Illegal foreign models face possible jail terms
The Department of Employment (DOE) is vowing to take legal action, including jail terms, against foreigners who work illegally as models in the country.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Foreigners targeted in 'model trafficking'
The Department of Employment (DOE) is vowing to take legal action against foreigners who work illegally as models in the country.
The action comes following a complaint by the Thai Modeling Industry and Agencies Association, saying a number of foreign models, both men and women, disguise themselves as tourists and take modelling jobs in Thailand during their stays.
Arak Prommanee, a director-general of the DOE, said the association complained foreign models were taking jobs from Thais.
They were also avoiding paying taxes as they do not obtain work permits.
The foreigners, mostly from Brazil, Israel, the Ukraine and other European countries, are hired by Thai modelling firms.
They sometimes pay foreigners more than 50,000 baht for an hour of shooting.
Mr Arak said models caught working here could face a jail term of up to five years or a fine of 2,000-100,000 baht or both.
Agencies which are found to be employing foreign models illegally will be fined 10,000-100,000 baht for each worker.
Some foreign embassies in Thailand had made inquiries as some of their citizens, working illegally as models in Thailand, were aged under 18.
Their families were afraid there was a risk they could be lured into criminal activities.
However, he did not say whether the government will ask for cooperation from the embassies in discouraging their citizens from taking such jobs.
Mr Arak said the department will work with the association to campaign against hiring foreigners as models. It will also raise public awareness about the need to run a modeling business legally.
Learn from listening
- agency (noun): a company or organisation that arranges for some service or workers to be provided to other companies and people - บริษัทตัวแทน, สำนักงานตัวแทน, หน่วยงานบริการ
- association: an official group of people who have joined together for a particular purpose - สมาคม
- avoid: to stay away from; to not use - หลีกเลี่ยง
- awareness: knowing that something exists, or having knowledge or experience of a particular thing - การรับรู้, การทราบ, ความตระหนัก
- campaign: to try to achieve political or social change by persuading other people or the government to do something - รณรงค์
- citizen: someone who has the right to live permanently in a particular country - พลเมือง
- complaint: when someone says that something is wrong or not satisfactory - การร้องเรียน
- cooperation: a situation in which people or organisations work together to achieve a result that will benefit all of them - การร่วมมือกัน
- criminal: illegal; against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- director-general: the head of a large organisation, especially a public organisation - อธิบดี
- discourage: to make someone feel like something should not be done - ทำให้ไม่อยาก (ทำสิ่งใดสิ่งหนึ่ง)
- disguised: wearing or doing something to change the way that you look so that people will not recognise you - ปลอมตัว, เลียนแบบ
- embassy: a group of officials who represent their government in a foreign country - สถานทูต
- employ: to have someone work or do a job for you and pay them for it - ว่าจ้าง, จ้าง
- employment (noun): when a person has work that earns them money - การจ้างงาน, การงาน
- face: to (likely or possibly) have to deal with a problem - เผชิญ, พบ, เจอ
- fine: to be required to pay an amount of money because you have broken the law - ปรับเป็นเงิน
- firm: a business or company - บริษัท
- hire: to pay someone to work for you - จ้าง
- illegally: in a way that is against the law - อย่างผิดกฎหมาย
- industry: the people and activities involved in producing a particular thing, or in providing a particular service; the production of goods from raw materials, especially in factories - อุตสาหกรรม
- inquiry: the process of asking questions - การสอบถาม
- jail term: the length of time a person is required to spend in jail -
- legal: relating to the law - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- legally: correct according to the law - ตามกฎหมาย
- lure: to attract someone/something - ล่อใจ, หลอกล่อ, ยั่วยวน
- obtain: to get something that you want or need, especially by going through a process that is difficult - ได้มา, ได้รับ
- raise: to increase the amount or level of something - เพิ่ม, ทำให้สูงขึ้น, ส่งเสริม, ยกระดับ
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- vow: to make a formal and serious promise to do something or to promise what you say is true - สาบาน, ปฏิญาณ
- work permit (noun): the official permission for a foreigner to work in a country - ใบอนุญาตทำงาน