Hi-tech cheating: Medical school entrance exam for 800,000 baht
Three rich kids were to pay 800,000 baht each, if they passed medical school entrance exam with high-tech cheating system.
EDUCATION & CHEATING
Rangsit University on Sunday cancelled the university entrance exams to its College of Medicine and two other faculties after three students were found to have used hi-tech devices provided by a gang to cheat.
The university told more than 3,000 students who sat exams at the College of Medicine and the faculties of Dental Medicine and Pharmacy, held on Saturday and Sunday, to appear for a re-test on May 31 and June 1 without charge, by making an announcement on its website.
HIGH-TECH CHEATING SYSTEM AT TUTORING SCHOOL
The reason given for the exam cancellation was “cheating carried out by a well-organised syndicate and the use of electronic devices” in the May 7-8 tests.
Each of the three cheaters wore a “smart watch” provided by a private tutoring institute located near the campus to receive answers from the tutoring school.
The answers were then sent to the three students who were wearing smart watches.
Meaning that, there could very well be cases in the past when the cheating technology was used and went undetected, therefore successfullly achieving its objective.
SUSPICIONS LEAD TO EXPOSURE OF SCAM
The scam was exposed after university staff (exam proctors) became suspicious when the three proxies left the exam room at the same time immediately after the 45-minute requirement.
The names of the individuals and the private institute have not been disclosed yet.
Mr Nares said the three had confessed to being paid 6,000 baht each for the job and the university had filed a charge against them with the police.
800,000 BAHT TO TUTORING SCHOOL, IF TESTTAKER PASSES EXAM
He was required to pay another 800,000 baht if the school successfully helped him to pass the exam.
The student said he approached the school after reading its advertisement which guaranteed a 100% pass in the entrance exams to RSU medicine-related faculties.
“Now we are trying to persuade the other two kids who have yet to confess to give us information so that we can take [legal] action against that tutoring academy to the fullest extent,” Mr Nares said.
ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN
“This is an unacceptable act in academic circles. We will take both civil and criminal action because there were many students who had paid a great deal of money to attend the May 7-8 exams," he said.
The university might in future only allow students being tested to take pencils into the exam room, while glasses will be carefully checked.
Learn from listening
- academic: relating to education - เชิงวิชาการ
- academy: an organisation intended to protect and develop an art, science, language, etc., or a school which teaches a particular subject or trains people for a particular job - สถานศึกษา, สถาบันการศึกษา, วิทยาลัย(เฉพาะด้าน)
- according to (prep): as stated or reported by somebody/something - ตามคำบอกเล่า, ตามรายงาน
- admitted (verb): agreed that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- advertisement (noun): advert; a short piece of video or words with pictures that makes people interesting in buying some product - การโฆษณา
- announcement: a spoken or written statement that informs people about something - การประกาศ
- appear: to go to a place and be seen there - ปรากฏตัว
- applicant: someone who applies for something, such as a job or a loan of money - ผู้สมัคร,ผู้แจ้งความจำนง,ผู้ขอ
- approach: to speak to somebody about something, especially to ask them for something or to offer to do something - เข้าหา
- campus (noun): the buildings of a university, college or business and the land around them - พื้นที่ที่เป็นที่ตั้งของมหาวิทยาลัย
- cancel (verb): to decide to stop something that has been arranged from taking place - ยกเลิก
- cancellation: a decision to stop something that has been arranged from taking place - การยกเลิก
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- cheat: a person who cheats (acts in a dishonest way in order to gain an advantage) - คนโกง, คนหลอกลวง
- cheater: a person who cheats -
- cheating (noun): acting in a dishonest way in order to gain an advantage คนโกง, คนหลอกลวง - การโกง
- circle: a group of people who are connected because they have the same interests, jobs, etc - หมู่คณะ
- cited: mentioned as an example, explanation or proof of something else - อ้าง, กล่าวอ้าง
- civil: of a case filed a court that deals with non-criminal matters, especially complaints made by people against other people or organisations - คดีที่ยื่นฟ้องต่อศาลแพ่ง
- confess (verb): to admit that you have committed a crime - สารภาพผิด
- correct: to make something right or accurate by changing it or removing mistakes - แก้ไขให้ถูกต้อง
- criminal: someone who has committed a crime, i.e., someone who has carried out an illegal activity or action - ผู้ที่ทำผิดกฎหมาย
- dental (adj): related to the teeth and gums - เกี่ยวกับฟัน
- deposit: a sum of money which is given in advance as part of a total payment for something - เงินมัดจำ
- device (noun): a machine or piece of equipment that does a particular job - อุปกรณ์ เครื่องมือ เครื่องจักร
- disclose: to make known to the public - เปิดเผยต่อสาธารณะ
- entrance (noun): the act of entering, the act of becoming involved in something - การเข้า
- exam: a test at school - การสอบ, การทดสอบ
- exit: to leave - ออกจาก
- exposed: made known; uncovered - เปิดเผยต่อ
- extent: the degree to which something happens or is likely to happen - ขอบเขต
- faculty: a group of departments in a college or university which specialise in a particular subject or group of subjects - คณะ
- footage: film of a particular subject or event - ฟิลม์หรือคลิปภาพยนตร์
- gang (noun): a group of criminals who work together; a group of young people who spend time together causing trouble - แก๊ง, กลุ่มโจร
- glasses: glass or plastic lenses worn over eyes to help a person see - แว่นตา
- guarantee: to be certain that something will happen - รับรอง, รับประกัน
- hidden (adjective): when something was put in a place where people cannot see or find it - ที่ซ่อนไว้
- immediately (adv): happening right after something else with no delay; right away - ทันที
- individuals: persons - บุคคล
- institute (noun): an organization that has a particular purpose, especially one that is connected with education or a particular profession; the building used by this organisation - สถาบัน,องค์การ,วิทยาลัย,สถาบันหนึ่งของมหาวิทยาลัย
- involve (verb): to be an important or necessary part or result of something - เกี่ยวพัน, เกี่ยวข้อง, พัวพัน
- located: where something is - ตั้งอยู่
- minimum: as small in amount or degree as necessary or possible - จำนวนน้อยที่สุด, ปริมาณต่ำที่สุด
- pair: "pair of glasses" meaning "glasses with two lenses, a pair of lenses" -
- pair: two of something - คู่
- persuade: to make someone agree to do something by giving them reasons why they should - โน้มน้าวใจ เกลี้ยกล่อม
- pharmacy: a shop where medicines are prepared and sold - ร้านขายยา
- prepare (verb): put in order, get ready - เตรียม, เตรียมตัว, เตรียมพร้อม, จัดเตรียม, ตระเตรียม
- private: owned by a particular person or group - ของเอกชน
- provide: to give someone/ something that they want or need - จัดหาให้, จัดเตรียมไว้ให้
- proxy: a person or company who acts for another person or company - ตัวแทน
- re-: to do again - อีก
- reason (noun): why something happened or exists - เหตุผล
- rector: the person in charge in some universities, schools, colleges and universities - อธิการบดี
- requirement: something that you must have or do in order to do or get something else - ข้อกำหนด, ข้อบังคับ
- scam: a dishonest plan, especially for getting money - กลโกง, แผนร้าย
- share: to have or use something at the same time as someone else - ใช้ร่วมกัน
- smart (adj): intelligent, clever - ฉลาด
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- spy: a person who secretly collects and reports information about the activities of another country or organisation - สายลับ, สายสืบ
- staff: workers employed by a person or organisation considered as a group - คณะผู้ทำงาน, คนงาน
- suspicious: a feeling that someone or something cannot be trusted — - มีความสงสัย, ด้วยความสงสัย, สงสัย, พิรุธ
- syndicate: a group of people or companies who work together and help each other in order to achieve a particular aim - สมาคม, องค์การ, สหการ , การรวมกลุ่มเป็นสมาคม
- tutor: a teacher, especially one with special duties - ครูพิเศษ, ครูสอน,
- unacceptable: that you cannot accept, allow or approve of - ซึ่งไม่สามารถยอมรับได้
- venue: a place where a public event or meeting takes place - สถานที่ชุมนุม