YouTube's world of food & food influencers
From quick & easy cooking lessons to expert chefs cooking for you in their home, food influencers & social media are revolutionizing the food world.
SOCIAL MEDIA, FOOD & COOKING
YouTube's world of food & food influencers
Every week he demonstrates new recipes on YouTube, teaching how to cook soups and how to cook macaroni cheese dishes, the next.
Once Chase became well-known on YouTube with hundreds of thousands of people watching his video, established chefs joined him in his videos.
Chase is only 13-years old.
He is one of a growing group of people known as food influencers, people who influence the ideas that people have about the foods they want to cook and eat.
TV COOKING SHOWS HAVE CHANGED
Many older people remember cooking shows on TV such as Julia Child (see below) or the Galloping Gourmet (see above).
YouTube has clearly shaken things up a bit and made it possible for anyone with enough talent and persistence to create their own cooking show.
NUTRITION EXPERT'S ROAD TO INTERNET FAME
Nutrition expert Madeleine Shaw, a registered nutritionist (registered dietitian), built up a following offering healthy recipes on her blog (see here & here).
With her growing popularity she has managed to accumulate 40,000 Twitter followers and 250,000 Instagram followers.
Madeline has also published two cookbooks (Get The Glow and Ready, Steady, Glow) which she promotes on her blog.
Her internet success also got her promotional work with companies.
SOCIAL DINING PLATFORMS
What AirBnB did for hotel rooms and Uber did for taxis, VizEat is doing for restaurants.
Anyone can be a restaurant now, sending their homemade meals to eager diners or creating a intimate informal dining experience in their own home, see here:
As one of the first so-called "social dining platforms" (basically an app that matches skilled cooks with diners) the French company VizEat is experimenting with travel and tourism too, hooking up travellers with homecooked meals in homes around the world (see website here & facebook here).
The VizEat app also allows food influencers to integrate and present their various social media efforts whether they be on YouTube (see here) or Instagram (see here).
Plateculture is another social dining platform already operating in Thailand (see here).
(Note: the term often used for this sort of Uber-like service is "sharing economy", see here, or "collaborative consumption", see here).
BIG FOOD COMPANIES GETTING A PIECE OF THE ACTION
Big companies with popular brands have watched what is happening on YouTube with great interest.
Food influencers with known ability to entertain and engage large internet audiences are a natural addition to a company's promotional efforts.
For example, a food influencer named Doug Armstrong became well-known for his energetic cooking lessons, like his "Food Hacks" here:
With internet fame came a collaboration with food giant McDonald's to tell the story of how a McDonald's Big Mac is made.
Doug traveled from the farm, to the food processing factory and finally to a McDonald's restaurant in a video that garnered 2.2 million plus views, see here:
DIGITAL INFLUENCER AGENCIES
Food influencers are, in fact, a part of so-called "Influencer marketing" or "influence marketing", a new form of marketing that has arisen with social media.
The focus in this type of marketing is on key individuals with influence over buyers and marketing activities created by these influencers. Influencers run the gamut from experts in some subject, journalists, academics, industry analysts, professional advisers to satisfied customers provising testimonials.
Digital influencer agencies have popped up to connect brands and companies with these digital influencers.
Nuffnang is an example of such an agency and such agencies are appearing everywhere the influence of the internet is felt around the world.
INFLUENCERS ALLOW BRANDS TO LOCALISE CONTENT
Part of the cost of advertising in foreign markets has always been the cost of localising content.
Of course, not every kind of influence marketing is acceptable.
Influence marketing with alcohol products such as beer is not acceptable in many cultures.
Learn from listening
- a bit: a small amount -
- abridge: to make a book, play, etc. shorter by leaving parts out - ย่อ, ตัดทอน, ทำให้สั้นลง
- accumulate: to get more and more of something over a period of time - เก็บสะสม, สะสม, สั่งสมมานาน
- addition: more; more than was first mentioned or is usual - ที่เพิ่มขึ้น
- allegedly: claimed to have done something wrong, but not yet proven - ที่กล่าวหา
- application (app): a program designed to do a particular job; a piece of software - โปรแกรมใช้งาน, โปรแกรมคอมพิวเตอร์
- audience: the group of people gathered in one place to watch or listen to a play, film, someone speaking, etc. - ผู้ชม
- blog (noun): online diary, weblog, web diary - บล็อก; เว็บไซด์ที่ให้บริการบันทึกข้อมูลส่วนตัว โดยอาจจะเป็นข้อความ, ความเห็น, ข้อคิด, อักษรประดิษฐ์, รูปภาพ, เสียงเพลง ก็ได้ ซึ่งบุคคลทั่วไปสามารถเข้ามาเยี่ยมชมตลอดจนสามารถใส่ความเห็นส่วนตัวต่อเจ้าของบันทึกได้
- blogger: a person who writes and publishes a "blog" or onlone diary on the internet -
- brand: a type of product made by a particular company - ตรา, ยี่ห้อ
- built up: increase over time (build up strength, build up immunity, build up expertise) - เพิ่มขึ้นอย่างมั่นคง
- celebrity: someone who is famous, especially in the entertainment business - คนมีชื่อเสียง
- collaborative (adj): involving, or done by, several people or groups of people working together - ทำด้วยความร่วมมือกันจากหลายคน หรือ หลายฝ่าย มีการช่วยเหลือกัน เพื่อให้งานเสร็จสิ้น
- consumption: the act of using energy, food or materials; the amount used - การบริโภคพลังงาน, การใช้หมดไป
- cultural (adj.): related to the customs and beliefs, art, way of life and social organization of a particular country or group - วัฒนธรรม
- demonstrate (verb): to show something and explain how it works - สาธิต
- effort: an attempt to do something - ความพยายาม
- emerge: to start to exist; to appear - เกิดขึ้น
- engage: to cause to take part in a particular activity - ให้มีส่วนร่วมใน
- entertain: to interest and amuse somebody in order to please them - ทำให้เพลิดเพลิน, ทำให้สนุกสนาน
- erupt (verb): to start suddenly - ปะทุขึ้น
- established: be in a successful position over a long period of time - มีตำแหน่งที่มั่นคง
- excellent: extremely good - ยอดเยี่ยม, ดีเยี่ยม
- experience (verb): to have something happen to you or to live through some event - ประสบ
- experiment: to try or test new ideas, methods, etc. to find out what effect they have - ทดลอง
- expert: someone who has a particular skill or who knows a lot about a particular subject - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญ
- fame: the state of being famous or very well known - ชื่อเสียง
- fantastic (adj): extremely good - เยี่ยมยอด, วิเศษ
- follower: supporter, disciple - ผู้ติดตาม
- following: the followers of a person; people who read and listen to a person and believe in them - สมัครพรรคพวก, [ ผู้เต็มใจเข้าพวกด้วย
- gallop: (of a horse or other animal) to move very fast with each stride having a time when all four feet are off the ground together - ควบ
- garner: to obtain; to get - ได้รับ, รวบรวมได้
- hooking up: joining with - เข้าร่วมกับ
- influence: the power to have an effect on people or things - อิทธิพล
- influencer (noun): a person who influencers, i.e., a person who has the power to make somebody/something behave in a particular way - คนที่มีอิทธิพล
- informal: relaxed and friendly - กันเอง, ไม่เป็นทางการ, ไม่เคร่งครัด
- integrate: to combine things of different types in one effective system - รวมเข้าด้วยกัน
- intimate: very close, friendly and personal - คุ้นเคย, ใกล้ชิด, สนิทสนม
- massive: very large in size, amount or number - ใหญ่โต
- meal: the food that you serve or eat at one time - มื้ออาหาร
- natural: normal; as you would expect - ตามธรรมชาติ, เหมือนจริง
- norms: standards of behaviour that are accepted in a society - จารีต
- nutrition: food considered as something that keeps you healthy - โภชนาการ
- overview: a description or picture of the main features of something - การดูคร่าวๆ, การอธิบายคร่าวๆ
- paraphrase: to express what somebody has said or written using different words, especially in order to make it easier to understand - การถอดความ, การแปลความ
- performance: the act of carrying out some type of entertainment or sport - การแสดง
- persistence: continuing to do or say something in a determined way - ยืนกราน
- popular (adj): a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - เป็นที่นิยม, เป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- popularity: a situation in which someone or something is liked by many people - ความเป็นที่นิยม, ความเป็นที่ชื่นชอบ
- promote: to encourage or support something - สนับสนุน
- promotional (adj.): related activities done in order to increase the attendance at an event or sales of a product or service - การส่งเสริม
- recipe: a set of instructions for cooking or preparing a particular food - วิธีปรุง, ตำรากับข้าว
- registered dietitian (noun): "Registered Dietitians (RD or RDN) are dietitians who meet academic and professional requirements, including earning at least a bachelor's degree, and fulfilling a specially-designed, accredited nutrition curriculum, passing a registration exam, and completing a supervised program of practice at a health care facility, foodservice organization or community agency." (Source: Wikipedia) -
- scandal (noun): a situation in which people behave in a dishonest or immoral way that shocks people - เรื่องอื้อฉาว
- shaken things up: change things a lot -
- share: to have or use something at the same time as someone else - ใช้ร่วมกัน
- soar: to rise very quickly to a high level - มีความหวังสูง,พุ่งพรวดขึ้น
- social media: the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into an interactive dialogue, e.g., Facebook, Twitter, etc. - เครือข่ายสังคมออนไลน์
- success (noun): achieving the goals you wanted to achieve or made a lot of money - มีผลสำเร็จ, ประสบผลสำเร็จ, ประสบชัยชนะ
- summary (noun): a short statement that gives only the main points of something, not the details - ใจความสรุป, ใจความสำคัญ, สาระสำคัญ
- talent: a natural ability to be good at something, especially without being taught - ความสามารถพิเศษ
- version: a particular form of something which varies slightly from other forms of the same thing - ชุด, เวอร์ชั่น