Hua Lamphong enters its last 2 years
published : 8 May 2017 at 07:04
writer: Terry Fredrickson
Bangkok Post photographer Wichan Charoenkiatpakul spends a day at Hua Lamphong railway station which is scheduled to close in 2019.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Railway station nears end of line
Every day, thousands of people from all walks of life pass through Hua Lamphong railway station in Bangkok.
The station has been serving travellers in Thailand for more than 100 years. Some are full of hope of finding a new life in the big city on arrival. Some are bidding farewell to their families and friends. Some are lost in the flow of people. Hua Lamphong has witnessed lots of emotions.
The station was considered modern when it opened in 1916 after six years of construction, but in the next few years Hua Lamphong will become a memory. The State Railway of Thailand plans to relocate Bangkok’s central station to Bang Sue in 2019. Hua Lamphong will then be turned into a museum.
Travellers will be able to appreciate the station’s unique architectural style. Influenced by European architecture, Hua Lamphong’s steel structure features an arched roof with two ends decorated with stained glass windows. Its design showcases the elegant use of marble and an iconic clock.
Over the years, the station has been constantly renovated. Hua Lamphong has always exuded warmth to welcome passengers passing through the station to find their destiny.
Learn from listening
- all walks of life: all parts of society , e.g., rich, poor, educated , uneducated, rural, city -
- appreciate (verb): to recognise for having good or special qualities - ประทับใจ, ซาบซึ้ง
- arch: a curved structure at the top of a door, window, or gate - โครงสร้างที่มีรูปโค้ง
- architectural: involving styles or ways of designing buildings - ในเชิงสถาปัตยกรรม
- architecture: a particular style or way of designing buildings - สถาปัตยกรรม, รูปแบบการก่อสร้าง
- arrival: when someone reaches where they are going (arrives) - ขาเข้า การเข้ามา
- consider: to regard as; to think of as - ถือว่า
- constantly: continuously; all the time - อย่างต่อเนื่อง
- construction: the work of building or making something, especially buildings, bridges, etc. - การก่อสร้าง
- decorate: to make something look more attractive by putting nice things on it or in it - ประดับ, ตกแต่ง
- destiny (noun): what happens to somebody or what will happen to them in the future, especially things that they cannot change or avoid - ชะตากรรม, เคราะห์กรรม
- elegant: attractive and showing a good sense of style - สวยงาม, งดงาม, สละสลวย
- emotion: strong feeling such as anger or love, or strong feelings in general - อารมณ์
- exude (adj): to show/have a particular feeling or quality - ไหลซึมออก, ซึมออกมา
- feature: to include someone or something as an important part - มีบทบาทสำคัญใน
- flow: continuous movement - การไหล
- hope (noun): a belief that something you want will happen; something that you wish for - ความหวัง
- iconic: acting as a sign or symbol of something - เป็นสัญลักษณ์แทนบาง
- influence: to affect or change how someone or something develops, behaves or thinks - มีอิทธิพลต่อ, ชักจูง อำนาจบังคับ
- marble: a type of hard stone that is usually white and often has coloured lines in it. It can be polished and is used in building and for making statues, etc - หินอ่อน
- memory (noun): something that you remember from the past; the ability to remember information, experiences and people - ความจำ
- museum: a building where objects of historical, scientific or artistic interest are kept - พิพิธภัณฑ์
- railway: the whole transportation system of trains connecting stations along rail tracks - รางรถไฟ, ระบบทางรถไฟ
- relocate: to move something to a new place - ย้ายที่ใหม่
- renovate: to make something old look new again by repairing and improving it, especially a building - การตบแต่งหรือซ่อมปรับปรุงสถานที่
- showcase: to show the best qualities or parts of something - แสดง,ทำให้เห็นจุดเด่น
- stained glass: pieces of coloured glass that are put together to make windows, especially in churches - กระจกหุง
- state: government - รัฐบาล
- steel (noun): a strong hard metal that is made of a mixture of iron and carbon - เหล็ก
- structure: something large such as a building or a bridge that is built from different parts - โครงสร้าง
- unique: being the only one of its kind - ซึ่งเป็นหนึ่งเดียว
- witness (verb): to see something happen - มองเห็น, เป็นพยาน