Fried scorpion anyone?
Scorpions (popular as health food & manliness-enhancer in China) latest alternative to farming rice during long drought in Thailand.
Fried scorpion anyone?
Scorpions are, however, a high-profile street food in China (see video at bottom).
A long drought in Thailand has sent Thai farmers searching for alternatives to water - intensive rice-growing, so the supply of scorpions in Bangkok food carts may soon skyrocket, if these enthusiastic farmers turned scorpion foragers are any indication.
There's a drought now. We can't do much. Water is scarce and tap water is running slowly.
Check out the scorpions here. They look like this. I'll dig some up.
We dig up scorpions for food. We fry the scorpions and sell them because there is no work available now.
You better come out! See?
These scorpions are poisonous but they also have health benefits.
It has a stimulant effect. It's edible. You can sell them and make a good product out of them.
I learned this from my parents and my grandparents. This has been around for a long time.
If I had a job right now, I wouldn't be digging up scorpions. It gives me an income.
You just fry them with normal cooking oil.
Sprinkle some salt on them, and they're ready.
One (uncooked) scorpion is sold for five baht. Three fried ones cost 20 baht.
I don't think eating scorpions is strange, since I've been doing this for so long.
But you might think differently because you haven't seen this before.
Typical pushcart street food vendor as found on Bangkok streets selling insects as food.
Myanmar vendor of edible insects.
Learn from listening
- a must: something that must happen or must exist -
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- alternative: another choice - ทางเลือก, ตัวเลือก
- available: that you can get, use, find or buy - มีอยู่, หาได้
- been around: existed or was being used -
- benefit: an advantage you get from a situation; a helpful or good effect, or something intended to help - ผลประโยชน์, ข้อได้เปรียบ, ผลดี
- check out: look at something to see what it is and whether they are interested in it -
- common: ordinary; not unusual or special - ที่เกิดขึ้นทุกวัน, ธรรมดา
- delicious: having a very good taste - อร่อย
- drought (noun): a long period of time when there is little or no rain - ฝนแล้ง, ภัยแล้ง, ความแห้งแล้ง)
- edible: fit or suitable to be eaten; not poisonous - ซึ่งกินได้
- effect: a change that somebody/something causes in somebody/something else; a result - ผลกระทบ
- enthusiastic: showing a feeling of energetic interest in a particular subject or activity and an eagerness to be involved in it - กระตือรือร้น
- forager: people who go from place to place searching, especially for food ออกหาอาหาร -
- fragrant: having a pleasant smell - หอม, หอมหวน, หอมหวาน
- fry (verb): to cook something in hot fat or oil; to be cooked in hot fat or oil - ทอด (อาหาร), ทอดน้ำมัน
- grandparents (noun): the fathers or mothers of your father or mother - ปู่ ย่า ตา ยาย
- grasshopper (noun): an insect with long back legs, that can jump very high and that makes a sound with its legs - ตั๊กแตน
- high-profile: receiving a lot of attention from the public - ที่มีชื่อ ที่ได้รับความสนใจจากสาธารณชน
- income: money that someone gets from working or from investing money - รายได้
- indicate: to show that something is true, exists or will happen - แสดง, ทำให้รู้
- indication: a sign that something happened, is true or exists - เครื่องบ่งชี้
- intensive: using a lot of something -
- normal (adj.): typical, usual or ordinary; what you would expect - ปกติ, ภาวะปกติ
- parent: a person's father or mother - พ่อหรือแม่
- poisonous (adj): causing death or illness if swallowed or absorbed into the body - เป็นพิษ
- ready-to-eat: food prepared in advance so that you can use/eat it immediately สำเร็จรูป -
- scarce: not easy to find or get - ขาดแคลน, ไม่เพียงพอ, หายาก
- scorpion (noun): a small creature like an insect with eight legs, two front claws (= curved and pointed arms) and a long tail that curves over its back and can give a poisonous sting.Scorpions live in hot countries. - แมงป่อง
- sexual: connected with a person's sexual desires - เรื่องทางเพศ, ลักษณะทางเพศ
- skyrocket: to increase very quickly - ลอยขึ้นสูงอย่างฉับพลัน
- smelly: stinks; has a very bad smell - เหม็นเน่า
- sprinkle: to shake small amounts of a liquid or a substance over the surface of something - โปรย
- stimulant: a substance that makes a part of your body work faster or better; a substance that makes you feel more awake when you eat it or drink it - สารกระตุ้น
- stimulate: to make something develop or become more active; to encourage something - กระตุ้น, ส่งเสริม
- strange: unusual or surprising, especially in a way that is difficult to understand - แปลก
- supply (noun): an amount or quantity of something that is available to buy or use - อุปทาน
- tap water: water that is sent through pipes into building - น้ำประปา
- taste (noun): what a person likes or prefers - รสนิยม