Robots, printers, cloud to take jobs from Thais, ADB says
published : 27 Oct 2015 at 16:18
writer: Jon Fernquest
Engineers, graphic designers & printing operators will increasingly be in demand, jobs with routine tasks will be eliminated through technology, especially in manufacturing.
WORK & COMPUTERS
Robots, printers, cloud to take jobs from Thais, ADB says
Bloomberg News & Bangkok Post
Robots, 3D printers and cloud networks will steal jobs from workers in Thailand and low-tech Asian nations, according to a new Asian Development Bank (ADB) study.
About 26% of regular wage jobs in Thailand, 21% in Indonesia and 20% in the Philippines are at high risk of disappearing as technology displaces workers, according to the ADB's annual Key Indicators for Asia and the Pacific report released Tuesday (download free report here).
For people earning temporary wages or who are informally self-employed, the estimates would be two to three times higher.
NEED FOR HIGH QUALITY EDUCATION
"Economies that invest in providing high-quality education will likely to be the least affected by disruptive innovations -- and will be better placed to exploit them," the ADB said in the report.
Education is a key stumbling block in Thailand, where the ADB says "underqualification" for manufacturing jobs increasingly is common. Such also is the case in Cambodia and Indonesia, the bank said.
"In some occupations and industries, having a technical qualification is more critical than others," the report explained. "Using labour force survey data, our analysis of Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines suggests that it is high-skilled and a small set of middle-skilled routine occupations where specific technical skills are really necessary."
JOBS WITH INCREASING DEMAND
Engineers, graphic designers, and printing operators are among workers that increasingly will be in demand.
Jobs with people performing routine tasks will largely be eliminated through technology with manufacturing jobs especially at risk, the report said.
Thailand's rivals in Asia are boosting investment in technology to catch up with advanced countries like Singapore and South Korea.
In India and the Philippines, robots and automation are invigorating once-sleepy factories, while China is jumping into factory automation and building computerised controls needed to make high-precision goods like iPhones or cars.
Employees assemble the underbody of a Toyota Motor Corp Fortuner sport-utility vehicle on the production line at the company's plant in Ban Pho, Chachoengsao province. The Asian Development Bank warned that technology likely will supplant workers doing simple tasks in Thailand. (Bloomberg photo)
CLOUD COMPUTING & FLEXIBLE LABOUR MARKETS
Cloud computing systems, for example, allow "highly skilled workers in developing economies to market their skills abroad and obtain a higher wage premium without leaving their home countries," the bank said.
Cloud computing & 3D printing in Thailand and Southeast Asia is still in its early stages (nascent), but these technologies can: 1. reduce production costs, and 2. move production closer to customers, in places where the product is in demand.
Developing Asia must ensure that it has an educational system that can produce a critical mass of workers with the latest technology skills.
Learn from listening
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- advanced (adj): having the most modern and recently developed ideas, methods, etc - ก้าวหน้า, สมัยใหม่
- analysis: the detailed study or examination of something in order to understand more about it; the result of the study - การวิเคราะห์
- annual: happening every year - ทุกๆปีด, ประจำปี
- at risk: in danger - ตกอยู่ในความเสี่ยง
- automation (noun): a system that uses computers and machines to do things and do work instead of people - การนำเครื่องจักรมาใช้แทนคนในการทำงาน
- boost: to increase; to strengthen - เพิ่ม; ทำให้มีกำลังมากขึ้น
- case: a particular situation or a situation of a particular type - กรณี, เหตุการณ์, สถานการณ์
- catch up: to go faster and reach same point as someone who is ahead of you, in a race or competition -
- cloud: a way of using computers in which data and software are stored mainly on a central computer, to which users have access over the Internet - คลาวด์
- common: ordinary; not unusual or special - ที่เกิดขึ้นทุกวัน, ธรรมดา
- critical: extremely important because a future situation will be affected by it - สำคัญยิ่ง
- data: facts or information, especially when examined and used to find out things or to make decisions - ข้อมูล, ตัวเลข, สถิติ
- disappear: to no longer exist; to no longer be in use - หายไป, สาบสูญ, สูญหาย
- displace: to move something from its usual position - ทำให้เคลื่อนออก
- disruptive: causing difficulties that interrupt something or prevent it from functioning normally - ที่แตกแยก
- eliminate: to get rid of completely - กำจัดหรือขจัดให้หมดไป
- estimate: an amount that you guess or calculate using the information available - ประมาณการ
- exploit: to use for your own benefit - หาประโยชน์จาก
- flexible: able to change to suit new conditions or situations - เปลี่ยนแปลงได้,แก้ได้
- in demand: wanted by many people - เป็นที่ต้องการตัวของหลาย ๆ คน
- indicator: something that shows what a situation is like - เครื่องชี้บอก, เครื่องชี้นำ
- informal (adj.): not official or recognized by government; lacking formal organization - ไม่เป็นทางการ
- informally: not officially - ไม่เป็นทางการ
- innovation: the introduction of new things, ideas or ways of doing something; a new idea, way of doing something, etc. that has been introduced or discovered - นวัตกรรม, การคิดขึ้นใหม่, สิ่งที่นำเข้ามาใหม่
- invest: to spend money on something in order to make it better or more successful - ลงทุน
- investment (noun): the act of investing money in something - การลงทุน
- key: very important - ที่สำคัญ
- labour force: all the people who work for a particular company, organization, etc. - แรงงาน, คนทำงาน
- latest (adj): newest; most recent - ] ล่าสุด, See also: ทันสมัยที่สุด, เกิดหลังสุด
- manufacturing (noun): making and producing a product - การผลิต
- nascent (adjective): just starting or beginning now, being born or starting to exist now - พึ่งเริ่มใหม่, ยังใหม่อยู่, พึ่งเริ่ม
- nation: a country considered as a group of people with the same language, culture and history, who live in a particular area under one government; all the people in a country - ประเทศ, คนในประเทศ
- necessary (adj.): essential, needful, something that you must do or have - จำเป็น, ซึ่งเลี่ยงไม่ได้, ซึ่งเป็นที่ต้องการ, สำคัญ
- occupation: a job - อาชีพ
- perform (verb): to do what is required - ปฏิบัติหน้าที่
- precision: the quality of being very accurate and exact - ความแม่นยำ
- premium: of higher quality or more expensive than other similar things - ที่มีคุณภาพสูง, พรีเมี่ยม
- production: the process of making goods or materials, especially large quantities - การผลิต
- production line: assembly line; a line of workers and machines in a factory, along which a product passes, having parts made, put together or checked at each stage until the product is finished - แนวประกอบชิ้นส่วนของเครื่องในโรงงาน
- qualification: reaching the standard necessary to do a job or take part in the final rounds of a competition - คุณสมบัติที่กำหนดไว้, การเข้ารอบสุดท้าย
- regular (adj): normal; following a pattern, especially with the same time and space in between each thing and the next - ปกติ, เป็นประจำ, เสมอๆ
- release: the act of making something available to the public - การนำออกแสดง, การออกวางจำหน่าย
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- rivals: opponents; people you are fighting or competing against - คู่แข่ง, คู่ต่อสู้
- routine: ordinary and not interesting or special; usual and not done for any special reason - ตามปกติ
- routine: the normal order and way in which you regularly do things - กิจวัตรประจำ
- self-: does it to them self, not others -
- self-employed: working for yourself, for your own small business; not working for another person's company -
- skill: the ability to do something well, usually as a result of experience and training - ฝีมือ, ทักษะ
- skilled: having enough ability, experience and knowledge to be able to do something well - มีทักษะ,
- specific: involving or relating to only one particular thing or type of thing - เฉพาะเจาะจง, โดยเฉพาะ
- steal: to take something from a person, shop/store, etc. without permission and without intending to return it or pay for it - ขโมย
- study: a project that looks at some subject in great detail and produces a report to share the information - งานวิจัย
- stumbling block: an obstacle; a difficulty or problem that prevents you from achieving something - อุปสรรค ขวากหนาม
- suggest: to show that something is possibly true - ชวนคิด
- supplant (noun): to take the place of somebody/something (especially somebody/something older or less modern) - เข้าแทนที่, แย่งที่
- survey: to ask a large number of people questions to find out their opinions - สำรวจ
- task: something that you have to do - หน้าที่
- task: something that you have to do - งาน, หน้าที่; ภารกิจ
- technical: connected with the skills needed for a particular job, sport, art, etc; connected with practical methods for doing something - ในทางเทคนิค
- temporary: for a limited time; not permanent - ชั่วคราว
- vehicle: a machine that you travel in or on, especially one with an engine that travels on roads, e.g., a car, bus, van, truck, etc. - ยานพาหนะ
- wage: an amount of money that you earn for working, usually according to how many hours or days you work each week or month - ค่าจ้าง