Yingluck's home, assets seized
Victims of rice-sharing scheme to be compensated
Over 30 assets belonging to former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra have been seized by the Legal Execution Department to cover some of the losses of her administration's failed rice-pledging scheme, her lawyer said on Wednesday.
The assets include a house on Soi Nawamin 111 of North Bangkok where the fugitive ex-politician spent most of her time before fleeing the country. She left Thailand in late August to escape a two-year prison term handed down by the Supreme Court in her criminal negligence trial.
Yingluck valued the house at 110 million baht in her declared assets, putting it at the top of the list of seized items.
The Finance Ministry authorised the operation to help compensate victims of her administration's flagship policy.
Yingluck's whereabouts over the last five months remain unknown but photos surfaced online recently suggesting she is in London.
Learn from listening
- assets: things owned by a person, company etc., particularly money and property - ทรัพย์สิน
- auction: to sell through an auction (a usually public sale of goods or property, where people make higher and higher bids for each thing, until the thing is sold to the person who will pay most - การขายโดยการประมูล, การขายทอดตลาด) นำไปขายโดยการประมูล
- compensate: to pay money to someone because something bad has happened to them - ชดเชย
- concerted: involving a lot of people or organizations working together in a determined way - ที่กระทำร่วมกัน
- damages: money that a court awards to a person who sued another person for causing injury to them -
- declare: to tell the tax authorities or other government agency how much money or other assets you have or have have earned - แจ้ง, เปิดเผย
- extradite: to officially send back someone who has been accused or found guilty of a crime to the country where the crime was committed for a trial - ส่งตัวกลับ
- flagship: the most important product, service, building, etc. that an organisation owns or produces - ผลิตภัณฑ์หรือบริการหลัก
- flee (past form: fled) (verb): to leave a place or person quickly because you are afraid of possible danger or consequences - หนี
- fugitive (noun): someone who has been accused of doing something illegal and is trying to avoid being caught by the police - ผู้หลบหนี
- negligence: when you do not give enough care or attention to someone or something - ความประมาท, ความไม่เอาใจใส่
- parcels of land: separate pieces of land -
- seize assets: to officially take away things own by a person or organisation, e.g., money, equipment, property, etc. - ยึดหรืออายัดทรัพย์สิน
- slammed: strongly criticised - วิพากษ์วิจารณ์อย่างรุนแรง
- whereabouts: where someone is -