Death toll at 16 as Koppu continues to cause heavy rain (Updated Tues.)
published : 20 Oct 2015 at 10:16
writer: Terry Fredrickson
As of Tuesday morning, Koppu is no longer a typhoon, but the slow-moving storm is still dropping heavy rain, over 500ml in some places. The death toll has risen to at least 16.
SMARTPHONE AND TABLET USERS: To use our audio files and see our vocabulary aids, photos and videos, you can change the view to our "desktop site". You will find the link at the bottom of the mobile version page.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
You can watch the progress of Typhoon Koppu (known as 'Lando' in the Philippines) through regularly updated images from the Japanese weather satellite Himawari 8 provided by the Thai Meteorological Department http://www.sattmet.tmd.go.th/newversion/mergesat.html.
You can also see a wider range of images from the Japanese meteorological service at http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/index.html?area=1&element=0&mode=UTC. (The NW quadrant map clearly shows Typhoon Kuppu). Notice that you can put all the maps in motion through animation.
In this 9am Tuesday image from the Japanese weather satellite Himawari 8, Koppu has clearly lost much of its organisation and wind strength, but it is still causing very heavy rain. Meanwhile Typhoon Champi is still a major storm but is thankfully staying away from major land areas.
Tuesday morning update
Koppu is now below typhoon strength but torrential rains continue over large areas of the northern Philippines. The mountain tourist centre of Baguio has reportedly received over 500ml of rain in the last two days. The rains are predicted to continue for at least two more days, making Koppu one of the most destructive storms ever to hit the Philippines. The death toll stands at 16 and more than 60,000 have been evacuated.
2pm update from DPA
A man looks at the rising water level of the Magat River caused by continuous rains of Typhoon Koppu at Bayombong, Nueva Viscaya, on October 18, 2015. Powerful Typhoon Koppu wrecked houses, tore down trees and unleashed landslides and floods, forcing thousands to flee as it pummelled the northern Philippines Sunday, officials said. AFP PHOTO
Monday morning update
One dead, 23,000 flee as Typhoon Koppu pummels Philippines
Manila, Oct 18, 2015, AFP – A teenager was crushed to death as powerful Typhoon Koppu tore down trees and houses and unleashed landslides and floods across a wide area of the Philippines on Sunday, forcing thousands to flee.
At least eight other people have been reported missing and military and volunteer rescue teams were dispatched to the rice-farming province of Nueva Ecija where rivers burst their banks and flooded several villages, authorities said.
"People are asking for help because the floodwaters are rising. The rescuers cannot penetrate the area as of now," Nigel Lontoc, the assistant civil defence chief for the region, told AFP.
Television footage showed raging brown rivers swallowing up homes and carrying off large debris including tree trunks.
ABS-CBN network showed a photograph of blue-clad police holding onto a rope and wading in chest-deep floodwaters to rescue trapped residents.
The government said more than 23,000 people had already been evacuated from the path of Koppu, which also disrupted ferry services and aviation.
A man is thrown off balance as strong winds caused by Typhoon Koppu blow while he tries to reinforce the roof of his house at the coastal town of Navotas, north of Manila, Philippines Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)
Koppu made landfall before dawn on the remote fishing town of Casiguran, whipping the coast with gusts of up to 210 kilometres (130 miles) an hour for nearly seven hours before moving inland.
"Koppu tore off roofs of homes made of light materials. Rivers overflowed, and the roads to the area are blocked by downed power pylons and trees," Lontoc said.
It later crossed over the Pantabangan Dam in the southern foothills of the Cordillera, the country's largest mountain range, with gusts of 185 kilometres an hour.
A big tree toppled and crushed a house in Manila, killing a 14-year-old boy and injuring four other people, Alexander Pama, head of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Council, told reporters in Manila.
Officials said more people are expected to flee as the now weakened storm makes its way to the northern tip of Luzon, the Asian country's largest island and home to about half its national population of 100 million people.
The authorities warned heavy rains could still trigger flash floods and landslides in the Cordillera, known for its spectacular rice terraces carved on the slopes of towering mountains.
Undersecretary Alexander Pama, head of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) gives a briefing on Typhoon Koppu, locally known as Lando, in suburban Manila on October 17, 2015. Philippine authorities on October 17 warned that a powerful typhoon will likely linger over the country for almost three days, bringing prolonged heavy rain, possible floods and sparking storm surges. AFP PHOTO / Jay DIRECTO
Typhoon Koppu smashes into northern Philippines
Manila, Oct 18, 2015, AFP –Thousands of people fled as powerful Typhoon Koppu hit the northern Philippines early Sunday, officials said, battering coastal towns with powerful winds that forecasters warned could last up to three days.
No casualties have been reported but about 6,500 people were evacuated from their homes and taken to safer ground, and the number was expected to rise as the storm slowly grinds inland across the main island of Luzon, the civil defence office said.
Koppu pounded the remote coastal town of Casiguran with gusts up to 210 kilometres (130 miles) an hour and heavy rain, remaining nearly stationary hours after making landfall there before dawn, the state weather service said.
"It looks likely this deluge will be with us for days," weather forecaster Gladys Saludes told AFP, adding the typhoon was not likely to leave Luzon until Tuesday.
Koppu downed trees and pylons, leaving two cities and 22 towns without power, while landslides and floods cut off 10 roads and eight bridges across the region, National Disaster Risk Reduction Council chief Alexander Pama told reporters.
He said ferry services across the island, home to about half the Asian archipelago's population of 100 million people, were suspended amid rough seas while commercial aviation was also disrupted with 30 flights suspended, two of them on international routes.
ABS-CBN network aired footage of strong winds shaking large trees and rattling rooftops and storefront signage in Baler, a tourist resort about 85 kilometres south of Casiguran.
Pama said communications links had also been cut in many of the affected areas, while the authorities were working to evacuate more people deemed at risk and trying to clear blocked roads so aid could get through.
"I must emphasise that this is just the start. People must remain alert while we try to pick up the pieces in areas already hit," Pama added.
Residents of communities in the typhoon's expected path were hunkering down under darkening skies, said Kate Marshall, part of an advance reconnaissance team of the International Committee of the Red Cross to the region.
The weather service has also warned of storm surges, massive typhoon-generated waves smashing along coastal areas, but Saludes said there had been no reports of these so far.
Although the storm will not directly hit the capital, Manila, the weather service said it would affect a 600-kilometre swathe so that other regions were likely to be affected by strong winds and rain.
The Philippines is hit by an average of 20 storms each year, many of them deadly.
Learn from listening
- adj (noun): connected with soldiers or the armed forces - ในทางทหาร,เกี่ยวกับทหาร
- affect: to produce a change in somebody/something - กระทบ, ส่งผล, มีผลต่อ
- air: to broadcast; to send out a programme on television or radio - ออกอากาศ, กระจายเสียง,กระจายข่าว
- alert: prepared to deal with something dangerous - ตื่นตัว ระวัง
- amid: in the middle of; at the same time as - ท่ามกลาง, ระหว่าง
- animation: the process of a producing film or cartoon using a series of drawings that are shown quickly one after another so that they look as if they are moving - การสร้างภาพเคลื่อนไหวได้
- archipelago: a group of small islands or an area of sea in which there are many small islands - ทะเลบริเวณที่มีหมู่เกาะ
- assistant: a person who helps or supports somebody, usually in their job - ผู้ช่วย
- at risk: in danger - ตกอยู่ในความเสี่ยง
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- average: an amount calculated by adding several amounts together, finding a total, and dividing the total by the number of amounts - เฉลี่ย, ค่าเฉลี่ย
- aviation: the flying of aircraft - การบิน
- batter: to hit something hard many times - ตีติดต่อกัน, โจมตีติดต่อกัน
- battered: badly damaged - เสียหายยับเยิน ป่นปี้
- blocked (adj): having something that prevents something/someone from moving in our out - ตัน, อุดตัน
- briefing: a meeting in which people receive information or instruction - การสรุปแบบสั้นๆ
- burst its banks (of a river): to flood; to have water go over the sides - ล้นตลิ่ง
- capital: the most important town or city of a country, usually where the central government operates from - เมืองหลวง
- capsize: (of a boat or other object) to turn over in the water - คว่ำ, พลิกคว่ำ
- carved: cut out from - แยกออกจาก
- casualty (noun): victim; someone/ something that has been harmed, injured or killed as the result of a bad event such as a disaster or crime (casualties: the number of dead or injured) - เหยื่อผู้เคราะห์ร้าย; จำนวนคนตายหรือได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- chief: a person with a high rank or the highest rank in a company or an organisation - หัวหน้า, ผู้นำ
- choppy (adj): with a lot of small waves; not calm - ที่มีคลื่นมาก
- civil defence: the organisation and training of ordinary people to protect themselves from attack during a war or from natural disasters such as floods or storms - การป้องกันภัยฝ่ายพลเรือน
- clad: wearing a particular type of clothing - กลุ่มคนเสื้อ (แดง)
- coastal: of an area of land beside the sea - แนวชายฝั่งทะเล
- commercial: for business purposes - เกี่ยวกับการค้า
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- continuous: happening or existing for a period of time without interruption - ซึ่งติดต่อกัน, ซึ่งต่อเนื่องกัน
- crush: to press something so hard that it flattens or breaks into very small pieces - กด บีบอัด
- dam: a wall built across a river to stop the water from flowing, especially in order to create a lake or to help to produce electric power - เขื่อน
- dawn: the beginning of the day, when it begins to get light - รุ่งอรุณ, เช้าตรู่
- deadly (adj): causing or likely to cause death - เป็นอันตรายถึงตายได้
- death toll: the number of people killed - ยอดผู้เสียชีวิต
- debris: broken pieces that are left when something large has been destroyed - เศษ ซากปรักหักพัง ซากสิ่งของที่ถูกทำลาย
- deemed: considered - เห็นว่า ถือว่า
- deluge: a sudden flow of a large amount of water; a sudden, very heavy rainfall - น้ำปริมาณมาก ฝนตกหนัก
- destructive: causing great damage or harm - ซึ่งเป็นการทำลาย
- disaster: an unexpected event, such as a very bad accident, a flood or a fire, that kills a lot of people or causes a lot of damage - ภัยพิบัติ ความหายนะ
- dispatch (verb): to send someone or something somewhere - ส่งออกไป, ส่งคนออกไป
- disrupted: interrupted and prevented from continuing smoothly by creating problems - ขัดขวาง
- drown: to sink under water and die - จมน้ำ
- emphasise: to stress something such as an idea, fact or detail; to explain or show why something is important - เน้น
- evacuate: to cause to leave a place because it is not safe - เคลื่อนย้ายออกจาก
- ferry: a boat for taking passengers across an area of water, especially as a regular service - เรือรับส่งข้ามฟาก
- fled (past of flee): escaped; left an area very quickly because of a danger there - หนีไป
- flee: to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger - หนี อพยพ
- flood (noun): a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry - น้ำท่วม
- footage: film or video of a particular subject or event - ฟิลม์หรือคลิปภาพยนตร์ หรือวิดีโอ
- foothill: a low mountain or low hill at the bottom of a larger mountain or range of mountains - เนินที่ตีนเขา
- forecaster: someone whose job is to make a statement about what is likely to happen, especially relating to the weather - นักพยากรณ์(อากาศ)
- generate: to produce - ก่อให้เกิด
- grind: to break or crush something into very small pieces between two hard surfaces - บด, ขยี้
- gust: a sudden strong increase in the amount and speed of wind that is blowing - ลมพัดแรงทันที
- hunker down (verb): to prepare yourself to stay somewhereor do something for a long time; to sit on your heels with your knees bent up in front of you - นั่งขัดสมาธิ, นั่งพับขา
- image: a photograph, painting, or other work of art that represents a person or thing - รูปภาพ
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- injure: to hurt or cause physical harm to a person or animal - ทำให้บาดเจ็บ, ทำร้าย
- inland: in a direction towards the middle of a country; away from the coast - ห่างจากชายฝั่ง, ซึ่งอยู่ภายในประเทศ
- landfall: the place where a storm coming from the sea first hits land - การเข้าหาแผ่นดิน
- landslide: a mass of rock and earth moving suddenly and quickly down a steep slope - แผ่นดินถล่ม
- last: to continue for a particular length of time - กินเวลา
- level: the amount of liquid that there is in a container, which can be seen by how high the liquid is - ระดับ
- light: not heavy - เบา,ไม่หนัก
- likely: probable or expected - น่าจะเป็นไปได้
- linger: to stay somewhere longer than is necessary or required - อ้อยอิ่ง
- links: connections - ความเชื่อมโยงกัน
- locally: in or related to the area that you live, or to the particular area that you are talking about - ในท้องถิ่น, ในประเทศ
- makeshift: using whatever is available and therefore not very good - สำหรับใช้ชั่วคราว, ใช้ประทังไปก่อน
- massive: very large in size, amount or number - ใหญ่โต
- materials (noun): things that are needed in order to do a particular activity - วัสดุ
- meteorological: relating to the study and prediction of the weather - เกี่ยวกับทางอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- missing (adj): lost; not able to find someone/something; not in the usual place because it has been removed or lost - ซึ่งหายไป
- motion: movement - การเคลื่อนไหว
- network: a large system of connected parts, organisations, people, etc. - เครือข่าย
- off balance: unsteady and in danger of falling - เสียหลัก
- overflow: (of a river or body of water) to flood the land next to it - เอ่อล้น, ไหลล้น
- paddle: to use a short pole with a flat wide part at one or both ends to move a small boat through water - พายเรือ
- penetrate: to go into or through something - แทรกซึมเข้าไป, ผ่านเข้าไป, ทะลุเข้าไป
- population: a particular group of people or animals living in a particular area - กลุ่มที่อาศัยอยู่ในที่เดียวกัน
- pound: to hit something/somebody hard many times, especially in a way that makes a lot of noise - ตีกระหน่ำ, โจมตีต่อเนื่อง
- prolonged: lasting a long time - ยืดเวลาต่อไป
- provide: to give someone/ something that they want or need - จัดหาให้, จัดเตรียมไว้ให้
- pylon (noun): a tall metal structure that is used for carrying electricity wires high above the ground - เสาสูงที่ใช้พาดสายไฟฟ้าแรงสูง
- quadrant (noun): a quarter of a circle or of its circumference (= the distance around it) - หนึ่งในสี่ส่วนของวงกลม
- raft: a small light flat boat made of wood, rubber or plastic - แพ เรือแพ
- raging: happening with a lot of force or violence - รุนแรงมาก
- range: a number of different things that are of the same general type - ขอบข่าย, ประเภท
- range (noun): mountain range, many mountains and hills that cover a large area - เทือกเขา, แนวเขา, แนวเขาที่ต่อเนื่องกันไปเป็นพืด
- rattle (verb): to cause something to shake so that it makes short knocking sounds - ทำให้สั่น, ทำให้สั่นสะเทือน, ทำให้ส่งเสียงรัว
- reconnaissance (noun): the activity of getting information about an area, often, but not always, for military purposes, using soldiers, planes, etc - การลาดตระเวน,การตรวจตรา,การสำรวจ,การสอดแนม
- reduction: the process or result of making something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - การลดลง
- region: a large area of land or space, usually without exact limits or borders - ภูมิภาค, ขอบเขต, แถบ, บริเวณ
- reinforce: to make stronger - เสริมให้แข็งแรงขึ้น
- remote: far away from other cities, towns, or people - ที่ห่างไกล
- reporter: someone whose job is to write articles or make broadcasts about events in the news - ผู้สื่อข่าว, นักข่าว
- rescue: saving a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - การช่วยชีวิต
- rescue: to save a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ช่วยชีวิต
- resident: a person who lives in a particular area - ผู้ที่อาศัยในท้องที่
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- rough: strong and unpleasant; not gentle - รุนแรง
- route: the roads, paths, waterways, etc., used to go from one place to another - เส้นทาง
- satellite: an electronic device that is sent into space and moves around the earth or another planet. It is used for communicating by radio, television, etc. and for providing information - ดาวเทียม
- signage (noun): signs, especially ones that give instructions or directions to the public - ป้ายประกาศ
- slope: a straight surface that has one end higher than the other - พื้นที่ลาดเอียง, ที่ลาด
- smash into (verb): to hit something with great force; to collide with somethin g - ตีแตก, ชนอย่างจัง
- spark: to make something happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- spectacular: very exciting to look at; extremely impressive - น่าตื่นเต้น ที่ตระการตา
- spread: to gradually affect or cover a larger area - แพร่กระจาย
- stationary: not moving - ซึ่งหยุดนิ่ง
- storefront (adj): the outside of a shop/store that faces the street -
- stranded: left somewhere with no way of going anywhere else - ปล่อยเกาะ ถูกทิ้งไว้
- suburban: of an area or town near a large city but away from its centre - ชานเมือง
- surge: a sudden increase in something, in this case, the flow of water - การเพิ่มขึ้นอย่างรวดเร็ว
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- swallow: to take somebody/something in or completely cover it so that they cannot be seen or no longer exist separately - ท่วมท้น, ดูดกลืน
- swathe: a large area of land -
- terrace: one of a series of flat areas of ground that are cut into the side of a hill like steps so that crops can be grown there - เนินที่ลาดเอียง, ที่ราบเป็นขั้นลดหลั่น
- topple: to cause to fall - คว่ำลงมา
- torrential: (of rain or moving water) extremely heavy - ซึ่งไหลเชี่ยว
- towering: very high or tall - สูงลิ่ว, สูงตระหง่าน, สูงเสียดเมฆ
- trapped : to be unable to leave a place - ถูกกับดัก
- trigger: to cause - ก่อให้เกิด กระตุ้น
- trunk: the main part of a tree that the branches grow out of - ลำต้น
- typhoon: a tropical storm with strong winds that move in circles - พายุไต้ฝุ่น
- unleash: to release suddenly a strong, uncontrollable and usually destructive force - ปล่อย, ก่อให้เกิดผลรุนแรง
- updated (adjective): when something old is changed to make it newer, such as adding new features -
- volunteer (noun): someone who is not paid for the work that they do; someone who does something willingly without being required to - อาสาสมัคร
- warn: to make someone aware of a possible problem or danger - เตือน
- wave: a raised line of water that moves across the surface of the sea, ocean, etc - คลื่น
- wreck: to destroy or badly damage something - ทำให้เสียหาย, ทำให้หายนะ