kept in, etc - ตัดตอ
- forbidden (adj): not allowed - ต้องห้าม, ถูกห้าม
- genuine: real; honest - แท้
- horror: a strong feeling of shock or fear caused by something extremely unpleasant - ความหวาดกลัว, ความขยะแขยง
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- inappropriate: unsuitable - ซึ่งไม่เหมาะสม
- invite: to ask somebody formally to go somewhere or do something - เชิญ
- media: radio, television, newspaper, the Internet, considered as a group - สื่อ
- ministry: a government department that has a particular area of responsibility - กระทรวง
- monkhood: the fact of being a monk - เพศพระภิกษุ, เพศบรรพชิต, ความเป็นพระ
- mystery: a quality that makes someone or something difficult to explain, understand, or get information about, especially when it also makes them seem interesting or exciting - สิ่งที่ไม่สามารถอธิบายได้, ความแปลกประหลาด
- novice: someone who has entered a religious community but is not yet a full member - สามเณร
- offence: a crime or illegal activity for which there is a punishment - การกระทำความผิด
- originally: the situation that existed at the beginning of a particular period or activity, especially before something was changed - อย่างเป็นอันแรก, โดยแรกเริ่ม
- premiere: the first public performance of a play or any other type of entertainment - แสดงรอบปฐมทัศน์
- producer: a person who makes the practical and financial arrangements needed to make a film, play, television or radio programme - ผู้อำนวยการสร้างภาพยนต์, ผู้ผลิต
- public: open to people in general - สาธารณะ
- punishment: an act or a way of punishing somebody - การลงโทษ
- reflect: to show - สะท้อน แสดงถึง
- relationship: a sexual or romantic connection between two people - ความสัมพันธ์
- reluctantly (adv): in a way that involves hesitating before doing something because you do not want to do it or because you are not sure that it is the right thing to do - แสดงอาการไม่เต็มใจ, อิดออด, รีรอ
- resolve: to make a formal decision - ตัดสิน, มีมติ
- resubmit: to submit again - ยื่นใหม่
- romance: a love story - เรื่องรักใคร่, นวนิยายรักใคร่
- ruling (noun): a judgement; a decision by a court of law - คำตัดสิน คำชี้ขาด
- scene: a part of a film/movie, play or book in which the action happens in one place or is of one particular type - ฉาก, ตอน
- schedule: to arrange for something to happen at a particular time - ทำตารางเวลา, ทำกำหนดการ, กำหนดรายการ
- screening: the showing of a film or video to a group of people -
- session: a formal meeting - การชุมนุม ประชุม
- society (noun): people in general, living together in communities - สังคม
- stage: a part of an activity or process or a period of development - ช่วง, ระยะ, ตอน
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น
- value (noun): the quality of being useful or important - ประโยชน์, คุณค่า,คุณประโยชน์
- worth (noun): useful, important or good enough to be a suitable reward for the time spent or the effort made - คุ้มค่า, คุ้มค่ากับความพยายาม