Thai-owned Leicester beat Chelsea, reclaim top spot
Leicester City and King Power are still on top of the Premier League as the season nears the half-way point, Jose Mourinho's Chelsea the latest victim, beaten 2-1.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
LEICESTER, AFP – Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez fired Leicester back to the top of the Premier League and extended Chelsea's miserable season with a 2-1 victory on Monday that heaped renewed pressure on Jose Mourinho.
Mahrez created Vardy's 15th goal of the season with a wonderful cross on 34 minutes.
Then the Algeria winger scored superbly on 48 minutes to take his own tally to 12 and double the Foxes' lead as their fairytale season continued.
Claudio Ranieri's side have lost just once all season and, although Chelsea substitute Loic Remy got one back in the closing stages, the hosts held on for a win that put them two points clear of second-placed Arsenal and condemned beleaguered Blues boss Mourinho to a ninth defeat in 16 league games.
Mourinho's men remarkably sit just one point above the relegation zone and, a week after their shock home loss to Bournemouth, inevitably there will be more speculation that the Portuguese coach faces the sack.
To add to Mourinho's problems, Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard limped down the tunnel looking frustrated after his manager had asked him to continue following an injury.
In contrast, Vardy's amazing season continued as the England striker netted just one game after his record-breaking run of 11 successive league matches with a goal came to an end.
Leicester City's English striker Jamie Vardy (2R) scores past Chelsea's Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois. AFP PHOTO/ PAUL ELLIS
Leicester started brightly and Mahrez tricked his way past Cesar Azpilicueta early on to create a shooting chance.
He side-stepped John Terry on the edge of the area but his effort gave Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois a comfortable save.
There was another scare for the reigning champions when Courtois dropped an inswinging free-kick by Christian Fuchs, but Robert Huth could not react quickly enough to pounce on the loose ball.
Then Leicester captain Wes Morgan had to make a brave block from a shot by Hazard after Chelsea caught the home side napping in defence.
Leicester suffered a blow when influential midfielder Danny Drinkwater was forced to limp off on 17 minutes to be replaced by Andy King, but the hosts continued to make the running.
Mahrez tried his luck again from the edge of the box in the 19th minute after Chelsea struggled to clear a long throw-in by Fuchs, but again the Algerian's shot was straight at Courtois.
The visitors then suffered an injury setback of their own when Hazard went down after colliding with both Vardy and Leonardo Ulloa.
The Belgian returned to the field under instruction from Mourinho, but turned and headed down the tunnel just a few seconds later, signalling that he could not play on.
That came on 31 minutes and Leicester led just three minutes later as their two most valuable players combined.
Mahrez crossed from the right and Vardy crept between Terry and Kurt Zouma before volleying past Courtois.
Marc Albrighton was the next to test Courtois with a long-range effort which the keeper grasped gratefully.
But Mahrez doubled Leicester's lead three minutes into the second half with a moment of brilliance.
He collected Albrighton's curling, crossfield pass and wrong-footed Azpilicueta with some wonderful footwork before bending a sublime shot past Courtois into the far corner from 12 yards.
Chelsea finally began to apply sustained pressure around the hour-mark and Leicester defender Danny Simpson had to make a crucial double-block in the goalmouth to deny Diego Costa and Pedro.
Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel made a superb save with his legs to deny Costa in a one-on-one before Fuchs made a timely goal-line clearance from a corner to deny Branislav Ivanovic.
Chelsea maintained the pressure on the home goal and finally reduced the deficit with 13 minutes remaining.
Pedro burst down the left and crossed for fellow substitute Remy to head home, but it was too little too late as Leicester pushed Mourinho a step closer to the axe.
Learn from listening
- apply: to make use of something - นำมาใช้
- axe (noun): forcing someone to leave their job - การปลดออกจากตำแหน่ง
- beleaguered: having a lot of problems or criticism to deal with - เต็มไปด้วยปัญหา
- bend: to cause something to curve - ทำให้โค้ง
- block (noun): stopping someone/ something from moving through or along something else - การปิดกั้น, การกีดขวาง
- blow: a sudden event which has damaging effects on somebody/something - การโจมตี, การชก,การต่อย
- brightly: very light and shiny - สว่างขึ้น
- brilliance: high intelligence, skill or cleverness - ความหลักแหลม, ความฉลาด
- burst: to move or break into a place very suddenly - พังเข้า, รีบเข้า
- clearance: (in football) kicking (or hitting) the ball away from the goal to a safe area - การเตะออกไป
- collide: (especially of moving objects) to hit something violently - ชน,กระแทก
- combined: joint; done together; belonging to or shared between two or more people - ที่ร่วมกัน, ร่วมมือกัน
- condemn: to force somebody to accept a difficult or unpleasant situation - ทำให้ตกอยู่ในสภาพ
- contrast: a noticeable difference - ความแตกต่าง
- create: to make something new - สร้าง, แต่งขึ้น
- creep (past form: crept) (verb): to move or develop very slowly; to move quietly and secretly - เคลื่อนที่อย่างช้าๆ
- cross: (in football) the action of kicking the ball from one side of the field to someone in the middle or on the other side - เตะบอลขวางสนาม
- crucial (adj): extremely important because it effects the result of something - สำคัญยิ่ง
- curling: moving in a curling or twisting way - เตะ)โค้ง
- defeat: a loss - ความพ่ายแพ้
- defence: protecting somebody/something from attack - การป้องกัน, การต้าน, การ พิทักษ์
- defender: a player whose job is to stop the other team scoring in a game such as football - ผู้ป้องกัน
- deficit: the amount by which something is too small or smaller or less than something else - จำนวนที่น้อยกว่า, จำนวนที่ขาด
- deny: to not allow someone to have or do something - ไม่ยอมรับ, ปฏิเสธ
- double: to become twice as big, twice as much or twice as many - เพิ่มเป็นสองเท่า
- effort: an attempt to do something - ความพยายาม
- extended: made longer or larger - ซึ่งยาวออกไป, ซึ่งกว้างออกไป, ซึ่งยืดออกไป
- fairytale (adj): of a traditional children’s story in which magic things happen - เทพนิยาย
- fellow: used for talking about people who are similar to you or are in the same situation - ซึ่งอยู่ในสภาพเดียวกัน
- fire: to shoot a weapon - ยิง
- footwork (noun): the way in which a person moves their feet when playing a sport or dancing - การใช้เท้าในการกีฬา
- frustrated: feeling annoyed and impatient because you are prevented from achieving something - ผิดหวัง,ท้อแท้ใจมาก, หงุดหงิดใจ
- gesture (verb): to move your hands, head, face, etc. as a way of expressing what you mean or want - แสดงท่าทาง
- goalmouth (noun): the area directly in front of a goal - หน้าประตู (กีฬา), ปากประตู
- grasp (verb): to catch or hold tightly - จับ, คว้า
- grateful: a feeling that you want thank someone because they have given you something or done something for you - สำนึกบุญคุณ
- heap: to give someone a lot of something, e.g., praise, blame, pressure - ให้ (บางสิ่ง) อย่างมากกับ
- host: a country, city, group, person, etc. which provides the space and other things necessary for a special event - เจ้าภาพ
- inevitably: unavoidable; certain to happen - ซึ่งหลีกเลี่ยงไม่ได้
- influential: of a person or group who has the power to affect a situation - มีอิทธิพล
- injury (noun): physical damage done to a person or a part of their body - อาการบาดเจ็บ
- limp (verb): to walk/move with difficulty because of an injured leg or foot or serious damage of some type - เคลื่อนไหวอย่างกระโผลกกระเผล
- long-range: not close; from a long distance - ระยะไกล
- loose: not under control - ไม่ถูกควบคุม
- maintain (verb): to make something continue at the same level, standard, etc. - ดำเนินต่อเนื่อง, คงเอาไว้
- midfielder (noun): a football player whose position is mainly in the central part of a sports field - ผู้เล่นกองกลาง
- miserable: having little value or quality - แย่
- misery: something that causes people to suffer or be unhappy - ความทุกข์ยาก, ความยากแค้น, ความเดือดร้อน
- napping (noun): sleeping for a short time; not paying attention - การหลับระยะสั้นๆ, การหลับนก, การงีบ
- net (verb): (in football) to score a goal, i.e., to put the ball in the net -
- pounce: to quickly jump on or hold someone or something - มีปฎิกิริยาอย่างรวดเร็ว, กระโจน
- pressure: a force pressing against something - ความกดดัน
- pressure: a worried feeling that you get when you have to deal with a difficult or complicated situation - ความกดดัน
- react: to respond as a result of something that happens - มีปฏิกิริยาตอบโต้
- reclaim: to take back something that was yours - เรียกกลับคืน, เอากลับ
- reduce: to make something smaller or less in amount, size, importance etc - ลดลง
- reigning champions: the current champions - แชมป์ปัจจุบัน
- relegation: moving someone or something to a less important position, in this case, moving a team to a lower division - การลดตำแหน่ง, ลดขั้น
- remarkably: in a way that is unusual and surprises or impresses you - อย่างน่าอัศจรรย์ใจ
- renewed (adj): happening again with increased interest or strength - เริ่มใหม่
- replace: to put a new person or thing in the place of someone or something - แทน
- sack (noun): forcing someone to leave their job - การปลดออกจากตำแหน่ง
- scare: a situation that makes people suddenly feel worried or frightened about something - ความหวาดกลัว, ความตื่นตระหนก
- season (noun): sports season; the time during the year that teams play a sport, competing for the top spot in a sports league - ฤดูกาล
- setback: something that happens which delays or prevents a process from advancing - การหยุดยั้งการก้าวหน้า,ความล้มเหลว,การถอยหลัง
- shock: a strong feeling of surprise as a result of something happening, especially something unpleasant; the event that causes this feeling - ช็อค, ความสะดุ้ง, อาการช็อค
- side-step (verb): to move to the side to get past someone - หลีกเลี่ยง
- signal: to be a sign that something exists or is likely to happen - ส่งสัญญาณ
- speculation: ideas or discussion about what might happen or has happened or why something has happened without having complete information - การคาดการณ์
- spot (noun): a position or ranking - อันดับ
- stage: a part of an activity or process or a period of development - ช่วง, ระยะ, ตอน
- striker: a football player whose job is to stay near the opponent’s goal and to score goals - ศูนย์หน้าตัวเป้า
- struggle: to try hard to do something that you find very difficult - พยายาม, ประสบปัญหา, ต่อสู้กับปัญหา
- sublime: of very high quality and causing great admiration - ล้ำเลิศ, เป็นเลิศ, ยิ่งยวด
- substitute: a player who replaces another member of his or her team during a match - ตัวสำรอง
- successive: following immediately one after the other - ต่อเนื่องกัน, ตามลำดับ
- suffer: to be badly affected by a very difficult or unpleasant situation - ประสบความลำบาก
- superb: of the highest quality - ยอดเยีี่ยม
- superbly: of the highest quality - อย่างยอดเยีี่ยม
- sustained: continuing at the same level - ต่อเนื่อง
- tally: a record or count of a number of items - การบันทึกจำนวน
- the area: the penalty box; the area in front of the goal - เขตโทษ
- trick (verb): to make somebody believe something which is not true, especially in order to cheat them; to do something clever to fool someone - หลอกลวง
- tunnel: an underground passage - อุโมงค์
- valuable: very useful or important - มีความหมาย, สำคัญ, มีราคา
- volley: kicking (or hitting) the ball before it touches the ground - ตีวอล์เลย์
- winger (noun): one of the players in a game such as football, rugby, or hockey who play mainly down the right or left side of the field - นักฟุตบอลหรือนักรักบี้ที่เล่นในตำแหน่งปีก
- wrong-foot (verb): to put somebody in a difficult or embarrassing situation by doing something that they do not expect -
- zone: an area that has an important or typical feature; an area where a particular activity is allowed or not allowed - พื้นที่, บริเวณ, เขต