It's true - it's Pu
Foreign Minister confirms Yingluck in London since Sept
published : 9 Jan 2018 at 13:27
writer: Gregory Morrissey
Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai confirmed on Tuesday that fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra has been in London since September and possibly carries a foreign passport as her Thai passports were revoked.
Mr Don said Yingluck may have used a passport issued by another country to enter the UK, because all four of her Thai passports were officially revoked.
A fresh photo said to be of Yingluck and a friend, taken in London during the New Year period, went viral early last week. It followed an earlier photo of a woman resembling Yingluck which surfaced late last month and was reported to have been taken on Dec 26 at Westfield Shopping Centre in West London.
The latest picture supposedly shows the ex-premier with a Thai woman outside Harrod's in London. National police chief Pol Gen Srivara Ransibraham said the photo was probably authentic.
Yingluck disappeared shortly before Aug 25 when the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions was scheduled to deliver judgement in her rice-pledging scheme corruption trial.
In her absence the court postponed the ruling to Sept 27, when it handed Yingluck a five-year jail term for failure to stop false and corrupt government-to-government sales of rice from the rice programme even though she had been told of the irregularities. It also issued a fresh warrant for her arrest.
Learn from listening
- angle: point of view; perspective; a particular way of considering or understanding something - ทัศนคติ
- asylum: the right to stay in a country, given by a government to protect someone who has escaped from war or political trouble in their own country - การลี้ภัย
- authentic: real, not false or copied - ของแท้
- extradition: sending someone accused of a crime back to the country where the crime was committed for trial or punishment - การส่งผู้ร้ายข้ามแดน
- irregularity: a situation in which the rules, laws, or usual ways of doing things have not been followed - การปฏิบัติที่ไม่เป็นไปตามระเบียบปกติ
- relations: official dealings between countries - ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างประเทศ
- resemble (verb): to be like or look like someone or something else - มีลักษณะคล้ายกับ
- revoke: to officially say that something is no longer legal - เพิกถอน
- rice-pledging scheme: a government programme in which farmers sell rice to the government at a particular price, with the right to reclaim the rice if the market price goes higher - โครงการจำนำข้าว
- status: official or legal position - สถานภาพ
- surface: to become known or seen - เป็นที่รู้, ปรากฏ, เปิดเผย
- viral: (of a video, photo, story, etc.) spread across the internet very quickly (like a virus spreading a disease) as people share it with their friends or the news media reports on it - แพร่กระจายผ่านทางอินเทอร์เน็ตอย่างรวดเร็ว
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย